PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 13 Dec 2016, 05:38   #6451
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Rock (1996)

I remember seeing this in the theaters 20 years ago. Also remember that I thought that this was a crap movie and was suprised so many liked it. Watched it again after 20 years and I was right. This is a crappy movie. Big budget, sure. But very very poor executed.

3/10
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2016, 01:44   #6452
Adje
trying to be realistic

Aliens (1986)

This movie just makes me appreciate the original Alien movie more and more. Aliens is now my third favorite in the franchise (and if you count Prometheus in this franchise it is my 4th favorite). I think Aliens is highly overrated and has become a typical 80's flick. Only Alien Resurrection was worse.

6,5/10
Old 15 Dec 2016, 02:55   #6453
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

"Get Santa" (2014) (Executive Producer: Ridley Scott!)

Some good heartwarming bits I'm sure kids and adults would enjoy.
Many clever homages to great films such as "Shawshank Redemption", "The Godfather", "ET". In fact the end is maybe a bit too ET-y I'd say.

Ultimately falls short somewhat to be a long term Christmas classic in the vein of "Home Alone", "Santa Clause The Movie" and "Christmas Vacation" etc. Could have been a little bit better developed and just less dirty jokes / toilet humour which is just a bit too silly for the pro actors, pro effects, pro music and pro cinematography they had.

Broadbent, the reindeer and the squirrel were great though.

6/10
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2016, 05:13   #6454
Adje
trying to be realistic

Desperado (1995)

The opening scene with Steve Buscemi is simply fantastic. Banderas in his best role and many fun scenes to enjoy. A classic!

7,5/10
Old 15 Dec 2016, 05:14   #6455
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Desperado (1995)

The opening scene with Steve Buscemi is simply fantastic. Banderas in his best role and many fun scenes to enjoy. A classic!

7,5/10
So no Rogue One midnight viewing for you either tonight?
Old 15 Dec 2016, 05:16   #6456
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
So no Rogue One midnight viewing for you either tonight?
If it was Star Wars, I would have. Maybe this weekend if I find the time
btw I am sure I will like it. It just doesn't bring my Star Wars Enthusiasm hype up. But already certain I will love this more than anything of the prequel trilogy combined

Last edited by Adje; 15 Dec 2016 at 05:21.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Dec 2016, 00:12   #6457
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

A Nightmare Before Christmas. Doesn't leave a lasting impact but Visually inventive and good fun. 3/5
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2016, 22:03   #6458
Adje
trying to be realistic

Rogue One: a Star Wars story (2016)

Almost 40 years after Star Wars there finally is a prequel!

Forget Episode 1, 2 and 3. Rogue One is the true prequel to the Star Wars Trilogy. Although the movie is more of a war drama than a space adventure, it manages to give you that Star Wars feeling that the prequel trilogy failed to do. Sure those prequels shared the well known characters but it lacked everything that is Star Wars. Rogue One, suprisingly, managed to pull you in the Star Wars universe with a completely different story and characters.

8,5/10
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Dec 2016, 22:43   #6459
AndrewG

Quote:
Rogue One: a Star Wars story (2016)

Almost 40 years after Star Wars there finally is a prequel!

Forget Episode 1, 2 and 3. Rogue One is the true prequel to the Star Wars Trilogy. Although the movie is more of a war drama than a space adventure, it manages to give you that Star Wars feeling that the prequel trilogy failed to do. Sure those prequels shared the well known characters but it lacked everything that is Star Wars. Rogue One, suprisingly, managed to pull you in the Star Wars universe with a completely different story and characters.

8,5/10
Great, seeing it tomorrow in 4DX.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 Dec 2016, 04:22   #6460
Adje
trying to be realistic

Bad Santa (2003)

This movie is so wrong but has a few incredible funny scenes.

7/10
Old 18 Dec 2016, 23:17   #6461
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

Never liked any of the Muppet movies but this one is brilliant.

7,5/10
Old 19 Dec 2016, 02:29   #6462
AndrewG

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Really enjoyed it. It took a bit of time getting to know the characters and to like them but this all comes good towards the end. A few background stories maybe a bit unecessary and leads to some compilations (for example how the young female loses track of the Forest Whitaker character).

It almost got a little meh a few times but stick with it as it all resolves and makes sense. I absolutely adore the last 30 minutes. They are perfect and what a super prequel it then is.

Better than any of the prequels but not as good as the other four films. Perhaps almost on par with Return of the Jedi for me (that one is a bit meh in places too - the somewhat repetitive carry on on Endor for example - but resolves perfectly as does Rogue One)

4dx effects during the battle were outstanding. 3D on its own is becoming meh for me.

8/10

Last edited by AndrewG; 19 Dec 2016 at 02:35.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 04:46   #6463
Adje
trying to be realistic

I agree. The first hour is slow. But I love how this one explains some of the issues that fans had with the original Star Wars movie (like why the Empire didn't fix that one flaw in the Death Star, that made it able to destroy. Or why Luke was Red 5 in Star Wars at his first rebel mission)

And there are so many nods too, also plenty of cameos. And the last 30 or 40 minutes are the perfect connection to the original trilogy.

That's why I said that this is a true prequel.

My star Wars ranking

Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars
Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the clones and the Phantom Menace (terrible movies)
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 10:35   #6464
AndrewG

I agree with that ranking!
I wonder now that the story is tied up at the start if Disney will release the unaltered versions of the original trilogy on Blu ray and digital or if Lucas hid them in an R2 unit somewhere.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 15:57   #6465
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Hoping to see Rogue One in the next couple of days
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 19 Dec 2016, 16:13   #6466
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I agree with that ranking!
I wonder now that the story is tied up at the start if Disney will release the unaltered versions of the original trilogy on Blu ray and digital or if Lucas hid them in an R2 unit somewhere.
Disney doesn't own the rights to the original movie. Not many seem to know this. Disney owns the rights to use the SW characters and storyline etc. But for the next few years they don't have the release rights.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 19:26   #6467
Adje
trying to be realistic

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

Chevy Chase in this Holiday masterpiece. Eventhough I can almost dream every line, it's the movie I watch every year.

8/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 19:42   #6468
AndrewG

Quote:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

Chevy Chase in this Holiday masterpiece. Eventhough I can almost dream every line, it's the movie I watch every year.

8/10

Quote:
Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny ~~~~ing Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of assholes this side of the nuthouse.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 20:50   #6469
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring Extended Edition

Stunningly good. Still as engrossing now as it was then. Epic yet character driven. Dark but humorous. Long but leaves you wanting more. I still remember how blown away I was seeing it at the cinema the first time around. I still love it now. An ultra rare 5/5.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 20 Dec 2016, 22:07   #6470
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring Extended Edition

Stunningly good. Still as engrossing now as it was then. Epic yet character driven. Dark but humorous. Long but leaves you wanting more. I still remember how blown away I was seeing it at the cinema the first time around. I still love it now. An ultra rare 5/5.
Haha, we don't share the same passion.

Felowship 3/5
Two Towers 2/5
Return of th King 1,5/5

For me these films started the downfall of a director I held very high. Very ambitious, very pasionated but also coming short on too many apects. I appreciate the love fans have for this trilogy (my best friend is a pasionate fan of the movies) but I never shared that same feeling

But if you like them, I think this is the right time of the year to enjoy them
Old 20 Dec 2016, 22:47   #6471
AndrewG

LOTR. Once was enough.
Harry Potter. Once (first film) was too much.

Really don't care for these fantasy movies. I like it when Sci Fi movies have some conventions & boundaries and push them somewhat (Star Wars / Star Trek / Back To The Future).

Total fantasy where you can suddenly encounter goblins, woblins, dwarfs, broomstick flying games, elves, endless battles and walking trees just doesn't do it for me at all.

I did really enjoy Malefecent & Frozen however. I'd rate them 9/10 both. But they both stayed in a somewhat conventional setting I'd argue.

Two of the absolute worst "Fantasy" movies I saw in the cinema were Hugo (sooo boring) and The Seeker: The Dark is Rising (atrocious).
Old 21 Dec 2016, 03:35   #6472
Adje
trying to be realistic

Buba Ho-Tep (2002)

Elvis and JFK, both alive and in a nursing home, fight for the souls of their fellow residents as they battle an ancient Egyptian Mummy.

Bruce Campbell as Elvis in a movie that is boyh depressing and funny as hell at the same time.

8/10
Old 27 Dec 2016, 21:45   #6473
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition

Again with the extraordinary. The return of Gandalf. The rescuing of Theoden. Gimli doing long distance running. The last March of the Ents. The battle of Helms Deep. Gollum.

Breathtaking film making.

5/5.
Old 27 Dec 2016, 21:54   #6474
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Finding Dory.

At their best, Pixar films blow me away. The Toy Story trilogy. Up. Wall E. Inside Out. And of course the original triumph that was Finding Nemo.

Finding Dory for me doesn't quite make it up to that standard. It's just a little bit too predictable. A little bit too safe. A serious of mild perils are encountered each of which are relatively easily over come. Pixar at it's inventive best shows you things you hadn't seen before or even imagined. In this film some of the scenes are very basically lifted from the first film. I would welcome the odd nostalgic reference if the remainder of the film was packed with inventive laugh out loud or heart in mouth moments.

Sadly it isn't. Apart from a beautiful slow mo bit at the end that shows the Pixar inventiveness and sly humour finally kicking into top gear the rest is relatively uninspired.

However, please don't get the impression it is a bad film. Far from it. It was quite funny, well acted, beautifully designed, the Septopus was great, and everyone of course lives happily ever after.

Just don't expect to be blown away.

4/5
Old 28 Dec 2016, 18:39   #6475
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Finding Dory.

At their best, Pixar films blow me away. The Toy Story trilogy. Up. Wall E. Inside Out. And of course the original triumph that was Finding Nemo.

Finding Dory for me doesn't quite make it up to that standard. It's just a little bit too predictable. A little bit too safe. A serious of mild perils are encountered each of which are relatively easily over come. Pixar at it's inventive best shows you things you hadn't seen before or even imagined. In this film some of the scenes are very basically lifted from the first film. I would welcome the odd nostalgic reference if the remainder of the film was packed with inventive laugh out loud or heart in mouth moments.

Sadly it isn't. Apart from a beautiful slow mo bit at the end that shows the Pixar inventiveness and sly humour finally kicking into top gear the rest is relatively uninspired.

However, please don't get the impression it is a bad film. Far from it. It was quite funny, well acted, beautifully designed, the Septopus was great, and everyone of course lives happily ever after.

Just don't expect to be blown away.

4/5
Actually having thought about it some more I think 3/5 is more accurate.