PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 29 Apr 2019, 01:15   #1
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

Default If there were one more album!

I'd love to think that there could be one more album...

I've written the track list for what it could be and included 5 tracks of songs I've written(*). The concept is very much characters in their twilight years. Down with the ship is a Captain remembering is favourite sea voyage, Bring me my Sword; a old knight riding into what he knows will be is last battle etc...

Here's the track list. What do you think?

Meat Loaf - 

The Graveyard Shift 

The Graveyard Shift
Lone Wolf*

Making Love out of Nothing at All
You’ve Got to Love me with the Sun in your Eyes (until you go blind)

Down with the Ship*

What Part of My Body Hurts the Most?
Vaults of Heaven
Bring me my Sword*

Death of a Salesman*
City Night Feat Ellen Foley

Tonight is what it means to be Young

Not Allowed to Love
Losing My Grip*

We’re Still the Children Feat Ellen Foley, Karla Devito, Patti Russo, Mrs Loud, Bonnie Tyler, Todd Rundgren and Rory Dodd
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2019, 16:07   #2
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Nice idea. There is always hope. I don't think "Braver" sold all that much so not sure if any record company would release it if Meat recovers enough to sing again. I'm not sure how much of his vocal strength involved using his back, but when singing live he always seemed to kind of scrunch down to project his vocal power at times.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2019, 01:54   #3
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Love it, would only add Total Eclipse Of The Heart. An A game Meat would nail it. I think of his back recovers with all the rest his voice has had, maybe he could get back to real vocal strength and health. He could use his band to record and produce songs and release them online relatively cheaply.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2019, 12:58   #4
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

Yes, I don't think there'd ever be a problem finding someone to release the work. I always thought Meat could have made things a lot easier on himself by performing (live or in the studio) in a more relaxed manner... but then he wouldn't be Meat. Still interesting to think what he'd sound like signing in a more laid-back way, though.
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2019, 19:19   #5
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

When they were auditioning songs for HCTB and accepting submissions in the industry, I remember being told they were looking for simple, three-to-four-chord blues that wasn't taxing on the voice. That's... obviously not what they ended up with. But once I heard it, especially after the events in Newcastle at the end of the "Three Bats" tour, I thought it was a step in the right direction.

If Meat had one more album, I'd like to hear him do that, stuff in the vein of "For What It's Worth." Music from his youth, music that inspired him, very stripped down like Rick Rubin's work with Johnny Cash. Nothing but Meat, a single instrument (be it piano or guitar), and a microphone. Four takes of each song, cut together the best vocal, no filters, no major adjustments, no over-production and scads of background vocals (I wouldn't even wanna hear another voice on the album, ever) and orchestrations, just "Meat Loaf unplugged."
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 May 2019, 20:41   #6
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I'd still love to hear a stripped down, acoustic, lower key and somewhat haunting version of BAT, AFL, etc. A storytellers set up would great for a bunch of intimate dates - sitting down, acoustic, atmosphere, stories. Tempered and subtle versions of those songs like they've never been done before.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 02 May 2019, 22:28   #7
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
When they were auditioning songs for HCTB and accepting submissions in the industry, I remember being told they were looking for simple, three-to-four-chord blues that wasn't taxing on the voice. That's... obviously not what they ended up with. But once I heard it, especially after the events in Newcastle at the end of the "Three Bats" tour, I thought it was a step in the right direction.

If Meat had one more album, I'd like to hear him do that, stuff in the vein of "For What It's Worth." Music from his youth, music that inspired him, very stripped down like Rick Rubin's work with Johnny Cash. Nothing but Meat, a single instrument (be it piano or guitar), and a microphone. Four takes of each song, cut together the best vocal, no filters, no major adjustments, no over-production and scads of background vocals (I wouldn't even wanna hear another voice on the album, ever) and orchestrations, just "Meat Loaf unplugged."
His voice on HCTB was the best it had been in some time. Maybe those other songs were on HIAH, I remember Meat saying Cavallo said some of the songs he had were not for the HCTB album but save them for something else. I think Braver was a step in the more stripped down sound, to be Steinman (written) songs the piano was obviously understated and so was Jim's normal "bombast" he is famous for, I feel like Paul and Meat worked out the sound they wanted that fit his then current voice. I'd love to hear Meat sing again if he is well enough to record and in a good place vocally. With CD's going the way of the dinosaur I think they'd have to use online distribution kind of like that Caleb Johnson project did I bought that but have no idea what it cost to make or what they made back off it. Is Caleb even doing that show now?
Old 03 May 2019, 16:14   #8
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post

Death of a Salesman*
What a song title!
Made me chuckle.
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2019, 16:07   #9
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Meat needs to stop throwing himself off stages if he's to record one last album.

I'd settle for a couple of new songs for a greatest hits type of thing. What Part Of My Body (obviously) and Still The Children done as a duet with Jim (or a quartet with Ellen and Karla) With proper full on Steinman style production, not the sparse style of the last couple of albums. I'm not particularly fussed about Not Allowed To Love as I don't think it's one of Jim's better efforts.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2019, 15:14   #10
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
...Still The Children done as a duet with Jim ...With proper full on Steinman style production
Sadly this is fantasy.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 21:58   #11
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

[QUOTE=ThatWriterGuy;623427]Sadly this is fantasy.[/QUOTE

Is a shame, but sadly not surprising. However, a duet with Bonnie Tyler on say Body could still be awesome. Her new album is great bluesy rock.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 23:34   #12
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Sadly this is fantasy.
Presumably from all of your comments one can likely surmise that Jim is in very dire health. That is the "hint" I keep getting.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 00:21   #13
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Well, he ain't saying Jim joined a gym.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 08:25   #14
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Sadly this is fantasy.
Not necessarily. As I'm sure you're well aware, Jim recorded at least one vocal take for this song 20 years ago. It' s not exactly the best, but with today's technology I'm sure at least parts of it could be used.

YouTube Video
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2019, 09:12   #15
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
~Her new album is great bluesy rock.
Yes it is.
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2019, 13:29   #16
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Not necessarily. As I'm sure you're well aware, Jim recorded at least one vocal take for this song 20 years ago. It' s not exactly the best, but with today's technology I'm sure at least parts of it could be used.

YouTube Video
That's actually very true - I never considered the use of those old recordings in that context. Not sure that they would ever go that way, but who knows. In theory it works.