PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 10 Aug 2019, 04:53   #1
Adje
trying to be realistic

Default Meat Loaf Q&A from last month GalaxyCon

GalaxyCon posted a new video today with the complete Q&A with Meat Loaf. Some funny anekdotes and more. Go have a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlnEA_yteA
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 10 Aug 2019, 22:04   #2
anotherday
Super Loafer

Great to see him! THanks for sharing!
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2019, 13:47   #3
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Meat looks reasonably well considering all he's been through recently, but I can't see him ever belting out Bat Out Of Hell on stage again.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 11 Aug 2019, 13:52   #4
nightinr
Super Loafer

Wow Meat is sounding fantastic...the best he has sounded in years. Quick thinking, witty replies reminding me of interviews from 20 years ago.

Hopefully his physical health continues to improve.

Thanks for sharing appreciated.
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2019, 18:40   #5
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

I live about 90 miles from the convention and I only learned he'd be there a couple of days before. I had been struggling with my own back issues so I doubt if I had bought tickets early I would have been able to stand as long as you do at conventions. Just walking was enough pain for me. This makes twice I had a chance to meet him and it did not happen either time. I'm glad he is doing OK. Going to catch the video.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2019, 20:42   #6
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Meat looks reasonably well considering all he's been through recently, but I can't see him ever belting out Bat Out Of Hell on stage again.
Given all he puts into it, that may be best for his health. We don't know but having spent a month in the hospital from a fall would indicate he has to be careful. If his singing voice is good maybe another album or at least a song for a film or another greatest hits.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 15:23   #7
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Good to see him looking good but seriously, why in the name of holy jehova do people constantly ask the same questions for decades?! Even questions like: "I'd like you to describe the Bat out of hell demo rejections again." In other words, they have heard that story, but just want to hear it again.

He just explained "That" and a woman still wanted to ask him about it. Mental.

Not a single person asked him what he still has planned or if he watches recent movies or likes current music or what he still wants to sing. Or even a question about the band with Caleb.
So bizarre. Always the obvious stuff he has told so often and has even been recorded on the Bat out of Hell documentary and Storytellers thing.

Last edited by AndrewG; 15 Aug 2019 at 15:33.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 15 Aug 2019, 17:03   #8
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Good to see him looking good but seriously, why in the name of holy jehova do people constantly ask the same questions for decades?! Even questions like: "I'd like you to describe the Bat out of hell demo rejections again." In other words, they have heard that story, but just want to hear it again.

He just explained "That" and a woman still wanted to ask him about it. Mental.

Not a single person asked him what he still has planned or if he watches recent movies or likes current music or what he still wants to sing. Or even a question about the band with Caleb.
So bizarre. Always the obvious stuff he has told so often and has even been recorded on the Bat out of Hell documentary and Storytellers thing.
Gotta agree, I think it is really cool that fans get to ask those questions and they did pay for the experience so have the right to ask what they want but sometimes it is frustrating to hear stuff that is already known.

I'd be really interested in hearing a proper sit down Q&A with him that covers his whole career. Things like how he feels nowadays about those none Jim albums like Midnight/Bad Attitude/BBIS/CHSIB/etc. Are their any songs he especially loves from them, that he enjoyed performing?

I think some of the things he said were a bit weird too, especially the regarding him not appearing on album covers, considering he is pictured on the back of Bat 1 and the front of Midnight and Blind :P I suppose that was beyond his control tho?
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2019, 18:41   #9
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmoorehead View Post
Gotta agree, I think it is really cool that fans get to ask those questions and they did pay for the experience so have the right to ask what they want but sometimes it is frustrating to hear stuff that is already known.

I'd be really interested in hearing a proper sit down Q&A with him that covers his whole career. Things like how he feels nowadays about those none Jim albums like Midnight/Bad Attitude/BBIS/CHSIB/etc. Are their any songs he especially loves from them, that he enjoyed performing?

I think some of the things he said were a bit weird too, especially the regarding him not appearing on album covers, considering he is pictured on the back of Bat 1 and the front of Midnight and Blind :P I suppose that was beyond his control tho?
He also appeared on a lot of the single sleeves from what I remember.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 12:05   #10
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

I think with things like the album covers, he's looking at it generally - that he isn't the type of artist to put himself on the covers. Though he could well have just forgotten about Midnight and Blind. We all overlook things.

It does always baffle me at Q&A events when the so-called fans ask the same tired things over and over again, things that even the most casual of fans would already know. And at one point in that session, Meat had to interrupt the audience member who's already started to tell the story himself! Crazy.

Would love to see Meat do more of this, though. I was at the one he did in London last summer, and that was really good. He was on great form for that one. And it would be nice to hear more about any album that isn't 'Bat Out Of Hell' (much as we all love it). It's the same when it comes to documentaries or biographies about him - there's a bit on his childhood, a few words about theatre work and meeting Jim, then there's Bat, and that's about it.
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Aug 2019, 13:37   #11
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer

Quote:
Meat had to interrupt the audience member who's already started to tell the story himself!
Audience members at Q&As or whatever can be a nightmare. I walked out of a panel I was giving once because of one audience member who wouldn't shut up throughout the entire thing. Constantly interrupted me and felt the need to give the presentation for me. Immensely frustrating and upsetting experience.

---

I would love to see a proper album by album retrospective from Meat where someone does sit down with him and goes through each album. We maybe hear a story or two about the recording of the album, his fav/least fav songs from it. It is frustrating when you kinda see people talk about Meats career and they go

"Born -> Rocky Horror -> Jim -> Bat -> *Some stuff happened in the 80s I guess* -> Anything For Love -> *Shrug* -> Bat 3/Whatever the latest album is.

Not everything Meat has done has been perfect, Midnight/Bad Attitude/Blind aren't amazing albums but there are some real gems on each of them that are worth listening to and should be held up higher and it always seems like a shame to have them skipped over.
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 15:02   #12
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

That would be great - we've all seen that he is such a vivid storyteller as to make it well worth doing. There must be some fantastic behind-the-scenes stories from all those years. The albums might not be universally hailed as classics, but each have their own die-hard fans and all are pieces of the overall picture. To dismiss them so lightly is a crime - and a frustration to many of us.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 16:15   #13
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

In spite of the fact that Meat did a biography. I found it disappointing that the music was given short attention. I would like to see him do a serious sit-down interview just about his career. They could play some short clips (I suppose copyright could be an issue) but go through the whole process. What did he feel about the song or album then and has that changed now. Which songs were gems and which ones he did not really care for (especially on the MATLAF album which he has called "demos"). How did it feel touring small clubs and going back to the top in '93. There is a story of persistence and inspiration there.

I was most amazed that he was not asked if there could be another album realistically. I don't think he could get tour insurance if he wanted it, one fall and the tour is over.I'd also like to know if his back injury has affected his voice, does he still sing and do vocal exercises when he is able? Stuff like that.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 16:36   #14
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

In London last year he was belting out a tune every so often - not much admittedly, just a line or two at a time - but a couple of times during his talk and also when speaking with fans at the signing session. In his talk he was convinced he'd be back on stage before long. It was nice to see his determination, and nice to think we'll see more work from him, but I honestly can't picture any touring ahead. But best of luck to him - he's not a quitter and we'll no doubt see more surprises when he's feeling stronger. Some more personal appearances, maybe a record, that second book he's long spoken about... I'd be happy with that.

And somebody needs to get out to his house with a film-crew and start on a lengthy documentary/interview focusing on everything after 'Bat'. I think we've all decided on that much.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Aug 2019, 23:15   #15
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfreeman View Post
In London last year he was belting out a tune every so often - not much admittedly, just a line or two at a time - but a couple of times during his talk and also when speaking with fans at the signing session. In his talk he was convinced he'd be back on stage before long. It was nice to see his determination, and nice to think we'll see more work from him, but I honestly can't picture any touring ahead. But best of luck to him - he's not a quitter and we'll no doubt see more surprises when he's feeling stronger. Some more personal appearances, maybe a record, that second book he's long spoken about... I'd be happy with that.

And somebody needs to get out to his house with a film-crew and start on a lengthy documentary/interview focusing on everything after 'Bat'. I think we've all decided on that much.
all of those things would be great. The in-depth interview would be amazing, as he says he was known as "never shuts up" so I'm sure he could cover much of his career at length. I'd love to see him live but only if his health allows it. He might be able to sing while seated, but I don't think they have made the chair that can contain him on-stage.

He seemed to be working on a compilation some time back, even asking fans if they had copies of things. He also has tons of soundboards. He was going to release one here a couple years back but was concerned people would copy it and sell it. But, frankly I don't think you can avoid that happening.

Vh-1 has the material to make the ultimate DVD, maybe even upconvert to the highest possible resolution. I do recall he said the copyrights and contracts on that stuff could get tricky.

I don't think he will ever stop working on something, he just needs the right outlets for it.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 09:19   #16
Tina.K.
Braver than she is 🤔

Last week he was with Paul Crook at a Queen concert where they met Brian May and Roger Taylor. I’m quite sure it triggered him to do some music in the future in a possible way to him. Maybe they chatted about it. Let’s hope so. Even if he can’t do gigs anymore, he might find a way to be on stage or make another album. I’m very curious about his voice now. If I was at the comic con I would probably ask him about the future, how his voice is now and if he could sing a line from a song from Braver, cause he loves that album.
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2019, 17:35   #17
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina.K. View Post
Last week he was with Paul Crook at a Queen concert where they met Brian May and Roger Taylor. I’m quite sure it triggered him to do some music in the future in a possible way to him. Maybe they chatted about it. Let’s hope so. Even if he can’t do gigs anymore, he might find a way to be on stage or make another album. I’m very curious about his voice now. If I was at the comic con I would probably ask him about the future, how his voice is now and if he could sing a line from a song from Braver, cause he loves that album.
I was amazed he got no questions about the future. Maybe people think he is retired or something. I'm sure back issues are a consideration on singing since so much of the body is involved, especially when you have such a big voice like Meat does. I think an album is somewhat likely, much like "Braver" I suspect it will be any odd songs Jim has stashed about and Jim's involvement will be about the same which is extremely minimal. Depending on how many Jim has and is willing to allow use of, he may have to add some other writer's work as well. I would like a new producer or go back to Rob Cavallo. No offense to Paul but "Braver" lacked the "big sound" especially piano. Maybe he had to work around the limitations of Meat's health though so that may be the reason in fairness to Paul..
I could see him doing an album more than a tour, he disliked all the travel over a decade ago and his injury landing him in the hospital for a month is a big concern.
Old 19 Aug 2019, 21:03   #18
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
I think an album is somewhat likely, much like "Braver" I suspect it will be any odd songs Jim has stashed about and Jim's involvement will be about the same which is extremely minimal. Depending on how many Jim has and is willing to allow use of, he may have to add some other writer's work as well.
Jim has more than enough material left over for a whole album, however many of these songs were available for Braver and Meat chose not to use them:

What Part Of My Body Hurts The Most
Not Allowed To Love
We're Still The Children We Once Were
Making Love Out Of Nothing At All
Safe Sex
Angels Arise
Vaults Of Heaven
You've Got to Love Me With The Sun In Your Eyes Until The Day That You Go Blind
Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young/Dance Of The Vampires (with some necessary tweaks to the lyrics)
A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste (the original 1985 version)
the Fire Inc version of Nowhere Fast with a new chorus could probably pass as a totally new song. Maybe combine it with some of the good bits of Stark Raving Love as they are pretty similar.

That's all just off the top of my head.

I think a bigger concern is whether Braver was profitable enough to warrant a further album? Sony haven't released a crummy compilation album in a few years, so maybe there isn't enough interest in Meat Loaf out there?
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2019, 18:18   #19
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
I was amazed he got no questions about the future. Maybe people think he is retired or something.
Why ask about his future when you have a chance to ask about what in the world "That" means and why the hell his name is Meat Loaf?!
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 20 Aug 2019, 21:51   #20
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post

I think a bigger concern is whether Braver was profitable enough to warrant a further album? Sony haven't released a crummy compilation album in a few years, so maybe there isn't enough interest in Meat Loaf out there?
This is the larger question. I would doubt that "Braver" made much profit, if any. They certainly spent nothing on promotion and allowed the album to get out online well before it was available to purchase. I think the declining revenue in general on new music has led to cheaper production values. I can't see any company spending on lavish production these days. Even mega groups like the Stones and Fleetwood Mac tour with no new material to sell lately.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 04:37   #21
anotherday
Super Loafer

He was at BAT tonight and man, he does look good. I really believe something new is coming sooner than we think and I hope I'm right.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 20:16   #22
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

I hope so too. Amazing and inspirational how he has been hurting and he never quits.
1 User Likes This Post.