mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 14 Apr 2014, 15:52   #76
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Again, we're used to hearing her sing Steinman much of the time, which does have range in spades. No I didn't hear her with Queen .. but I would have expected her to come across as powerfully as she did with Meat .. the same thing applies I think .. BIG sound, big stage etc
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:34   #77
TheDoode

Agreed
Here's a clip of Patti performing The Show Must Go On with Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRM8v5VmysU
TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:38   #78
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarethD View Post
There was also less than 30 people there, which is a shame.
Corvette's in Burlington, NC in 1989 a performer we all know and love did a show in front of a crowd that could generously be estimated at 50. He still put on the same show he would have had there been 1,000. Patti is a true pro just like he is. All performers are at some point going to play to small crowds no matter how long they have been out there.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:24   #79
christa
Super Loafer

We are going to Leicester to see Patti. I have a 7 seater car and have 3 spare seats. If anyone would like a lift I can pick up and drop off in central Nottingham.
It would be great if lots of us from the fan club came out in force to see and support her.
christa is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:24   #80
ShelbyLee
Super Loafer

There is nothing embarrassing about someone picking themselves up, dusting themselves off, and trying again. There is nothing disappointing about a woman brave enough to start a solo career creating music and touring at 50. She sounds brilliant in the videos, and those are just Youtube videos. I can imagine how great she was live.

Meat isn't playing to sold-out crowds in Vegas either, but he's still giving his all every night. That's the mark of a great entertainer.
ShelbyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:51   #81
ShelbyLee
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
Click on the link for a little taster! https://plus.google.com/115299133741...ts/AHqr8kn91tX
Thanks, Lisa, and thanks, unbekannt, for sharing your great videos.
ShelbyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:58   #82
JarethD
Junior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
Corvette's in Burlington, NC in 1989 a performer we all know and love did a show in front of a crowd that could generously be estimated at 50. He still put on the same show he would have had there been 1,000. Patti is a true pro just like he is. All performers are at some point going to play to small crowds no matter how long they have been out there.
I know/understand that, in a reverse way a duo I used to speak to went from playing small pubs to large venues then back to small pubs. I was just honestly really surprised last night at how few of us there were there last night but Patti still put on a brilliant show despite the obvious nervousness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLee View Post
There is nothing disappointing about a woman brave enough to start a solo career creating music and touring at 50. She sounds brilliant in the videos, and those are just Youtube videos. I can imagine how great she was live.
I couldn't agree more and I think she will do well within the next couple of years and build up her fanbase more. I'm glad she is doing her solo career now as it's long overdue really =). Like the Last At Bat youtube videos they really don't do much justice for the actual performances.
JarethD is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 18:02   #83
tonyloaf
Metal Head

Judge her when your there. You won't be disappointed
tonyloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
8 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 19:34   #84
Smithie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
but on a Saturday one would have hoped for better
The show was on Sunday, not Saturday.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 19:55   #85
Smithie
Super Loafer

Sadly, just like with Meat's concerts, the people who don't attend are always the first to judge.

Patti is one of the best live singers I have ever heard- amazing vocals, passion in the performance, fun banter, awesome fashion. The fans who saw the show had only positive things to say.

Some may judge success by fame and fortune, but I think anyone brave enough to follow their dreams is already successful.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:00   #86
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Whenever we've seen Patti - with Meat or otherwise - she has been outstanding and I've no doubt she will be just as brilliant when we see her this weekend, but I think by anyone's standards 30 is disappointing.
LucyK! is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:02   #87
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
Sadly, just like with Meat's concerts, the people who don't attend are always the first to judge.
I commented earlier that I wasn't surprised at the low turn-out.
However, I was in no way implying that she didn't put on a good show and would not be worth attending.
Indeed, I wish her all the best!
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:04   #88
Guy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarethD View Post
Just got back from seeing her in Birmingham. It was an amazing show, the set list was great and her vocals were fantastic. I also really hope she records the solo version of ILFY one day as that was brilliant. There was also less than 30 people there, which is a shame.

Going to try and get to see her in London aswell now.
Thats Birmingham for you. Strange folk. ; 0)
(You know what I mean)
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:08   #89
Guy
Super Loafer

Incase of any comeback.....I am a brummie and that last quote was my attempt at humour.
Q.......tumbleweed.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:10   #90
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyK! View Post
Whenever we've seen Patti - with Meat or otherwise - she has been outstanding and I've no doubt she will be just as brilliant when we see her this weekend, but I think by anyone's standards 30 is disappointing.
I saw CC performing at the Balloon Festival in 2009 (not the time she opened for Meat- that was 2011). She played for literally 5 to 10 people. There were rows of empty seats. She carried on like a pro and gave an amazing performance. She was not disappointed at all. She was awesome, and I'm sure Patti has the same indomitable spirit.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:23   #91
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

I think we all need to learn to focus more on the positive. Everyone who has seen Patti's show loves it. Everyone else needs to get to a show and see it for themselves. I really hope she does some shows in North America. I will gladly travel to New York to see her show.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:48   #92
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

I don't think anyone's questioning the quality of Patti 's show, just that the turn out was a little disappointing
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 20:59   #93
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyK! View Post
I don't think anyone's questioning the quality of Patti 's show, just that the turn out was a little disappointing
I just don't think "disappointing" is the way to describe it. When Pearl did her US solo tour, she played some small clubs with less than 30 people. Her tour wasn't disappointing and neither is Patti's. They are both building a solo career without a record company backing them or songs on the radio. I think it is admirable that they are going out on their own and doing what they love.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:06   #94
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl View Post
I think it is admirable that they are going out on their own and doing what they love.
Nobody is suggesting otherwise but 30 people is a disappointing turn out, no matter how people may choose to spin it.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:09   #95
Tina.K.
Braver than she is 🤔

Maybe she gets more folks in the next shows. I hope so, she deserves it.

She also deserves two awesome female backing vocals. Those weren't there, were they? When I hear and see the youtube video's I think that's what's missing. She used to be the brilliant backing vocals from Meat, catching all the high long notes and awesome modulations with her fantastic voice.
Now she does the lead singing, which means her vocal is most of the time lower. She does that in a great way too, but I think it would be more blasting when she had some soul ladies behind her doing the backing vocals. That what's missing IMO.

Anyway, if I lived in the UK I would go see her for sure! She's great!!!
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:15   #96
TheDoode

I think the important thing to remember here is: let's not shit ourselves over word choice.

That's usually my job. (my real job).

I don't think anyone here wishes Patti anything but success. I know I do.
TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:19   #97
Guy
Super Loafer

"The show must go on"
Sing it loud and sing it proud Patti.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:24   #98
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
Who is judging or has judged? I replied to a comment about the posted clips and said "it may be something to do with the quality of bootleg clips, and we're used to hearing her with one of the best bands in the world .. big, big sound. She still has that big voice .. I think, for me anyway, it's that the overall sound is smaller, less vibrant and in your face somehow."

I certainly wasn't judging her on the clips but commenting that they were perhaps not a good indicator. I said she still had that big voice, but that she didn't have the big backing sound we are used to. Like chairboys I am sure she put on a great show. No-one has suggested otherwise.

Quote:
I think we all need to learn to focus more on the positive. Everyone who has seen Patti's show loves it. Everyone else needs to get to a show and see it for themselves.
Again, I said I was disappointed FOR her that the turn out for her second show was so low (apologies for getting the date wrong) .. and I'd think she is likely to have been. I also said "Hopefully this will not be indicative of the rest of the shows that are planned." That's not focusing on negatives, but expressing disappointment for an artist who is respected in this community for her performances, who is striking out on her own, and who has invested a lot in this tour. I am sure all those who went loved it, and I have never done anything but wish her well.

I am not going to any of the shows, so from now on had better keep my good wishes and my empathy to myself
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:26   #99
LucyK!
The Monster Is Luce

Quote:

I just don't think "disappointing" is the way to describe it. When Pearl did her US solo tour, she played some small clubs with less than 30 people. Her tour wasn't disappointing and neither is Patti's.
Again... No-one has called Patti's tour disappointing - what's disappointing is that there weren't more people at that particular venue. It's nothing against Patti, her show or future shows, just a shame that more people didn't turn out for that particular night.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 21:47   #100
Steingirl
Super Loafer

Thanks for the great reviews and videos. She sounds terrific!
Steingirl is offline   Reply With Quote