Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 24 May 2019, 01:48   #51
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
*Looks up Avantasia on Spotify*

Wow!
I instantly liked Ghost in The Moon. Great stuff.

Something like Mystery of a Blood Red Rose & The Story Ain't Over / Prize Fighter Lover (original version) / Date With Destiny would have formed an awesome basis for a Meat album.

I love bits of Braver, the title song is superb and like Souvenirs with the sax and Meat's voice is pretty good on that, but some stuff really should have been left off that album. Just because Steinman wrote certain songs doesn't make them automatically great in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many writers who could write in the style of Steinman / CHSIB / DIST / Blind As A Bat without having to go through the Sonnenberg management bollox.
My first Avantasia album was Wicked Symphony, that opening track is so so good, just the way all the singers gell with one another is sublime.

I honestly did think Braver was a good album, i can still listen to it now and enjoy it, but I do think it is lacking in a few areas. It does feel like it needs a little bit more of an edge to it.

Going All The Way is definitely in the top 10 of Meat songs for me though.
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 10:33   #52
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

Overall, I like 'Braver'. I could do without the cringingly synthetic cartoonish background vocals, and 'Train of Love' never fit in for me - it's a cheery little pop song at the end of an increasingly dark and powerful symphony. But it certainly has strengths.
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 18:28   #53
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
*Looks up Avantasia on Spotify*

Wow!
I instantly liked Ghost in The Moon. Great stuff.

Something like Mystery of a Blood Red Rose & The Story Ain't Over / Prize Fighter Lover (original version) / Date With Destiny would have formed an awesome basis for a Meat album.

I love bits of Braver, the title song is superb and like Souvenirs with the sax and Meat's voice is pretty good on that, but some stuff really should have been left off that album. Just because Steinman wrote certain songs doesn't make them automatically great in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many writers who could write in the style of Steinman / CHSIB / DIST / Blind As A Bat without having to go through the Sonnenberg management bollox.
You could also add in "As If Tomorrow Will Never Come" by Katrina and the Nameless (Used to be "the Waves") it sounds a bit too much like a Jim clone wannabe with a definite "Dead Ringer" vibe. I actually made a list once for songs Meat could do that weren't Jim's. Avantasia still comes very close and has strong quality in their work, not quite a match for Jim lyrically but they have some really good songs, especially those 3.

Nice to see another Blue Tears fan.

I assume if Meat does another album he would want it to be Jim songs based on what he said on that Youtube video. If it is true Jim ain't happening
there probably won't be another album.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 21:29   #54
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
If it is true Jim ain't happening
there probably won't be another album.
Put it this way: songs are an option, Jim not so much.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2019, 21:54   #55
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
I'm not so sure it would be that different from "Braver" would it? All we have heard is that Jim played some part. I have felt it must have been somewhat minimal, they usually said things to the effect of "involved" and he let them put his name on it and his likeness on the cover (although most people probably had no idea that was Jim except us obsessives).

Meat seemed to have the idea in mind to do another. That is why I kind of brought up Tobias' work. It is quality stuff and he gets what Jim does.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 May 2019, 23:49   #56
Tina.K.
Braver than she is 🤔

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Maybe Jim is not able to be involved that much? Didn’t he have a stroke a few years ago or something else about his health?
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 10:57   #57
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Can't comment on health but you're in the ballpark Tina.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 May 2019, 20:45   #58
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina.K. View Post
Maybe Jim is not able to be involved that much? Didn’t he have a stroke a few years ago or something else about his health?
He had health problems before "Braver" may have had more issues since. But again I seriously doubt his involvement in "Braver" was all that much. He didn't really do much publicly when his dream of the "Bat" musical was realized.

Neither Meat nor Jim is in great health so it would be something they need to move upon if they really want to get it done. I think it is doubtful. In my dream at least Jim gives his okay for songs and Meat produces with Tobias if at all possible, or maybe Paul again.
Old 28 May 2019, 02:32   #59
Dick
Super Loafer

would love to hear the vocal sound they managed to get on hctb or chsib

loud and crisp and clear. Cavallo got some spectacular vocals from him, and peter mokran on chsib also got great ones. As far as i remember he did the vocals for the melbourne show which sound outstanding
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.