mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Closed Thread

Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:20   #101
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what Jim was doing was trying to write a Bat sequel or copy with BFG.
BFG -> copy/sequel to Bat
Pants -> copy/sequel to Paradise
Left in The Dark -> copy/sequel to 2 out of Three / For Crying Out Loud
Lost Boys & Golden Girls -> copy/sequel to Heaven Can Wait
Stark Raving Love and/or Frying Pan could perhaps even be considered a sequel to All Revved Up.
He probaly was because it's what everyone wanted, and it's probaly what he wanted to. But I don't think BFG is anything like BOOH if anything it's more like Bruce Springsteen's "Born to Run". Left in the Dark isn't really like Two Out of Three, it's a very very dark track, almost a suicidal one. Lost Boys and Heaven are similar alright.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:23   #102
AndyK
Relentless

Quote:
That is a great live version imo. Thanks for posting. Must have been great but weird at the same time hearing Meat doing a pretty much completely unknown song.
The buzz of excitement was still there when I heard that Meat was performing Bad For Good and Dance In My Pants. Back in those days before the internet we had to rely on getting a phone call the day after a show from someone who had attended to get a set list update, or as a worst case a letter a few days later.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:24   #103
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6 View Post
Left in the Dark isn't really like Two Out of Three, it's a very very dark track, almost a suicidal one.
Someone needing you and wanting you but not loving you wouldn't drive a person to suicide would it?

Meat recently commented how funny he thought it was that 2 out of 3 was played at people's weddings. Indeed it's crazy really.

Last edited by AndrewG; 13 Sep 2010 at 15:31.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:40   #104
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Whats more of a straight up fraud of 2 outta three is "why isnt that enough?"

Left in the dark is a betrayal song. a song you play when you feel betrayed or lonely. Its actually a very suicidal track, like Steve said.

I thought the only "clones" on BFG were DIMP (paradise wannabe) and Stark Raving Love (which is in the realm of Took the Words)

i see no similarities between BFG and Bat.

Old 13 Sep 2010, 15:47   #105
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
Left in the dark is a betrayal song. a song you play when you feel betrayed or lonely. Its actually a very suicidal track, like Steve said.
Someone being needed and wanted (perhaps "used") but not loved can also be considered as a form of betrayal in my opinion. The ideas are very similar but the songs entirely different. I still maintain Jim tried to stick closely to the same themes on that record as he knew those things worked going by Bat but then they forgot about the main ingredient as they got big headed.

Left in The Dark could almost be considered as the other person's point of you if you first listen to 2 out of 3. It could have been a woman who had someone she did love, who kicked the guy out, who is now left in the dark, feels cheated on and is now driven to suicide. Who knows, maybe the guy's name was Patrick.

Last edited by AndrewG; 13 Sep 2010 at 15:55.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 00:02   #106
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatGrl1 View Post
No I am not !!
Please don't make me out to be a total idiot, I don't appreciate it !!
I have an audio of the live thing but now I wish I had kept my mouth shut !!
I know some of the greatest Steinman song collectors around and they've never heard of such a thing. No one's calling you a total idiot, but maybe you're mistaken with the date?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 04:03   #107
samurai7
Rock Star

Quote:
In my opinion not until Total Eclipse did we get something COMPLETELY new from Steinman.
Yet that itself wasn't COMPLETELY new, as it pre-dated BFG by a year; an infant version of the tune appeared on the soundtrack to the film 'A Small Circle of Friends' in 1980, along with early (instrumental) versions of 'Making Love...' and 'Loving You's a Dirty Job'.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 04:08   #108
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatGrl1 View Post
No I am not !!
Please don't make me out to be a total idiot, I don't appreciate it !!
I have an audio of the live thing but now I wish I had kept my mouth shut !!

I hope you have the will power to post it on youtube for everyone to hear and love
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:15   #109
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Left in The Dark could almost be considered as the other person's point of you if you first listen to 2 out of 3. It could have been a woman who had someone she did love, who kicked the guy out, who is now left in the dark, feels cheated on and is now driven to suicide. Who knows, maybe the guy's name was Patrick.

She didn't kick him out- he's sneaking in the door- he's guilty. She (he) HAS been betrayed...she's angry and hurting... she wants to know everything, but she doesn't really want to know...at least not now, because right now she just wants to feel loved, so she'll put that aside...she'd rather be oblivious...left in the dark. Not suicidal, necessarily; she wants to feel... something.

It's all right there.

And I've always thought that "I bet you've still got a trace of his love in your eyes and you've still got his eyes on your mind" is one of the best lines ever written.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:18   #110
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
She didn't kick him out- he's sneaking in the door- he's guilty. She (he) HAS been betrayed...she's angry and hurting... she wants to know everything, but she doesn't really want to know...at least not now, because right now she just wants to feel loved, so she'll put that aside...she'd rather be oblivious...left in the dark. Not suicidal, necessarily; she wants to feel... something.

It's all right there.

And I've always thought that "I bet you've still got a trace of his love in your eyes and you've still got his eyes on your mind" is one of the best lines ever written.
I love how you say "she" instead of "they" when the two versions i heard men sing it lol
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:54   #111
Pudding

Quote:
I love how you say "she" instead of "they" when the two versions i heard men sing it lol
Try this for size then

YouTube Video

And there's also a Swedish version by Cecilia Vennersten called Lämnad i mörkret.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 06:00   #112
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
Try this for size then
okay thats three versions by men now that ive heard

Old 14 Sep 2010, 06:06   #113
Pudding

Quote:

LMFAO
Old 14 Sep 2010, 06:18   #114
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
I was responding to Andrew's post- he used "she". And, I have heard Babs' version before; don't care for it that much. I do like the video, though- the Kris Kristofferson cameo is cool.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 11:02   #115
GDW
Super Loafer

Quote:

Looks a lot like Barry Manilow to me. With a bit longer hair.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 16:05   #116
Jayd
If I could bust into hell....... I would

That Streisand version is awful, like Manilow's Read em and Weep, weep I wanted to do after listening to his version.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 16:22   #117
A Slice Of English

Quite a few people actually like the Manilow version. Think it was on his Greatest Hits album or something. I would love for some re-recorded versions of those 80's tracks to be done in the future. I would love a new Meat version of Read 'Em And Weep.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 16:30   #118
daveake
200% is the new 110%

I actually own the picture disc version of this ...

Can't play it of course ... the nose snags on the base of the pick-up arm
Old 14 Sep 2010, 16:39   #119
AndyK
Relentless

Dave you've gone down in my estimation, there are some discs that need to remain out of even the most ardent collectors collection!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 16:43   #120
daveake
200% is the new 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Dave you've gone down in my estimation, there are some discs that need to remain out of even the most ardent collectors collection!
So, you've got one too?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 16:45   #121
AndyK
Relentless

Nope. I bit the bullet and bought a 7" copy of Streisand's Left In The Dark (13p from ebay if I remember rightly!). But Barry's Read 'Em And Weep travesty will not cross the boundaries of any property I own!
Old 14 Sep 2010, 18:20   #122
GDW
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Nope. I bit the bullet and bought a 7" copy of Streisand's Left In The Dark (13p from ebay if I remember rightly!). But Barry's Read 'Em And Weep travesty will not cross the boundaries of any property I own!
So you rent then.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 18:24   #123
GDW
Super Loafer

By the way. Who's do you think is bigger?
Old 14 Sep 2010, 18:36   #124
Steve6
Batman

Barry's version of "Read'em and Weep"" is pretty damn good, but I'd much prefer Meat's version. To many instruments making an annoying racket in Barry's version, and it takes away from the lyrics and vocals. Never liked Barbara Streisand's version of LEFT IN THE DARK. That song should only be sung by a man. I'm not being sexist, but it should.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 20:57   #125
Wario

well IFWQ was sung by a woman originally. Same with good Girls, future, and IACBTMN.

and i think left in the dark can be sung by a woman if, lets say, Miley Cyrus took a stab at it.

As for barry, i hate him for RAW. hes the reason Meat refuses to play it live....

Closed Thread