mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 06 Oct 2012, 12:12   #1
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Default Justin Avery

I'll save my review of the new DVD for when I have more time, but there's one thing I feel the urge to comment on. Justin Avery is a fantastic addition to the band. Mark Alexander was a great keyboardist, but Justin brings something to the table that has been lacking for several years. It's just a shame that Meat didn't discover him years ago.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2012, 13:46   #2
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

When does his cd come out?
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2012, 16:48   #3
olblueeyes
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
I'll save my review of the new DVD for when I have more time, but there's one thing I feel the urge to comment on. Justin Avery is a fantastic addition to the band. Mark Alexander was a great keyboardist, but Justin brings something to the table that has been lacking for several years. It's just a shame that Meat didn't discover him years ago.
100% agree with that - Mark was great but Justin is in a class of his own. His fingers dance around on that keyboard like he was born on a piano stool. I love what he has done with Rock n Roll Dreams - the piano solo is a great addition, and what's more, his solo is different every time. I get what Meat means when he says JA doesn't think, he just plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
olblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 17:21   #4
melon
Long Distance Loafer

Damn straight!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2012, 18:14   #5
robgomm
Mega Loafer

Best pianist Meat has ever had. I absolutely love the part in the show when Meat says if Jim was there he'd be standing up screaming! And he would! He would have loved what Justin and the rest did.
robgomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2012, 19:33   #6
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgomm View Post
Best pianist Meat has ever had.
Second best. Nobody played Steinman songs like Steinman.
Old 06 Oct 2012, 19:38   #7
BostonAngel
Super Loafer

I am a huge fan of Mark Alexander's work. I adore him; he is a fun guy to be around as well as a great musician. I will agree that Justin is a wonderful, talented, and well needed addition to the band. I think he has more personality as a performer than Mark did. Justin is so much fun to watch. I remember the first time I saw Justin perform with Meat in 2010 though; he was almost like a scared timid child. He had just joined the band and was still learning the ropes. He has grown tremendously as a peformer. I love the moments when he gets to take center stage with Meat - he truly shines.
BostonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 07 Oct 2012, 18:32   #8
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Mark is a great player, but Justin is insanely talented.
He brings a hell of a lot to the band.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 07 Oct 2012, 18:38   #9
Sebastian.
Biggles

I love Justin's playing, I wish I could piano like him. Then again, I wish I could play the piano...

I woul dlove to hear Justin's rendition of Objects!
Sebastian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2012, 15:10   #10
Mr. Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Second best. Nobody played Steinman songs like Steinman.
I'm sure this is going to get me a hell of a lot of hate, but I'd actually have to disagree on this. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Steinman, considering he's composed some of the most amazing songs in all of history...but his playing has never really reached out and captivated me. Heaven Can Wait and Objects from LATW come to mind, and that's because there were actually a few painfully wrong notes in there. That's not to say he's not a decent piano player (like I could do any better ), but he never actually struck me as an amazing piano performer like Justin does.

I dunno, maybe it's just me

Last edited by Mr. Happy; 08 Oct 2012 at 15:21.
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 08 Oct 2012, 17:43   #11
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
I'm sure this is going to get me a hell of a lot of hate, but I'd actually have to disagree on this. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Steinman, considering he's composed some of the most amazing songs in all of history...but his playing has never really reached out and captivated me. Heaven Can Wait and Objects from LATW come to mind, and that's because there were actually a few painfully wrong notes in there. That's not to say he's not a decent piano player (like I could do any better ), but he never actually struck me as an amazing piano performer like Justin does.

I agree with Happy.

I think Steinman at his heights was probably on the piano level I am at now, thereabouts I think. I was never classically trained so no clue what grade that is. Avery is however in the stratosphere with notes at times. A bit like Steven Margoshes sounds on Pray Lewd or Roy Bittan from E Street. Very difficult to play like that and probably requires a bit more dedication / classically training. Better than Mark Alexander too.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2012, 17:58   #12
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:

Not just you. No disrespect toward Jim or Mark Alexander for that matter. I always found Jim to be great in his own way, but not in a great classical pianist way. Bittan, Margoshes, and even Avery are in a class unto themselves. Yet without Jim they would not have the songs.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2012, 01:31   #13
Paul Richardson
Super Loafer

Quote:
I mean absolutely no disrespect to Steinman, considering he's composed some of the most amazing songs in all of history...but his playing has never really reached out and captivated me.
I like this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmxQ9...feature=relmfu

'The piano is too retarded and slow' - lol - Jim is a brilliant pianist but his songs are too difficult !
Paul Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2012, 02:34   #14
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:

I agree that Jim's playing seems a bit sloppy to me sometimes. But, having said that, at other times, there's no one I'd rather hear play those songs. There's something to be said for expressing emotion as opposed to technical perfection.

I do think Justin is fantastic, though. If there's one player he reminds me of, it's Bruce Hornsby.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Oct 2012, 17:11   #15
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

I think Tom Brislin is underrated. He remains my personal favorite on piano. Every piano player has been extremely talented though.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 15:58   #16
Benny
Massive Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl View Post
I think Tom Brislin is underrated. He remains my personal favorite on piano. Every piano player has been extremely talented though.
Tom is awesome, agree there.
Justin is brilliant, and works so well in the NLE.
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2012, 16:05   #17
Evil One
Mega Loafer

I think Tom Brislin is definitely underated. But that could be because his stint in the NLE was quite short.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Oct 2012, 20:22   #18
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Justin is the best piano player on the planet. bar none. there are no exceptions. Billy, Elton and Jimmy come close tho
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2012, 21:46   #19
Benny
Massive Loafer

Roy Bittan is the best :)
Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2012, 17:26   #20
Smithie
Super Loafer

I agree about Roy Bittan being the best I've seen live.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2012, 06:10   #21
anotherday
Super Loafer

I saw Elton live a few months ago and he was AMAZING. Having not seen Justin...yet I can't comment but I will report to you Friday night if I'm not too frazzled!
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.