Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 07 Aug 2020, 00:37   #1
M.Bison
The Lurker in The Shadows

Default Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

https://collider.com/disney-hunchbac...kin-meat-loaf/

Came upon this very interesting article.

An interview with the directors of the 1996 Disney Hunchback film. They discuss how Meat was in the running for the role of Quasimodo, how he'd read for it and rehearsed Out There for them (the big 'I Want' song piece of that film).

A long time ago, I'd seen an old Entertainment Tonight article that had attached his name to the part as well but I always assumed it was a rumour.
M.Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 07 Aug 2020, 10:18   #2
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

That would have been awesome and probably lead on to even more high profile roles. Haven't watched the film yet although will do soon but I can imagine Meat would have smashed it.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2020, 10:55   #3
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

There was a point where WTTN may well (and should have, IMO), been a Notre Dame related concept album. The demos are incredible. I'm still hoping that this project will see the light of day in the not too distant future.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 07 Aug 2020, 11:51   #4
M.Bison
The Lurker in The Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
That would have been awesome and probably lead on to even more high profile roles. Haven't watched the film yet although will do soon but I can imagine Meat would have smashed it.
He definitely would have. Kirk and Trousdale (the directors) said in the same interview they loved his run-throughs of the song.

Here's a link to the song itself, the section starting at 1:30. I always thought Tom Hulce had a very Meat-esque delivery on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdIP2xmDqx0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
There was a point where WTTN may well (and should have, IMO), been a Notre Dame related concept album. The demos are incredible. I'm still hoping that this project will see the light of day in the not too distant future.
Wow! Very interesting. Was it by design as a tie-in to Meat being in talks for the Disney film or something separate?
M.Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2020, 12:19   #5
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I believe it was something separate, as the concept wasn't developed by Meat (hence why it didn't end up being used in the end), but I could be wrong about that.
Old 07 Aug 2020, 14:55   #6
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Intriguing indeed! Sounds like maybe you have a little behind the scenes knowledge on it??
Old 07 Aug 2020, 14:56   #7
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Bison View Post
He definitely would have. Kirk and Trousdale (the directors) said in the same interview they loved his run-throughs of the song.

Here's a link to the song itself, the section starting at 1:30. I always thought Tom Hulce had a very Meat-esque delivery on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdIP2xmDqx0

I wonder if Disney still has the demo tapes.........

Wow! Very interesting. Was it by design as a tie-in to Meat being in talks for the Disney film or something separate?
Hmm wonder if Disney still have the demos......

Just listened to the song. Reminded me a little bit of when Boyzone did No Matter What. Perfectly pleasant in so far as it goes, but Meat's version is far superior as it adds pathos, drama, emotion etc. And Meat, of course 😉

Last edited by PanicLord; 07 Aug 2020 at 15:06.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 08 Aug 2020, 11:58   #8
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Extensive - but since it may get a release at some point, in some form, I probably shouldn't spill the beans at this stage.
Old 08 Aug 2020, 18:07   #9
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

According to my research (read: Googling), the creator of the concept has actually talked about it in some detail over the years, though he's never mentioned Meat's involvement. I think he's still looking to get to it some day.

Also, I love how strong the fandom is, but I think it's a bit rich to say Meat's version of a song you've never heard him sing would be better as though you have. Just my opinion.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 08 Aug 2020, 20:14   #10
Tina.K.
Braver than she is 🤔

Quote:
How about throwing a ball to the man himself about this.
Tina.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 08 Aug 2020, 21:18   #11
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Just the news that it may get a release soon is good enough for me ThatWriterGuy :)
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Aug 2020, 04:45   #12
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Just the news that it may get a release soon is good enough for me ThatWriterGuy :)
Soon??
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2020, 11:00   #13
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

To clarify: it won't be a Meat Loaf project, and it won't be happening - to the best of my knowledge, at least - 'soon'. But it's too good to stay in the can. Way too good.