View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2017, 02:53   #676
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

The "story" is certainly one of the main reasons I haven't seen it. I didn't like the story in Whistle Down the Wind either (I know it's from an old movie). The dancing is insane from what I've seen. I can't think of a musical I really like that has excess dancing during key songs. In fact most musicals I really like probably only have about 1-3 songs with dancing and usually that is for a good reason. Masquerade from Pantom / Les Mis Wedding / Wicked ball intro / Red light area scenes from Miss Saigon. / Buenos Aires & party scenes from Evita Etc...

I did like Fame but then the dancing again makes sense. It's not on my favourite list.

This musical is perhaps more targeted towards the Queen We Will Rock You / Mama Mia type of rock/pop dance audience who like Bat too. Or perhaps I'm just old fashioned. There certainly has been a tendency in the last 10-15 years on TV and on stage to show tonnes of people in group formation dancing. Michael Jackson probably started a lot of that stuff but then he was Michael Jackson...

Dancing in group formation to Bat out of Hell on a stage musical? Well, I never expected that at all. Nor did I want that. I'm guessing as musical creators they think more is better, more people on stage doing stuff giving off energy. I just have to think back to the first time I watched Les Mis where in Act II most songs have just one or at most 3 characters on stage. It felt like every song was the finale. I was amazed at the performances, I was stunned by the songs. When someone says they will do a Bat musical, it is that what I expect I guess. Sure the last 2 minutes the whole gang joins in in Les Mis but perhaps that could have been done exactly with Bat at the very end. Reprise: everyone has those feelings/sentiment. It just makes more sense to me an approach like that and the focus on the song/character is not lost with bizarre choreographed distractions.

I'm not saying the musical should have been inspired by Meat, the writer and musical staff can do as they wish and I'm truly glad people are enjoying it tremendously but it's obvious the dancing malarky comes heavily from Steinman's sort of quite bizarre (in my mind) 80s videos rather than Meat Loaf's career. Watching Jim playback to Rock n Roll dreams whilst some athlete is dancing with a guitar is embarrassing to watch now.
Jim's music is amazing, I will always love it. I just visualise something totally different than he does when I listen to it I think. Meat's interpretation comes closest to that. Michael Bay got things quite right too to be fair. No dancing in the Bat 2 videos thank goodness.

I wonder if Steinman envisaged the Batman musical to also include dancing, I'm guessing so.

Last edited by AndrewG; 22 Jun 2017 at 03:28.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.05569 seconds with 14 queries.