View Single Post
Old 27 May 2017, 00:45   #6618
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Alien Covenant (2017)

Not sure what Ridley Scott was thinking. But this wasn't really good and looks more like a sequel to Prometheus.

5/10
Bunch of dumb ass script writers killed Ripley off in 3 and really wrote themselves into a corner I always think.
Having said that James Cameron has done the same with Sigourney Weaver and she will still appear in the 1 million Avatar sequels.

Btw Alien 1 & Aliens (2) really proved I think Hollywood was never really that sexist and why we didn't need dumb ass female Ghostbusters. Why people perceived Ghostbusters about nerdy scientist guys wanting to go into business for themselves as the pinnacle of misogynist movies I will never understand. That was never an action movie. The girl licking her gun (gun??!) in the trailer for the female version really proves Paul Feig never understood or liked the original Ghostbusters. Alien & Aliens saw a woman take on pretty much the most dangerous and scariest thing ever encountered by humans pretty much.

Other than The Martian Ridley Scott seems similar to George Lucas, totally not getting why their original stuff was so good. It seems many movie critics understand these guys better than themselves, certainly their work. I like how they talk themselves out of. They really are kidding themselves on. Especially Lucas claiming he knows what audiences would like but stylistically he wanted to do another thing. Right. That's why he destroyed the myth of Jedi "training" which I'm pretty sure everyone took as something magical that anyone could learn as to be a physical academy on a planet along with the terrible midiclorians idea in the prequels??! Because of "Style". Right George, whatever. Obviously the restrictedness he had making the original Star Wars movies actually made the original movies good and certainly not "unfinished". Ridley Scott is probably having the same issue with Alien. The original was very cleverly done and looked so real and scary. Now he can get computers to do all his work and the magic is thus gone.

I think it is too late to save the Alien franchise with the amount of mess or at least "meh" movies that has been put out. Terminator is another franchise that seems dead, but rumours of a James Cameron produced spin off recently are going around. Imagine the anticipation if 3 was now on its way and we didn't have all those meh sequels after Judgement Day. Holy cow, that would have been THE part 3 to go and see after all these years.
Glad Star Wars was saved and Back to The Future was left as is.
Ghostbusters is totally ruined. Not sure what Bill Murray's problem was. He never wanted to do 3 but then he has no problem appearing in a terrible spin off version that destroys the mythology of the original stuff with his buddies. And the movie I really think pisses all over Harold Ramis' grave.

The eighties were awesome for movies it seems. So many good and fresh ideas that became franchises came from that time or just before it (Alien & A New Hope), even Superman and Rocky I would put into this category really. Now they are really struggling making those franchises work (except for Star Wars, Rocky I would argue and the Nolan Batman movies).

Will they mess up Indiana Jones 5 too?

</random late night movie thoughts>

Last edited by AndrewG; 27 May 2017 at 01:04.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03339 seconds with 14 queries.