View Single Post
Old 04 Jun 2010, 16:47   #29
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy<meat-loaf>rocky View Post
this companey i got the disk from are regestard collectors
Only goes to prove that only too often, that means nothing at all.

There is nothing official about that disc, and it should only be treated as something that gives personal pleasure.

The reason these are on the market is because of supply and demand.

The actual gold disc awarded to an artist is a one off that will usually be kept be the artist.

Very expensive.

There might be other copies done by the record company that are nearly as desirable, but again, there are only so many to go around.

Expensive.

Then, the artist's management might release a limited edition gold disc (I have the one released by Neverland).

It'll set you back a fair few quid, but you'll still own your very own shirt.

Then at the lower end of the spectrum you have this kind of collectable.
I would term these as (what's know in areas on the military antique trade) a fantasy piece.
Whereas the "fake" is a copy of something that is known to exists, the fantasy piece is something designed to be pleasing on the eye to the collector, but is a design of the makers invention.

That many on these "limited editions" come with a "certificate of authenticity" is hardly helpful to the buyer, and I for one think the manufacture of these things should be regulated much more tightly (that's to say, they should be regulated at all).
It's this certificate which makes the buyer think they are buying something valuable, when in reality it's something that has been run off a printer aimed at making the item more legitamate and desirable.

There is no shortage of them on ebay.I've seen them both is this gold disc type, and framed CD's with artwork.

If looking at the financial investment aspect of a piece (something which I never do) always remember quality over quantity, and whereas an original and unusual piece will slowly grow in value (note the word "slowly" there) a fake or fantasy piece (aka a ~~~~ up job) will plumet in value as soon as you hand your cash over.
It's just a second hand fake.

But the most important thing is buy what you like and like what you buy.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02450 seconds with 14 queries.