View Single Post
Old 22 May 2012, 12:19   #2
CarylB
Mega Loafer

I loved Stand in the Storm when it was first released as a single. The way the different musical styles are blended together is outstanding, and the message in the lyrics, which then reflected the experience of Team Backbone, have a perfect fit with what HIAH is about. I love the concept of determination, standing up and fighting for what you think is right, and doing it with others in collaboration. Lil John's rap is integrated beautifully.

I cannot agree that rap isn't music. It comes from a different culture, and generally does not appeal to my taste, so much of it seeming so angry and defiant without any hope or beauty that I can see .. but that probably speaks of my background and culture, very different to that which gave birth to rap, and my ignorance of the genre and my limitations. In SITS again I find a rap that doesn't seem deviod of music, and isn't simply angry and without hope.

The track production provides a great musical ground to a strong message that we can be determined in standing up and fighting for what we believe in without be distracted by whatever crap is going down aaround us. The insistent rhythms in rap do convey anger and defiance, and imo HIAH needs some of this, and Meat has a sure sense of where it fits and enriches the album. I like the newer version even more .. the lift in key brings Meat's voice through even better than on the original. Great music, great lyrics, impeccable production and strong vocals from Meat .. so because I enjoy every part of it, would never skip it, and it opened the door and gave me an insight into a musical genre I had always dismissed from a position of ignorance ..

CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.02593 seconds with 14 queries.