View Single Post
Old 11 May 2013, 20:00   #39
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
I have never found Bat as a "spoof" of Springsteen. Bat is 10 times better than any Springsten album but Todd grew on me. He was talking about he had done Bat for money. I'm not naiv to believe musicans do music for only their hobby. Bat2 was for money, HCTB was for money and all concert are for money and not for being good. If you are realistic, Todd is right!
Todd was speaking for himself with regard to producing BOOH. That's fine, and right for him. But I think it's a sweeping statement to assert "Bat2 was for money, HCTB was for money and all concert are for money and not for being good." That may be your view .. but personally I don't think for eg Meat recorded HCTB purely for the money. Obviously you need to have an album likely to be financially viable, but in my opinion Meat is driven more by his artistic desire to create than by the money. He has said this, has said he certainly doesn't tour now to make money .. and personally, I believe him.

When Meat and Jim made BOOH, they simply wanted to sell 100K .. for the money? No. It was because back then if you sold 100K you would be able to make another record. They were more driven by creativity, passion, belief, than by making money. HCTB was Meat's opportunity to make the record he had in his head, the music he had in his head. He wanted to record it because he believed in it, believed it was good. For me, and many others, it was!

Bat2 was doubtless wanted by the record company to make money. For Meat and Jim? I think it would have been more about the project, the work. To make an impact, to deliver something special, something that would create passion in those who bought it.

Yes, all artists make their living through their work .. but imo for many the money, whilst necessary to live and feed their families, is often secondary to their creative desire and drive. So is it with both Meat and Jimmy I think .. were they mainly motivated by money they could have churned out album after album .. and had that been the case I think we wouldn't have got the exceptional albums we did.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.02995 seconds with 14 queries.