View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2020, 16:11   #6887
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
There is definately a lot wrong with The Rise of Skywalker, but it's predecessor made it almost impossible to focus on a decent ending. And still JJ Abrahms managed to do that.
Rian Johnson's ego was bigger than his love for the SW franchise, wich resulted in a movie without explanations and a lot of forgettable characters that, all of a sudden, seemed of importance to the story. He neglected the built up to Rey's history, he got rid of Snoke as if it was a nobody too, he focussed more on an (unlikely) romance between Kylo and Rey. And it almost felt as if he had no interest in Luke. And that Luke was only in the movie because Rian was contractual obligated to tell Luke's story. So he decided to see if he could destroy that part of the Skywalker Legacy.

At least Rise of Skywalker fixed about 70% of what Last Jedi tried to destroy. But it had it's consequenses. And it hurt the story of the third installment of the new Trilogy. What JJ did though, and had done before with TFA -again although flawed- was giving the old generation of the Original Trilogy that Star Wars nostalgic feeling back. If you line up the three movies it's obvious that Last Jedi is the one that doesn't fit in and doesn't share the same emotion and feeling of the other movies. In fact, TFA and TROS have a close connection to the Original Trilogy, where TLJ feels more like the Prequel movies.

Perhaps the younger generation of fans sees it the oposite, but for me JJ saved as much of Star Wars as possible. And I, as an Original Trilogy fan, can only imagine how great this trilogy would have been if Rian Johnson had not been a part of it.
There is huge outrage even on Rise on Youtube. I think Last Jedi opened Pandora's Box with that. I'm not sure if it is because of the ages of the loudest YouTubers but they all seem to be between 25-35. Younger than me and perhaps they grew up with the prequels first. Not sure. I was lucky I think to have seen Star Wars in the 90s as a teenager before the Special Editions and before the prequels. People younger than the 25-35 year olds don't seem to care too much about Star Wars. I've seen plenty of 40 and over year olds enjoy Rise so what you said makes a lot of sense. A JJ episode 8 part would probably have made this all even better but I appreciate he listened to the fans after 8 and did his best. For me it is easily JJ's best stuff and I disagree with the notion he can't do original stuff. BB-8 is easily the most interesting droid after C3PO and R2. And Rey's opening without any lines (show / don't tell) in TFA was perfect. JJ is easily a better Star Wars director than George Lucas himself I think. At least more in touch with how to do things at this time rather than relying on technology which destroys realism too much.

I really liked Kevin Smith's take on the Rise of Skywalker.
Some notable moments he points out and I agree with, mixed with my favourite parts. Positive stuff only:
*Spoilers*
  • "I have been every voice, you have ever heard, inside of your heard" I wanted more of the Palpatine - Kylo Ren. This all seemed very atmospheric. For me if we had only seen that as a teaser-trailer I would have been sold and not so worried about this film. I didn't think the Rey jumping over the Tie Fighter was a good way to sell this film at all.
  • Loud sounds during the Palpatine - Kylo Ren stuff. "What could you possibly give me?" Pure silence.... "Everything". Loved that.
  • C3PO "If I don't come back R2 I want you to know you were a good friend, my best one in fact" Perfect.
  • General Pride. Richard E. Grant is superb. Loved every moment with him. And I liked how he said to the Emperor "As I served you in the old wars, I serve you now." It explained how things moved on even after Ben's redemption.
  • The chewie death scene. Finn screaming in disbelief. John Boyega was pretty damn good in this. If only episode 8 had played out better maybe he would be yielding a saber. He was excellent.
  • Rey not understanding the lightning coming out of her hand. It sort of explains why she is so powerful and foreboding the revelation of her grandfather.
  • The Death Star remains scenes with the waves. Very atmospheric. People complain we saw the Death Star evaporate. I'm not sure how something of that size could evaporate! I liked how we saw these remains, standing on what was left from the old war (like seeing the crashed star destroyer on Jakku) and apparently that was even going to be in George Lucas' own trilogy treatments as there were artwork visuals with diving to the wreck from 2013 or so.
  • Leia's last breath calling her son and that sparked Ben to stop and not destroy Rey
  • People complain Rey is a Mary Sue but Kylo was easily taking Rey out here as this was really the first time they battled face to face with Kylo Ren being at full strength. I loved that Rey constantly had to retreat and looked exhausted but Kylo Ren was still coming at her.
  • Leia only with R2D2 at the end of her life, that's how Star Wars started. At first I was somewhat sad R2D2 wasn't on the adventure more but considering we got this moment it actually is right I think.
  • The Han - Ben/Kylo Ren moment. Perfectly done. I didn't expect Harrison Ford to come back, even for a minute. It was the biggest surprise for me. So good. Replayed the Force Awakens scene but ended differently. Good character development for me after everything we've seen. "Dad..." -"I know". Perfect.
  • General Pride "Use ion canons". The start of the final battle we see a turret turn and fire. The weight appearance of the machinery, the sound etc seem so perfect in that moment. It seems very realistic to me.
  • The Sith Arena. Very atmospheric. Scary figures waiting on the ceremony marking the return/conquest of the dark side. Very eerie I thought. Loved it.
  • Poe saying sorry to his friends and that he thought they stood a chance.
  • The radio chatter during that moment. It makes it seem very realistic and has that real A New Hope war battle vibe to it.
  • Lando showing up with the cavalry. It tears me up each time. It's just astonishing. And the music is really, really great here.
  • The Emperor restored to life "Look what you have created". And starting his lightning strike at the rebel army. Boom! Such loud intensity from the sound. The sound mixing was perfect throughout but there were moments that were just stellar including this one.
  • Rey drained from life energy looking beyond the lightning strikes into the stars and getting all the Jedi power through the voices etc. Really good scene and we hear Rey's theme here. Luke has the final line "Rey, The Force Will be With You, Always." The only possible way that could and should have gone.
  • "I am all the Sith" - "And I am all the Jedi." Love it.
  • Seeing Luke's homestead at the end (nice to see the Jawas too). Leia's home on Alderaan was destroyed so it seems best to end it there indeed with the twin suns (George Lucas' creation) and Rey and BB-8, pretty much the best of JJ's creations.
  • Rey's yellow lightsaber when engages, you can see a blue and green flicker on the hilt; the colours of Luke and Leia's sabers.
  • The more I think about Rey taking the name, the more I think it is right.
  • People complain that through Rey, Palpatine in effect won. I think that's nonsense. I've heard this movie speaks to a lot of people who have had problems with their own family. (Luke: "Some things are stronger than blood"). I can't think of what is a bigger slap to the emperor's face than his own heir rejecting his name and everything what he stood for. I think it was the right move how this played out.

I wanted this movie to be over 3 hours to be honest. But in the end I think it is best to long for more rather than getting too much. For me Endgame was far too much of the same and had nothing to offer me after Infinity War, as was getting a Toy Story 4. Completely unnecessary. Sometimes you should just get what you need and no more. I got what I needed with episode 9 for sure.

Just thought I'd share this.

Last edited by AndrewG; 15 Jan 2020 at 16:36.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.

Page generated in 0.03532 seconds with 14 queries.