View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2023, 12:06   #688
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancineCyclesTheUS View Post
Bat Out Of Hell The Musical in Düsseldorf 12/28/22.
Wasn't as good as it used to be.. Unfortunately.
We gave our other tickets away. And that was a huge step for us. :/
I missed it over the summer in the UK for various of reasons but it doesn't really seem like I missed much.

It never really looked good to me to be honest. It seemed very much like what We Will Rock You was like, one of the last shows I've seen (last year). I enjoyed that to a certain extent but the story had so many missed opportunities and stupid unlike Queen / rock things, it seemed too much like a panto and didn't get to the heart that we can hear in Queen's music in my opinion. It could have been so much better with a better, simpler message.The electric guitar reveal at the end and Scaramouche being able to play it made no sense. A simple: guitar is found and falls to dust but the characters realise rock is in your heart message and you don't necessarily need to play it yourself to enjoy would have fixed that. It seemed so obvious to me. The disconnect between the fantasy -metaphor story line, the timeless music and the audience just really sucked and to me it seemed from everything I saw from the Bat musical, that would be exactly the same.

I know people use the term "jukebox" musical to sort of defend why a musical doesn't have a decent story or connection. To me it's just an excuse not to go the extra mile to provide something that will be memorable and heartfelt, just like the music always was. Something like Back To The Future the musical has it for sure! A much, much better musical book writer with a better imagination at the helm, clearly. I'd rate BTTF the musical a 9 and We Will Rock You, based on the performance I saw, a 4 or 5 at best.

Last edited by AndrewG; 21 Jan 2023 at 12:20.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.

Page generated in 0.03735 seconds with 14 queries.