View Single Post
Old 20 Feb 2023, 21:33   #10
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Well I have still not seen BOOH the musical but I was disappointed what was done with We Will Rock You after hearing rave reviews over the years.

It seemed the makers were sort of on the edge of something that could have been quite great and instead the show comes across as cheap, tacky and lack of drama. Even Ben Elton's narration introduction sort of sets that tone. As if you are seeing a pantomine with some Queen songs thrown in. Consider some of the mega strong lyrics in the songs that could in a slow reprise setting, literally have someone crawling on the floor on stage and leave the audience in tears: "If I could only reach you, if I could make you smile, If I could only reach you. That would really be a breakthrough...."
I'm stunned such obvious things weren't done. The best song Bohemian Rhapsody isn't even tied into the story which is insane.

It seems a similar attitude was perhaps present during production of BOOH the musical, but most certainly the touring versions going by the comments and some of the things I'm reading "encore". What the hell? Encore? Handheld microphones used? This is supposed to be musical theatre, not a rock show.

Just playing the songs is simply not good enough. The lyrics must be lived, felt, re-prised at key moments. A hell of lot of is possible.
The fantasy setting doesn't interest me. The emotion, drama, escape etc all do.

Last edited by AndrewG; 20 Feb 2023 at 22:00.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02843 seconds with 14 queries.