View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2016, 15:39   #3
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I have to agree with Caryl (!!!!WHAT?!??! WHATTTT!!!! It's true) -- this is a 10/10 for me (in the context of this album, not in comparison to say, AFL, which is 10/10 on a completely different scale). I 'get' the track, and, considering I've had the privilege of hearing three different versions -- all with Jim's vocals -- over the past two years (and some pretty lengthy discussions with him about it) I can honestly say that I think this is the definitive version of the song, and the arrangement is sublime. I can see how it wouldn't be everybody's 'cup of tea', but for me it's EXACTLY the song I wanted this album to open with.

RE the '19 year old' thing. I don't quite see it that way. Sure, that might've the frame of mind that worked for Meat when he was delivering the vocals and getting into character, but that's where it ends for me (if you want to get all Barthes you can call it 'Death of the Artist' or something) -- so I really don't see it as 'a 68 year old man playing a 19 year old kid'. That's not what I see when I listen to the song (you don't want to know what I see ... I live there, folks -- it ain't pretty).

10/10

(though it's still interesting to hear who DIDN'T like the track, and why).

Last edited by ThatWriterGuy; 11 Oct 2016 at 16:01.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.06681 seconds with 14 queries.