View Single Post
Old 08 May 2018, 11:58   #6796
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Avengers: Infinity War (2018 )

I liked it quite a bit.
Much better than the nihilism approach in Last Jedi. Marvel has easily beaten the very tired Star Wars approach now I'd say (constantly replaying rebels vs Empire - sigh). Star Wars was better in the era of practical effects for sure. It suited it much better. Marvel easily wins in the CGI era.

Marvel also seems to have been affected much less by political correctness. Or at least it seems more natural. Star Wars seems to contain incredibly forced political correctness at the moment: "we need a female heroine (all brunettes at the moment btw! - so much for diversity) but she needs to be hugely powerful and not have any faults because that may be insulting towards women", "we need a black actor because... he is black.", "All bad guys are white male nazis who are bumbling buffoons" etc. There are hugely inconsistent problems with the Star Wars story line how they are dealing with a female heroine in general. She is initially not interested in relationships / sex it seems only to then almost succumb to the charms of the main mass murdering badly written villain. Madness.

Lucasfilm seems like a joke production company vs Marvel at the moment if you compare how they are dealing with diversity and gender equality. One takes a natural route, the other tries to point out that all its male white fans should be ashamed of themselves for... just existing. Bizarre how parent Disney is allowing this to happen in an obvious manner in my opinion.

It's all a bit nonsense the Marvel universe of course, especially the Wakanda crap and somewhat inconsistent in places. Indeed someone points out that Scarlet Witch wasn't available during a massive conflict which makes no sense since she is the most powerful one.
Indeed all nonsense but it is quite top drawer nonsense I think. Much better than any other Marvel movie I've seen so far, especially the useless Iron Man 3 and pathetic Age of Ultron.
I liked the background story of the bad guy. That is how you do an interesting villain. Something Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams don't seem to know.

Only negative I can think of was the ridiculous 9 minutes of relentless brass filled music during the end credits waiting for the post credit scene.
Uninspired music in my opinion. Using a more interesting pallet of instruments (piano solos or acoustic guitar solos etc.) would have made the wait a bit more bearable. Real lack of themes in film music and subtlety in general these days it seems.

Regardless, infinity war I think is a hugely enjoyable escapism thrill ride especially in 4DX if you can access it.
Looking forward to part 2 and see how the cliffhanger(s) play out.

9/10

Last edited by AndrewG; 08 May 2018 at 12:20.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02651 seconds with 14 queries.