View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2013, 22:50   #52
stretch37
Mega Loafer

I am 25 years old, and grew up in the "digital" age of music, movies, games, and content. Let me give you a little tidbit. I generally download an artists stuff FIRST, to see if I like it. If I do, I go buy their stuff, and then proceed to buy it for years. THE ILLEGAL THING HELPED FUND THE ARTIST . I would not have seen 6 of Meat's shows, bought every album since CHSIB, etc if I had not downloaded some discography off of LimeWire. Thank you file sharing for helping me discover and support my favorite artist! And just for kicks, I'd like to discuss Free to Play computer games. Developers have realized that users don't want to pay a monthly fee for a game first and then figure out of they like it. So after the first month free that comes with most Massively Multiplayer Online Games (MMO's for anyone unfamiliar with the abbreviation), most players would tend to stop playing because they did not want to shell out a monthly fee. Player base dropped drastically. Developers have gotten smart, and changed with the times. Free To Play games, such as Rift, offer the player ability to try the entire game, and in fact play for free as long as they'd like! If the user likes the game, they will feel enticed to spend money on parts of the game. (Rift is not Pay To Win...like so many F2P games are). Here is a good example of the artists (in this case game artists, designers and programmers) rolling with it. And its making them Billions.

Honestly...So many artists have bootlegs. So many of them have lots of their music torrented. What it says about the artist is that people love them, and want to consume their stuff. The more popular a band, the more bootlegs and illegal downloads will happen. Its a similar case for movies and tv shows, or live dvds. What really frustrates me is that many bands and artists feel angry or threatened by it. The ones who realize what the people want are thrilled that people love their stuff, and they monetize the situation.

-Linkin Park release soundboards after every concert, which are available for purchase off of their website
-Bon Jovi release live streams that viewers can tune into for part of the show, or purchase a pass to watch the entire stream
-Bon Jovi releases soundboards for sale, or live DVD's of the show if somone didn't catch the live stream.
-The Rolling Stones recently released a live DVD of one of their recent shows for sale online. It went up quickly after the show happened.
-There are a plethora of other methods used to monetize a fan's need for more, rather than complaining about it.

torrents, rapidshare downloads, etc are and have been happening for years, and are steadily increasing. The clever ones realize this, and act proactively. Rather than me having to find a bootleg of a Bon Jovi concert, I can download their latest concert online for a nominal fee or watch the live stream. Rather than having to attend a stones concert and pay $4000 to get there and get decent seats and accomodation, I can download the dvd soon after the show for a nominal fee. Rather than....Oh, you get my drift :P

I see no harm in bootlegs, and I am so grateful for the true fans who have spent, I am almost certain, hundreds of hours of their time sifting through downloaded youtubes and fan video and compiling it...Literally scraping together something memorable from bits and pieces around the web, and making it as beautiful as possible, because NOTHING better exists. If it does, it was released 3 years ago, 1 year ago, or happened 1 year ago and was released now. The current generation of fans wants more stuff more often, and the bands who are riding with the tide (even the one's where their average age is 69) are responding to this and making money rather than losing it.

I have no ending for this so I take a small bow.... (George Carlin reference for anybody interested)

Last edited by stretch37; 23 Aug 2013 at 23:02.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.04616 seconds with 14 queries.