View Single Post
Old 15 Jan 2020, 00:57   #6885
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
After watching Rise of Skywalker a few more times at the cinema I have to say I think it's my favourite Star Wars movie. It may not objectively be the best (still think New Hope or Empire deserve that award) but man it is just so good (if you can enjoy). So many little moments are very special to me. Great stuff. Movies come and go but for me the Back to the future trilogy and the Star Wars movies always reign supreme.
There is definately a lot wrong with The Rise of Skywalker, but it's predecessor made it almost impossible to focus on a decent ending. And still JJ Abrahms managed to do that.
Rian Johnson's ego was bigger than his love for the SW franchise, wich resulted in a movie without explanations and a lot of forgettable characters that, all of a sudden, seemed of importance to the story. He neglected the built up to Rey's history, he got rid of Snoke as if it was a nobody too, he focussed more on an (unlikely) romance between Kylo and Rey. And it almost felt as if he had no interest in Luke. And that Luke was only in the movie because Rian was contractual obligated to tell Luke's story. So he decided to see if he could destroy that part of the Skywalker Legacy.

At least Rise of Skywalker fixed about 70% of what Last Jedi tried to destroy. But it had it's consequenses. And it hurt the story of the third installment of the new Trilogy. What JJ did though, and had done before with TFA -again although flawed- was giving the old generation of the Original Trilogy that Star Wars nostalgic feeling back. If you line up the three movies it's obvious that Last Jedi is the one that doesn't fit in and doesn't share the same emotion and feeling of the other movies. In fact, TFA and TROS have a close connection to the Original Trilogy, where TLJ feels more like the Prequel movies.

Perhaps the younger generation of fans sees it the oposite, but for me JJ saved as much of Star Wars as possible. And I, as an Original Trilogy fan, can only imagine how great this trilogy would have been if Rian Johnson had not been a part of it.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.

Page generated in 0.02447 seconds with 14 queries.