View Single Post
Old 07 Feb 2023, 17:28   #7
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 7,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
As much as I would love for all this to happen I just don't see it. The time for Meat to monetize his back catalogue was 20 years ago and he obviously wasn't interested/able. Unfortunately I suspect a good chunk of Meat's fan base is now either dead, in a nursing home or no longer bothered. What record company will spend the time and effort on something like this when the return on investment will be negligible?
Harsh reality.

Look at the focking clown show at the Grammys the other day where everything weird and politically influenced and devil worship is what is praised to the heavens. That is today's music.

Not Meat Loaf.


At least Meat won his Grammy when music was still a thing.


I expect nothing. Maybe a Bat 50th anniversary in 2027 on vinyl mostly - nothing special, the same remaster - but that may well be it forever.

The music industry seems weird. I thought there would be an enormous fuss with the likes of Michael Jackson and Prince passing and we would see endless new albums, documentaries, films (an MJ film is finally in the works) and lots of box sets with lots of vault things. Look at the lovely Tracks boxset Bruce Springsteen did in the late 90s. It is actually a great collection if you are a fan of his. Really good stuff that is worth the bother. We haven't seen anything like that. Two crappy albums from Jackson with 1 or 2 interesting songs.
Prince had tonnes of vault stuff.

Seems to me people don't actually care much and rather stick with the old hits. Sometimes, also quantity doesn't necessarily mean quality.
AND I think it possibly matters if an artist dies close to the peak of their careers or not. Jackson and Prince had been forgotten about quite a bit by the time they passed. Sure, Jackson was going to do the 50 O2 shows. But as we saw in This is It, it would only have been songs from the 80s and early 90s mostly and his later efforts forgotten about.

Compare that to people such as Amy Winehouse, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin. They all died close to the time when their best stuff was released.

I'm sure with artists such as Freddie from Queen and Elvis far more money was made after their deaths than during the time they were alive from their music. But people always played the classics, never the B sides. There have been a few gems here and there that were not available during their actual lifetimes but they have been few and far between.

With Meat's vault stuff, even if impressive, as stated, there is most likely no monetary gain whatsoever as he didn't die at the peak of his career. Unlike Freddie and Elvis, who were much, much closer to theirs (just 4-5 years out in fact).

IF there is a Meat Loaf release. Expect Bat. At best Bat 2. Nothing more, nothing else.


As fans it is always understandable we want more but for the average audience there is enough Meat Loaf stuff out there.
It is similar to Queen. There are some (in my opinion) terrible songs in their back catalogue.
People will think the same about Meat. Remember when everyone sat down during the 4 Teddy Bear songs on that tour at the UK shows? It was weird.
For them Teddy Bear itself can be considered a bad B side / vault stuff. So there genuinely is no need for more that may just be worse to their ears.

With Springsteen I think it's interesting because I genuinely think almost everything he wrote prior to 1998 when Tracks was released was pretty good and the vault stuff showed that he was still quite consistent even with songs that didn't make the album cuts. I personally feel his writing nose dived quite a bit after The Rising in 2002. I personally couldn't care less about B sides from after that era. The Wrecking Ball album seemed like a one off last hurrah. Doubt I will genuinely love another Springsteen album. His latest cover album, just like what Phil Collins did is just embarrassing in my opinion.

When an artist has released 10+ albums I think enough is enough for most people out there, even some hardcore fans who went to many shows.

Probably quite understandable.


So vault stuff from Meat? Doubt we will ever see a thing. Sorry.

Last edited by AndrewG; 07 Feb 2023 at 18:16.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Page generated in 0.05028 seconds with 13 queries.