View Single Post
Old 10 Feb 2011, 14:57   #25
Sarge
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 08.05.2008
Posts: 3,562
Default

Quote:
2. Remastered Music Videos of "Modern Girl", "Piece of the Action", "Nowhere Fast", and "Surfs Up"
There is a music video for Piece Of The Action? The only "video" I know is a scene from Der Formel Eins Film in which Meat performs that song.

That and the fact that the alleged content rather appears like a fan's wishful thinking than something that's likely to appear on an official DVD are only two of the reasons why I'm suspcious of that announcement. It would be great if Bad Attitude Live would be re-released this way but I really doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Fans of other artists get good quality live stuff. Meat Loaf fans have to make do with crappily produced efforts like the Rockpalast DVD and the Wembley '87 CD or poor shows like 3 Bats Live.
I agree. Bad Attitude Live and Live with the MSO (the DVD) are the only excellent official releases of Meat Loaf live performances so far, in my opinion (though BA is a bit short).
The Live / In Concert video is okay but does not show Meat in his prime.
3 Bats Live is cool as long as you watch the fantastic band but do not pay that much attention to Meat as he apparently is not in good shape and doesn't seem to enjoy being on stage that night. It's really a pity because technically and with regard to content it's a good release (I bought the special edition incl. In Search Of Paradise and some merch and it wasn't that expensive). If Meat's performance had been better it would have been a great DVD.
Live at Rockpalast / Bat Out Of Hell The Original Tour: One of the rare documents of the Bat I era but many fans seem to be dissatisfied with the sound quality. I think Eagle Rock could have done a slightly better job on that and some other things, I have other Rockpalast DVDs in which they obviously put more effort and ethusiasm. All in all it's not that bad but maybe it could have been better.

And what have we gotten with regard to CDs so far?

- Live: Good performance but short and a product of the 1980s, the sound quality doesn't knock my socks off.
- Live Around The World: Nice compilation of songs from all periods of Meat's career as a singer, aside from the annoying, repetive crowd noise they felt the urge to put on each track. Not available anymore, doesn't show up on eBay often either.
- Bat Out Of Hell Live with the MSO: Another good release, unfortunately it consists only of the Bat I songs (+ Anything and CHSIB, depending on the release).
- The live CD from the Bat II Collectors Edition: Again Bat I songs only (+ Anything).
- 3 Bats Live: The only Meat Loaf live album I have avoided so far. It always appeared like a by-product of the DVD to me. Strange song selection, cheap appearance.
- Casa De Carne Live Album: Pretty good compilation, aside from the disproportionate crowd noise that spoils the atmosphere and the fact that I have to skip Anything.

So what's available with regard to official live recordings to the Meat Loaf fan these days? One DVD that provides good video as well as audio quality and a good performance (MSO) and a handful of CDs most of which aren't bad but lack something nonetheless.

So what does the fan do? Look for live stuff on the web - until a red pony comes galopping along, trampling down many a treasure...

If I had the missing footage of the BA show as well as decent versions of the Nowhere Fast and Surf's Up videos and the right to publish the stuff, I'd be happy to put out such a DVD. There is not that much footage on the market that provides an overview of Meat Loaf's career over the years. What you currently find on the shelves is Rockpalast (1978 ), MSO (2004) and 3 Bats (2007). The 1980s and 1990s are entirely missing, so two decades of Meat Loaf as a live performer aren't available. It's about time for a Meat Loaf DVD that provides great quality with regard to content, picture, sound and performance.

Last edited by AndyK; 10 Feb 2011 at 20:21.
Sarge is offline  
 

Page generated in 0.04216 seconds with 13 queries.