Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq
BUT when Meat uses explicit language on stage he gets a good rise from the audience as well as laughter at times. These words are used in the song to be grungy and dirty, not to be "hip". It just sounds like certain folk want more of the same Meat Loaf of albums past. He's moved on from that style for now. It's not your cup of tea, we get it, he gets it....it doesn't mean he's going to change his style for some disgruntled old timer fans.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG
You're so kind SuzieQ for calling me a "some disgruntled old timer fan", that is really nice of you. Those disgruntled old timer fans did help Meat Loaf get to where he is now. It's ironic to conclude that the attitude of some here and perhaps even Meat Loaf included on this matter is simply "well F*ck you if you don't like it"
Once again, the main point (which no-one except Sarge seems to be talking about, which is strange considering everyone thinks the lyrics are so great and "relevant" -sigh) I was trying to get across is that I think there is a difference between Meat cracking jokes; saying "F*ck you" to Patti at the end of Paradise, "F*ck it" occasionally etc and singing lyrics such as "And f*ck you when she's done". Using the word F*ck to describe sex is completely different than using it as an insult.
I do not believe that Meat resorting to this kind of language; mostly trying to shock is the only alternative than songs sounding like old timer Steinman ones. I think that is a rather absurd conclusion.
Seeing a "Fan" campaign trying to get the one song I find the most annoying to get to chart really disappoints me as I simply do not think it is a good representation of what Meat Loaf is all about. This song all seemed about shock or trying to be hip/cool whatever; yeah we will get Jack Black on this, make it the shortest song on the record and throw a "f*ck you when she's done" in there. Keep on blaming the record companies for low sales, keep calling me disgruntled, old timer all you want but I do not think this is right, it is not helping Meat and his image in my opinion and it is simply not "music" I want to listen to any more.  I care enough about everything that has gone before to try to explain myself, if that makes you hate me or my opinions, so be it.
|
Now I usually don't agree with some on this forum, but I'm not sure why you're taking offense. I don't see your name in the post.
As for the f**k word, isn't Paradise about a guy trying to f**k a woman in a car? The word isn't used, but we get the meaning behind the song. I know Jim Steinman didn't use the word, but what if he had? Would you give it a pass because it's a Steinman song or he'd use it more cleverly? Some people, by the way, take great offense at the words Hell, God damn and Ass no matter what way they are used. I think the point of Suzieq's post is that some Meat Loaf fans expect a Steinman written or Steinmanesque album everytime. They didn't get it with HCTB and that leaves them feeling like Meat Loaf is forgetting his original fan base. I think with some of the responses, some classic Meat Loaf fans like it, some don't. Everybody has a right to their opinion. If you don't like it, that's ok.
I haven't kept it a secret that I'm a huge Metallica fan. As I've said on many threads, I love their classic albums and some of their latest albums don't appeal to me as much. But I understand why their music has transformed over the years...out of need. If they had kept their hard thrash and speed metal edge, they may have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Their music has evolved to appeal to a new audience. That's ok. If their's something on a new album I don't like, I don't listen to it. Simple as that.
Here's what I think happened. The post did hit a nerve because you are a fan of Meat Loaf's classic albums and the cursing doesn't appeal to you. You're a passionate fan and feel strongly about this topic. That's ok. But, you get upset and post back. Take you first sentence out of your post and you make a valid point which some agree with. There was no need to take offense.
P.S. LAR was voted on and won. Somebody likes it.