View Single Post
Old 03 Jun 2008, 16:30   #9
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker
 
Join Date: 17.09.2005
Location:  London
Posts: 12,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Helen~ View Post
HA! A geeky question I am embarassed to say I know the answer to (blame the ex boyfriend - geek-ness rubs off )

Anywho, there are many explanations floating around t'internet as to how this originated, but the basis is that it's one better than 'owned' (I suppose seeing as the letter 'p' is one further on in the alphabet than 'o'...I just think it started as a mistype since the letters are next to each other on the keyboard!)...owned meaning dominates or being better than (as opposed to the usual possessive 'owns')...I think it was sort of gaming speak, where people would say "he pwned you" (or whatever) to someone who has just been beaten.

Aren't you glad you asked...??
If I've gotta learn a new language to use this t'internet thingy I'm screwed lol

daft question again aimed more to the people that use this term...could they explain how PWNs is better than OWNs and if not would that make them a [rat?????
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Page generated in 0.02563 seconds with 13 queries.