I think the problem is...while most people understand what is going on on the web...most people also think...well...that can't happen to me...
The ability to distinquish between what is real and what isn't...is a great skill and one that should be developed by everybody...
I do believe that being online for a while teaches you that skill. Not sure how those two were able to go on for 6 months without seeing even little discrepancies...little lies...
If somebody is not honest about who they are or what they want...sooner or later...it comes out...little discrepancies creep in...
One example. I was once in a chatroom...and a person was talking about being in Gulf war and being a hero etc etc etc
Everything rang true...person gained respect of many...until one day somebody asked him how old he is...and he told us his age...
Something in my head immediately started ringing bells...right...at the time of the war...if the age was given right...that person must have been 5 years old!!! I called him on it...that's the last time anybody saw him ever in that chat...and yet...this is not a fact...person like that might have logged in again and again under different login ID with a different story...problem was...the story did ring absolutely true...even to a veteran of chatrooms like me...
Pay attention to what person says...sooner or later...everything secret becomes obvious...
|