mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Messages (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Who want's to see Meat AS a West End play? (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3307)

Pudding 08 Feb 2004 22:41

Who want's to see Meat AS a West End play?
 
No doubt this has been mentioned somewhere here and is hidden deep within the bowels of past posts but I was wondering what everyone though of Meat Loafs life story as either a play, a musical or neither.

Ooo hang on I could set up one of them Poll thingies again.

Pud:o]

Pudding 08 Feb 2004 22:58

I know this has been merged with another topic but I can't think why? madonna123968848 post was "Do you you want to see Meat IN a West End play?" and mine was "Do you want to see Meat AS a West End play?"

These are 2 completely different and seperate questions and one should not be confused with the other.

Pud:o]

R. 08 Feb 2004 23:04

Good point, give me sec ... done.

RSG 09 Feb 2004 03:38

Well, if Meat ever had done anything on his life related to presenting in a show, I would like it to be done in a play. I think awesome musicals are really cool, but why not a play. 8)

dottie 09 Feb 2004 09:30

Musical most definitely :D

little_dancer 09 Feb 2004 22:51

I guess musical would make the most sense(cents :lol: )...I don't think you could re-visit something as over-the-top as Bat (or the 70's for that matter! ) as a play PLUS I think OVEREXAGGERATION is welcome and necessary in the telling of Meat and Jim's history- and I don't know if you could do 'excessivity' successfully as a play. What do you think, Pud?

LD

Pudding 09 Feb 2004 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by little_dancer
What do you think, Pud?

LD

I try not to, as sometimes it hurts....LOL

Personally a musical would grab my attention as I love musical theatre and think that's the way to go but a play would bring out the more seriousness of Meat's life: being beaten up by his Dad, his breakdown, drinking urine, that sort of thing.

With the ever growing number of arteeeests who are jumping on the band wagon with their own life story come back catalogue of songs I think Meat Loaf is a very good option for theatre. Perhaps a book musical like Buddy might be the best option.

Pud:o]

heat 10 Feb 2004 00:19

I think a Musical would be excellent - but just pondering one thing...


Would Meat play himself, and if not - who would play him???? 8O

Pudding 10 Feb 2004 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by heat
Would Meat play himself, and if not - who would play him???? 8O

I personally wouldn't want to see Meat play himself as he'd try and act out certain things more dramatically or leave certain things out. Also he's pointed out before that he never does the same show twice, so you'd need someone who could handle the repetitivenous of doing the same show every night except Sunday's.

As for who to play him, well I don't know who's hot and who's not on the musical stage these day's but whoever it is has to be able to sing and be of suitable proportions and not necessarily look exactly like him.

Pud:o]

heat 10 Feb 2004 00:38

What do we think of the bloke who played him in the film To Hell And Back???

Suitable to play him in Musical/Play???

Or would we want someone like our own Steve Steinman or Mousie to play him???

goodhip 10 Feb 2004 01:02

What a great idea meat the musical but what do you call it what songs woud it be meats songs or new ones how do you fit meats life and career into 2 hours who plays who and how does it end all feel big questions that need to be answered but a great idea when can i but tickets

goodhip 10 Feb 2004 01:03

What a great idea meat the musical but what do you call it what songs woud it be meats songs or new ones how do you fit meats life and career into 2 hours who plays who and how does it end all feel big questions that need to be answered but a great idea when can i but tickets

Pudding 10 Feb 2004 02:11

I think there's three possible ways a musical could be done:

1) Using existing Meat Loaf songs to tell his life story.
2) Use new and old songs in chronological order while tell his life story
3) Use Meat Loaf songs to tell a completely different story like in Mamma Mia and We Will Rock You

I think since Jim Steinman uses some of his songs in musicals i.e. Tanz Der Vampire and we can all guess which ones he'll use for Batman then it's only fair that most of these aren't used but I think some of them will inevitably have to be used.

I would like to see option (2) be used with a mixture of some old songs and a few new songs. With it being his life story then you'd have to start from when he was at school and wanting to leave home and follow it right up to Bat Out Of Hell 3. With any song that does get used then they'd have to be cut back to 4 minutes or so, just to get the blinking lot in.

Pud:o]

BillyPhatu 12 Feb 2004 01:27

Speaking as a theatre buff, I'd say it should be a "very clever musical". To just make it a musical would be wrong and not very interesting - they tend to be really empty. A play, on the other hand, I don't think would suit Meat's character - he has led an exciting and musical life, something which, with the right script and storytelling, could be represented in a really sophisticated, fringe-musical kinda way.

You know, a little bit like Hedwig or Rocky Horror in terms of a wild but brilliant storyline with the best songs ever 8)

Pudding 12 Feb 2004 01:36

That depends if you like Hedwig or Rocky Horror. Personally I can't stand Hedwig and Rocky Horror doesn't do much for me at all. I think the only reason Rocky Horror ever got off the ground was because it allowed all the closet transvestites to dress up in their mummy's clothes without being arrested.

Pud :twisted:

heat 12 Feb 2004 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudding
I think the only reason Rocky Horror ever got off the ground was because it allowed all the closet transvestites to dress up in their mummy's clothes without being arrested.


You say that like it's a bad thing.... :twisted:


Seriously though, I think i agree with Billy here, Music has played such an important role in Meat's life that i really don't think a play would do him justice, whereas a musical based on his life story would be a helluva lot more interesting...

LostSoul 12 Feb 2004 18:26

I voted 'neither'! why?
Because Meat is already a musical and a play all by himself...


Patricia
... hoping I'm not the only one to understand what I wrote! :roll:


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:48.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R.


Page generated in 0.02990 seconds with 11 queries.