mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Coupe de Ville (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   For all age-challenged Meat Fans (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15426)

stretch37 05 Aug 2010 00:00

For all age-challenged Meat Fans

So I'm in my early twenties. I fell in love with Meat's CHSIB sound back in 2005. I followed him through the release of Bat 3 (LOVED my first listen of BBAB) and subsequently saw the 3rd show of his 2007 tour. He's been my favorite artist by far since then.

I've listened to a lot of Bat 2...as far as live stuff, 3 Bats live, MSO, Storytellers.

I love all of his songs that he included in 3 bats live, mso and storytellers, not to mention casa de carne live. Noteable songs I like a lot from pre-CHSIB era and post bat 1 (I don't care much for his bat 1 sound, i like the new Meat sound, although I love Bat 1 songs sang in his current form) are:

-Not A Dry Eye live and recorded versions
-Objects
-A kiss is a terrible thing to waste
-I'd lie for you

With that said, and now that I've revealed my relatively 'newbness' as a Meat fan, I'll pose the question that is the purpose of this thread:

For what past albums is it practically sinful that a newb such as myself has NOT bothered to listen? :cool:

Evil One 05 Aug 2010 00:03

Dead Ringer and then hunt down Live Around The World.

youngJB 05 Aug 2010 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch37 (Post 509742)
So I'm in my early twenties. I fell in love with Meat's CHSIB sound back in 2005. I followed him through the release of Bat 3 (LOVED my first listen of BBAB) and subsequently saw the 3rd show of his 2007 tour. He's been my favorite artist by far since then.

I've listened to a lot of Bat 2...as far as live stuff, 3 Bats live, MSO, Storytellers.

I love all of his songs that he included in 3 bats live, mso and storytellers, not to mention casa de carne live. Noteable songs I like a lot from pre-CHSIB era and post bat 1 (I don't care much for his bat 1 sound, i like the new Meat sound, although I love Bat 1 songs sang in his current form) are:

-Not A Dry Eye live and recorded versions
-Objects
-A kiss is a terrible thing to waste
-I'd lie for you

With that said, and now that I've revealed my relatively 'newbness' as a Meat fan, I'll pose the question that is the purpose of this thread:

For what past albums is it practically sinful that a newb such as myself has NOT bothered to listen? :cool:

Funny, cuz Couldn't Have Said It Better and Bat III were the last Meat albums I found. I started with Bat I, stayed with that for about 5 years, then found Dead Ringer and Bat II. Deinitely buy Bad Attitude as well. I'd recommend all of his albums, including the infamous Blind Before I Stop, which I personally love.

Wario 05 Aug 2010 04:03

I suggest order Bad Attitude, Live Around The World, and Dead Ringer from Amazon. Best albums officially released besides the ones you have.

Id say Blind Before I Stop, but in actuality it takes time to grow on you. Newbies will surely hate it. I Hated Masculine and have come to love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch37 (Post 50974)
as far as live stuff, 3 Bats live, MSO, Storytellers.

I remember when thats all the live stuff I had.

RadioMaster 05 Aug 2010 08:02

get yourself a copy of Welcome to the Neighbourhood. If you're more into the 'new sound' this is probably the best you can get. Not a dry eye and I'd lie for you are perfect examples for the overall sound of the album.

Monstro 05 Aug 2010 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 509744)
Dead Ringer and then hunt down Live Around The World.

Beat me to it

Wario 05 Aug 2010 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 509744)
Dead Ringer and then hunt down Soundcheck Around The World.

Corrected You.

:))

Drumbum 05 Aug 2010 15:14

I got into Meat in 2007 when Bat 3 came on my MP3 player. Saw him in Donegal in 2008.
I have Dead Ringer and Bad Attitude, love both of the albums! Have the Bat Out Of Hell "collection", HCTB, Heaven and Hell with Bonnie Tyler, Rock 'N' Roll Hero and I think there could be another. I'll have to check later!

LucyK! 05 Aug 2010 15:23

As a fairly young Meat fan myself, I think it's important to listen to all of the albums and appreciate each one for what it is/was, even if you don't particularly like the music.

I became a fan aged 7 when Anything For Love was released so my first album was Bat II then Neighbourhood and so on, but I loved collecting the back catalogue and putting all the bits of Meaty history together, especially as most of the albums I originally got on vinyl which I always felt was how they were "meant" to sound. Personally I don't care for some of the songs on Blind Before I Stop or Midnight At The Lost And Found, but they make up part of the Meat jigsaw that I wasn't around for.

The Flying Mouse 05 Aug 2010 20:14

:twisted: Nobody has recomended Meat Loaf & Stoney? :bleh:

Meat hasn't got an awfully big back catolouge.
Off the top of my head, albums and live releases as follows............

Meat Loaf & Stoney (very different to what you would think of as Meat Loaf).
Bat.
Dead Ringer
Midnight At The Lost & Found
Bad Attitude
Blind Before I Stop
Meat Loaf Live (recorded 1987 at Wembley)
Bat II
Welcome To The Neighbourhood
Live Around The World
The Very Best Of (features 3 new songs)
Storytellers
CHSIB
Bat Live with MSO
Bat III
3 Bats Live
HCTB

Every album has it's plus points (some more than others, but that is down to personal opinion).
If you had all the albums on the above list, you would have the vast majority of Meat's musical work.
there are rarer one off tracks such as B sides and songs done for various other albums and collections, but collecting his albums is going to give you the best base for your collection, as well as giving you a larger ammount of Meat Loaf songs sooner.

Compilations are something you may wish to avoid if you just wish to collect Meat's music.
There are great songs on Rock N Roll Hero (if it's the one i'm thinking of.There are at least 3 compilations called R&R Hero) but you can buy 10 Arista compilations and still not own all the songs on the three Arista albums releases.
That said, there is nothing at all wrong with a few compilations, or even every one you can find (they can also make a good collection in their own right) just as long as you remember that the albums are far more important and efficient method for having a comprehensive collection on Meat music.

Evil One 05 Aug 2010 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse (Post 509855)
Live Around The World (recorded 1987 at Wembley)

I think you put that in the wrong place! :twisted:

LucyK! 05 Aug 2010 20:26

I think the album is in the right place but the description isn't...

Evil One 05 Aug 2010 20:27

I know what I meant! :-P

AndyK 05 Aug 2010 20:29

Free For All is worth having eventually too. But I wouldn't put it at the top of the must buy list.

The Flying Mouse 05 Aug 2010 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 509856)
I think you put that in the wrong place! :twisted:

:twisted: My bad :oops:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy! (Post 509860)
I think the album is in the right place but the description isn't...

:up:
I typed out the albums then added the notes in brackets.
Saw the word "live" and typed the info on the wrong line.
Never type and edit faster than you can think :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 509861)
I know what I meant! :-P

That'd be a first :p :lol:

AndyK 05 Aug 2010 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse (Post 509875)
Never type and edit faster than you can think :facepalm:

There's a prize for the first "but you'd never post anything following that rule Neil" post that anyone makes.

Oh that was me, I've won a CHSIB vinyl :yay:

The Flying Mouse 05 Aug 2010 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 509876)
There's a prize for the first "but you'd never post anything following that rule Neil" post that anyone makes.

:twisted: Are you saying that I type really fast? :bleh:

RadioMaster 05 Aug 2010 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyK (Post 509862)
Free For All is worth having eventually too. But I wouldn't put it at the top of the must buy list.

a Ted Nugent album that is, with Meat on lead vocal.

I think the Very Best Of from 99 (98?) is a good start. That's how I got hooked. Feeatures a good variety covering almost every album.

Also there's a bunch of records only semi-related to the Loaf. Such as several Rocky Horror (Picture) Show soundtracks or The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra one.

You should also check out some of the duets he recorded for other artists albums, such as Kickapoo with Tenacious D, A Time for Heroes with Brian May, Back To Sorrento with Pavarotti or Tonight is Right for Love for the South Park album. (I guess you can find most of them on youtube)

Now if you find yourself getting into Steinman as well, please come back to me :))

Wario 05 Aug 2010 21:35

thing is once you've collected everything thats been studio pressed, you'll soon find yourself making a Live collection as well. Its magic :))

i miss the old days when All i had was a walkman and LATW. I didnt even know the wembley CD Existed....

RadioMaster 05 Aug 2010 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarioLoaf (Post 509883)
Its magic :))

wasnt that that strange song with the skeletons in the attic Meat Loaf wrote for John Parr?

Wario 05 Aug 2010 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioMaster (Post 509888)
wasnt that that strange song with the skeletons in the attic Meat Loaf wrote for John Parr?

you mean Magical? Yeah. very very odd song. BBIS wouldve benefited from it...