mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   It's all coming back to me now - Meat Loaf or Celine Dion? (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17109)

robgomm 10 Jul 2011 11:58

It's all coming back to me now - Meat Loaf or Celine Dion?

Silly question to ask on here I guess really, but I only ask because when I first heard that song by Celine Dion 15 or so years ago it really struck a chord and touched me. It's one of my favourite songs ever full stop, so when I heard Meat was going to do it I wasn't sure whether I would like it or not.

I needn't have worried as I love his version of the song too, and I think it actually works better as a duet than a solo song. Having said that it's very hard for me to shake that special feeling that Celine gave me the first time I heard it. So I can't really choose, but i'd love to hear your thoughts?

DJLeen 10 Jul 2011 12:01

DUH!! Meat Loaf offcourse! He made a duet of it and that makes the song more meaningful.

Evil One 10 Jul 2011 12:33

Neither. Where's the option for Elaine Caswell's version? Celine's is pretty much the same but with worse vocals and bits missing. Meat's is terrible and Desmond Child ripped the guts out of it. Also I don't see how having two people sing a solo song at the same time makes it more meaningful, especially when the song is about being on your own. :shrug:

Bohemian 10 Jul 2011 13:31

Evil One hit the nail on the head. The Pandora's Box version is the definitive version for sure.

Meat and Desmond's is edited to death and makes no sense as a duet.

:|

evil nickname 10 Jul 2011 13:42

Of those two, Celine Dion. But the Pandora's Box version is the definite version.

Also, this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohemian (Post 547463)
Meat and Desmond's is edited to death and makes no sense as a duet. :|

Mr. Happy 10 Jul 2011 15:14

It's All Coming Back To Me Now is literally one of only three or four Steinman songs that Meat Loaf has covered WITHOUT the help of Steinman that I actually really enjoy better than the original. I prefer it to both the Celine Dion and Pandora's Box versions :) It sounds better as a duet, in my opinion.

carole 10 Jul 2011 16:18

Meat Loaf, no question. While I usually hate all Celine Dion's songs, I did like her version at the time, and when I realised who wrote it thought Meat would sing it better, which he did.

Carole

youngJB 10 Jul 2011 17:11

Celine is kinda like Barry Manilow. Nice voice, but not qualified to sing a rock epic written by Jim Steinman.

To be honest, the song is undoubtedly one of Steinman's most emotional, but its still what I would consider a "Ridiculous, Epic Rock Opera." It's stong and has great lyrics, but its still pretty long winded and ridiculous. And I don't really think Celine got that when she sung it.

It's kinda the music equivalent of casting George Clooney as Batman. Celine is a pop singer, and she has a really cool voice. BUT, she sings it like karaoke.

Steinman songs almost require a character actor to sing them.

Hopefully I don't sound like I'm being too hard on Celine. She's a great singer, she's just bad casting for one of Steinman's best songs.

GDW 10 Jul 2011 17:30

Pandoras Box version for sure. The production is much better.

JennaG 10 Jul 2011 18:17

I'm not saying I dislike Meat's version but I prefer Celine's simply because I prefer it as a solo song.

PanicLord 10 Jul 2011 19:11

Awesome, I think it let me vote for both! I prefer the production on Celine's, but Meat's performance.

Wario 10 Jul 2011 20:34

Im gonna wait till someone adds the pandora's box version to this poll. Because as of now, I don't like either (and theirs no option for that either).

The Flying Mouse 10 Jul 2011 20:56

:twisted: Elaine Caswell added to the list of suspects :up:

PanicLord 10 Jul 2011 21:53

Darnit, I prefer that production to Celine's! Very similar, but more backing vocals and atmos. Actually, I think that version just edges Meat's for me.

The Flying Mouse 10 Jul 2011 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicLord (Post 547483)
Darnit, I prefer that production to Celine's! Very similar, but more backing vocals and atmos. Actually, I think that version just edges Meat's for me.

:twisted: I'll reverse your votes and add one to EC's :up:

Paul Richardson 10 Jul 2011 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngJB (Post 547468)
Celine is kinda like Barry Manilow. Nice voice, but not qualified to sing a rock epic written by Jim Steinman.

Steinman songs almost require a character actor to sing them.

Couldn't agree more. I think Meat's versions of IACBTMN, LITD, and RAW kick the other versions' arse. Only Meat should be singing Steinman's songs - that's just the way it should be ... :roll:

duke knooby 10 Jul 2011 23:52

i liked celines as it was the first time i heard the song, thought meats was incredibly boring.. no power, no drama

Wario 11 Jul 2011 00:07

Maybe if meat dueted IACBTMN with Patti people would be singing a different tune. I sure would.

duke knooby 11 Jul 2011 00:13

you might be right, and i mean no disrespect to meat, marion or patti, but that version on the album was just pedestrian and it would make no difference to me who performed it if it was done as per the album version or even similar

tribrats 11 Jul 2011 01:47

For me, Celine's voice is not dissimilar to a cat's claws on a chalkboard.

Wario 11 Jul 2011 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 547495)
you might be right, and i mean no disrespect to meat, marion or patti, but that version on the album was just pedestrian and it would make no difference to me who performed it if it was done as per the album version or even similar

well yo usay there is really no power in meat's IACBTMN version, which is true. But with patti and chemistry the song may have sounded more powerful.

Bohemian 11 Jul 2011 05:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarioLoaf (Post 547494)
Maybe if meat dueted IACBTMN with Patti people would be singing a different tune. I sure would.

I don't think Patti would have improved it for me, I actually don't mind the sound of Marion's voice at all?

Does it put most people off? I think she's a good singer. More palatable than Jessica Hudson.

Sabine 11 Jul 2011 07:46

Meat Loaf and nothing else!

Sabine:D

robgomm 11 Jul 2011 18:12

Sorry guys, I didn't know there was another version of it to be honest. I wasn't even a Meat Loaf fan when Celine did it so I wouldn't know about Pandoras box.

Smithie 11 Jul 2011 20:26

I voted for Elaine Caswell's version. Celine and Marion's voices ruined the other versions for me.