mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The Rare Songs: 3. Heavy As Jesus (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558)

Garrett 16 Jan 2003 17:36

The Rare Songs: 3. Heavy As Jesus

Rare Songs: 3. Heavy As Jesus

This is the first song from the "Meat Loaf & Stoney" album, that was released in 1971. It's one of the most famous songs from this album and it's a typical piece of Gospel music. When I listen to this song, it seems to me that I'm sitting in an american church for black people. When I heard this song for the first time, I found that is an average song, but after a few times of listening, I can say it's really good and so it's one of the best songs on the album.

Score: 7/10

The Flying Mouse 16 Jan 2003 18:16

:twisted: I havn't heard this song yet :( .But I like the sound of the line Meat sings on the Storytellers c.d.
?/10 :lol:

White of High 16 Jan 2003 18:35

It is strange too. I think here almost everybody's first Meat song was I'd Do Anything For Love. After Bat Out Of Hell was difference. (I'd Love To Be) As Heavy As Jesus is same difference. If you listen it more you will find it good. Lie a song from Hair! Usually I don't like Hair and this kind of style, but I have to say it's good. One of the best, but not the best.

My score: 6

Tim 17 Jan 2003 00:10

Briljant song, with very funny lyrics. Indeed a bit Gospel like. The whole Stoney and Meat Loaf album is a must have!!!

8/10

Meatles 17 Jan 2003 01:36

I think it is one of the better cuts from "Stoney And Meat Loaf", the first time I heard this song I found it very good, now I think it is an excellent slice of Meat Loafs early years.

Even great for Gospel music fans

8/10

Garrett 17 Jan 2003 21:26

Here are the lyrics of this song:

I don't want to do nothing or say nothing that will ever, ever hurt nobody

And I don't want to get nothing for doing something till I give something to somebody

I just want to rise above, above that devil's glove and see God in every single man

I just want to spread joy like that little boy who once walked, walked this promised land

And I'd love to be as heavy as Jesus

I just gotta be someone, oh free someone
Lord he loves everybody

And I've just got to feel something, a real something deep down inside for somebody

I'll never satisfy, oh, this inner cry until I give my everything

Oh, and I will live my whole life through just helping you and you for the joy, for the joy that it will bring

Heavy as Jesus
Heavy as Jesus
Heavy as Jesus
Heavy as Jesus
Heavy as Jesus
Heavy as Jesus

Heavy as Jesus Christ
Heavy as Jesus Christ
Heavy as Jesus Christ

Jesus

Puritan 17 Jan 2003 23:31

With regards to the lyrics, according to Ralph Terrana it is "above that devil's glove" and not claw. I guess he should know as he wrote the song!!

Going back to the song itself I agree with most of the above comments that it is one of the best on the album. Why such a good track as this was not included on the re-release album I have no idea.

I'll give it 8/10

Anyone wanting to hear this song might like to know that this track is actually the only Stoney and Meat Loaf track to have ever been officially released on CD. It can be purchased here fairly cheaply:

http://www.towerrecords.com/product....1288362&cc=USD

Having heard the surprising news that the "Intergalactic Touring Band" LP with Meat Loaf's "Keeper Keep Us" is about to be released on CD I suppose there might still be a chance that the Stoney and Meat Loaf album itself might appear on CD one day - then again some would say I live in a dream world!!

Michel 18 Jan 2003 10:46

I don't know if the Stoney and Meat Loaf album will be released on CD. If it will be released on a CD, I will buy it.

This is a very funny song, but like most songs on this album, it's great to listen to.

My score: 7

The Flying Mouse 31 Jan 2003 05:02

:twisted: I recently heard this song for the first time.
I thought that the song would be a lot slower than it is,but the up beat tempo is not unpleasant :D .
In his autobiography,Meat compares Stoney to Aretha Franklin,and this song shows that comparison.
Historicaly,it's a very importaint song,because it's the song Meat sang for Jim Steinman at their first meeting.
As i've said before on these topics,I have real difficulty in comparing the Meat Loaf & Stoney songs to the rest of Meat's work.
7/10 Heavy.

White of High 29 Jan 2007 21:31

Average: 7.29 (51/7)