mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   106. Did You Ever Love Somebody? (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15916)

White of High 29 Sep 2010 15:54

106. Did You Ever Love Somebody?

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Did You Ever Love Somebody? (5)

Nothing special. Worse than better. Kill me if you want, but Jessica Simpson's version is better to me. But this song is just a boring ballad. Isn't it Diane Warren inspired stuff? :)

My score: 5

Evil One 29 Sep 2010 17:23

1 :bleh:

Steve6 29 Sep 2010 17:41

I'd give it 5.

It's not bad. Solid music and vocals, it sounds like a Coldplay song to me. ;)

meatfanforlife 29 Sep 2010 18:52

8. great song for when im in the mood for a meaty ballad

Wario 29 Sep 2010 19:16

Its really grown on me. A 7/10

AndrewG 29 Sep 2010 20:12

Shite; 2.

Sarge 29 Sep 2010 20:38

Just thinking of that song makes me feel sick. One of the tracks I can't listen to and always have to skip. Putting it right behind the amazing Song Of Madness is just mean. :down:

AndrewG 29 Sep 2010 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarge (Post 522686)
Putting it right behind the amazing Song Of Madness is just mean.

It's not mean, it's madness imo, literally and not in a funny way. :?

PanicLord 29 Sep 2010 21:56

7.5. A welcome relief after several full on in your face rockers. A nice pause for breath and relaxing slow ballad before the rocking starts again.

suzieq 29 Sep 2010 22:15

10+++ Placement right behind Madness is genius. I often play this song alone just because I want to hear it. I loath Jessica Simpson's version, in fact didn't know it existed until someone pointed it out on this forum. I'm sorry I discovered her version as it is audio hell for my ears. Meat's version is the definitive one for me as his delivery of the song is what makes the lyrics live for me.

The fact that this song is a personal reflection of something I went through is probably what makes me love it even more so. It is the shortest song on the album, but has a tremendous emo connection for me. Proof for me that longer isn't always better. I am thankful for this song. I know a lot of people here DO NOT like it and I respect that. But I felt compelled to at least explain why I hold such a high mark for this song.

stretch37 29 Sep 2010 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieq (Post 522702)
10+++ Placement right behind Madness is genius. I often play this song alone just because I want to hear it. I loath Jessica Simpson's version, in fact didn't know it existed until someone pointed it out on this forum. I'm sorry I discovered her version as it is audio hell for my ears. Meat's version is the definitive one for me as his delivery of the song is what makes the lyrics live for me.

The fact that this song is a personal reflection of something I went through is probably what makes me love it even more so. It is the shortest song on the album, but has a tremendous emo connection for me. Proof for me that longer isn't always better. I am thankful for this song. I know a lot of people here DO NOT like it and I respect that. But I felt compelled to at least explain why I hold such a high mark for this song.

I agree with you Suzie. I find myself, as i listen to Bat 3 and HCTB more and more, that I love almost all of the songs depending on my mood or what i'm dealing with.

This song at times makes me feel really emotional and his clear voice, at times rough and then beautifully controlled softness, gives me a shiver and is perfect at those times when this song really speaks to me. Even my little 15 year old brother was moved by this song, he made it his facebook status. I think Meat needs to continue to push HCTB to a younger demographic and do more shows! I think there are thousands of people who don't even know the album exists.

suzieq 29 Sep 2010 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch37 (Post 522703)
I agree with you Suzie. I find myself, as i listen to Bat 3 and HCTB more and more, that I love almost all of the songs depending on my mood or what i'm dealing with.

I CHSIB, Stretch37.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch37 (Post 522703)
This song at times makes me feel really emotional and his clear voice, at times rough and then beautifully controlled softness, gives me a shiver and is perfect at those times when this song really speaks to me.

I really want to gush about this song....but I'm afraid to send people on this site to the nearest trash receptacle to hurl into (if I haven't done so already).

I agree with what you said here.

And I have to add a bit of fantasy at the end, that doesn't relate to my past at all ...."Did you ever love somebody....Like, I love you." Can't help but feel Meat singing that to me. Ok snapping back into reality now. :D

Elijah's way 30 Sep 2010 01:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High (Post 522662)
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Did You Ever Love Somebody? (5)

Nothing special. Worse than better. Kill me if you want, but Jessica Simpson's version is better to me. But this song is just a boring ballad. Isn't it Diane Warren inspired stuff? :)

My score: 5

What??:shock: There is no way in hell that that no singing twit can do a song better than Meat!!!

The song gets a 10/10 from me it's one of the best songs on the album imo.:D This song is really personal for me I teared the first and second times I heard it.

Wario 30 Sep 2010 01:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High (Post 522662)
Kill me if you want, but Jessica Simpson's version is better to me.

I think that may be a little OTT even for people who hate the song :yep:

nikox1 30 Sep 2010 02:58

Mr. Happy 30 Sep 2010 14:16

I'll give it an 8 :D It's one of the better 'Warren-style' songs he's done :P

Lee B 30 Sep 2010 14:38

I'd give this a 7 - it's a strong ballad that breaks the album up nicely. And I think that putting it straight after madness on the album is a touch of genius. It's the perfect place for it...

glamourgirl 30 Sep 2010 19:31

Very nice vocals and a nice ballad.

6/10

CarylB 30 Sep 2010 21:18

A beautifully delivered song, Meat's voice so restrained, and perfectly placed in the album imo.

A clean and utterly poignant love song .. the simplicity of the arrangement and Meat's voice, deep, gentle and impassioned, gradually moving to a crescendo and finally dying away convey such a profound sense of loss. It is simply beautiful, its understatement just serving to emphasise its depth. Rings more true than any other I've heard, and wraps itself completely round my heart. Simple, gentle, minimal, Meat's right there singing softly into your ear .. To me one of the finest love songs he's ever recorded.

I have no interest in who recorded it before .. Meat makes it his own, makes it Patrick's perfect moment of loss, and imo it's stunning.

Gets a 10+++ from me also .. and gets repeated many times.

Caryl

PanicLord 30 Sep 2010 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicLord (Post 522696)
7.5. A welcome relief after several full on in your face rockers. A nice pause for breath and relaxing slow ballad before the rocking starts again.

Incidentally, I meant to say that I think Meat performs this song brilliantly, in terms of the emotions being conveyed by his voice. I'd like to boost my score to 8.

robgomm 30 Sep 2010 21:55

I'd give it a 7.5. It's nice and gentle and i like his voice throughout the song, Sometimes I think Meat sings better when he sings softly, it's just lovely to hear. It's a nice change of pace for the album as others have said, after you've been listening to all that hard rock before.

snider22 30 Sep 2010 22:25

I give it an 8

Was not crazy about the song when it first came out, but it has really grown on me. It is now my go to song when I. Just want relax and enjoy a bit more gentle Meat song

Wario 30 Sep 2010 22:25

I fell in love with this song mroe and more as teh day went on.

Its now an 8/10 for me :))

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...arioSmiley.gif

Elijah's way 01 Oct 2010 01:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 522923)
A beautifully delivered song, Meat's voice so restrained, and perfectly placed in the album imo.

A clean and utterly poignant love song .. the simplicity of the arrangement and Meat's voice, deep, gentle and impassioned, gradually moving to a crescendo and finally dying away convey such a profound sense of loss. It is simply beautiful, its understatement just serving to emphasise its depth. Rings more true than any other I've heard, and wraps itself completely round my heart. Simple, gentle, minimal, Meat's right there singing softly into your ear .. To me one of the finest love songs he's ever recorded.

I have no interest in who recorded it before .. Meat makes it his own, makes it Patrick's perfect moment of loss, and imo it's stunning.

Gets a 10+++ from me also .. and gets repeated many times.

Caryl

WOW!! you really have a way of describing a song!!!:lol: and I completely agree!!

daveake 01 Oct 2010 01:16

Snoozetastic. 1.