mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   12. Read 'em And Weep (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413)

White of High 13 Sep 2002 00:25

12. Read 'em And Weep

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic. Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Read 'em And Weep (8)

A very good song, a very good text. My favourite quotation is:

"I'd like to know why you faded and you threw it away
I'd like to give you all the reasons and what everything meant"

My soul says this music should be slower and painer (like Standing On The Outside). The lyrics is requiring it of this song...

My score: 8

Average: 8.96 (107.5/12)

Tim 13 Sep 2002 10:58

You say it's an 8? Well ofcourse you can have your own opinion.
But i've got a question. Do you also listen to other music, which you can compare Meat Loaf music by?

Cause then i think that you would rate some songs a little bit higher.

I would rate this song with a 9.5. Cause it's a realy beautifull song. Again strong words and beautifull music.

Michel 13 Sep 2002 22:09

A very good song

Typical Jim song. Simple intro, and great backing vocals on the track. It is sad that Meat only did this song once live.

I give it the same grade as normal: 8/9 (Why I don't give a ten, I explained it in another subject.)

White Of High, Sometimes you'll give an a very low grade, like 6. Do you think that other music is so bad, that it deserves lower grades, or don't you listen to some other music?

The Flying Mouse 14 Sep 2002 15:03

:twisted: Another Jim Steinman classic.
Lyrically,you can compare Read 'em And Weep to For Crying Out Loud.
As I said on that forum,F.C.O.L. lists all the ways the singer loves his girl.The last chorus of Read 'em And Weep lists all the conceqences of a break up. Jim can put into one song what most other song writers coudn't put into ten albums.
White Of High said that there needed to be more pain. 8O I think Meat translates this song perfectly.Not that you need to,but have you seen the video?I'm sure that the crew hammerd red hot nails into his kneecaps before filming because sometimes he looks in physical pain. :cry:
The only music I listen to anymore is Meat Loaf (not very good for an all round musical review I know,but i'm beyond caring :twisted: )but even by Meat's standards this song is still worth at least a.....
9/10 Listen And Weep

Anonymous 19 Sep 2002 15:40

Read 'Em And Weep is one of his very best songs. Lyrically it is unbelievably good. It's the ultimate 'Break-Up' song. How many other people have put this song on after falling out with a partner or something? It is a hugely underrated song. Definitelt top ten ever Meat Loaf songs. I can't describe how much I love this song.

And surely I'm not the only one who thinks he sings, "...and everything's w@nk..."? Cracking song!

Rob The Badger 20 Sep 2002 23:02

This song is absoloutly amazing. I agree that it should have a less rock oriented chorus however. The introduction is spot on musically and the lyrics are just tear-jerking. I have in fact used these lyrics to end a relationship once (how sad. lol) but it went down well.
I listen to lot's of other music. A regular pop music afficionado.

QT 09 Oct 2002 20:30

Absolutely GREAT!!
Amazing song, beautiful music and very very good lyrics.

My score for Read'em and Weep: 9,5!

Bart 14 Feb 2003 13:53

my favorite Jim Steinman lyric for years: "for allthose promises we promised to keep, they won't be kept anymore". Absolutely brilliant!!
I refuse to listen to the version of Barry -who the f... is he- Manilow!!

9,5/10

Quigmo 17 Sep 2003 12:35

This is the best of the bunch from Dead Ringer but I still think it needs a redo. Geez if Barry M could have a hit with it...
The voice only misses by a small amount but it still misses.
8/10

bambi 17 Sep 2003 17:02

i love this song makes me cry tho :!: :( :cry:

RSG 18 Nov 2003 02:44

I been listening to Dead Ringer a lot lately. And I just cannot skip this song, I don't even think about it. As for the video to this song you can see everything about this song. Its so amazing y'know, the music the words, it is quite possibly the best song on the record, truely a Steinman song, what would happen if Todd produced it and Jim was around. This record would have been what it is now, X 2.

The record itself 10\10
The song itself is 11\10. Simply the best!

ChrissybabezNI 21 Nov 2003 00:07

Read 'em and weep is such a beautiful song. I had a lot of trouble with the line 'Like when an actor makes an exit at the end of a play' till i found out the joys of Lyric sites lol.

I give this song 8/10

Loafy Meats 21 Nov 2003 14:32

I totally love this song. It's one of the best ML songs. I was watching the video last night. excellent...... 10/10

BadAttitude 22 Nov 2003 03:55

I love this song, to be honest with you I love most any song Meat sings.

I give this one a 9/10

Autumn (BadAttitude)

PanicLord 22 Nov 2003 15:56

I love this song - but it nearly always makes me to want to cry!!!

Dead Ringer is my favourite Meaty album, and this song is one of the best on it.

Meat puts an enormous amount of emotion into it, and I think that the fact that his voice is a little hoarse only helps to make it even more "real" emotionally. Watched the Hits Out Of Hell DVD of this the other day, so moving!

I always choke up at the end

Read' em and weep-
For all the hours we'll be spending alone
Read' em and weep-
For the dreams we'll ignore
Running silent and deep-
And all those promises we promised to keep, they won't be kept anymore

Beautiful, I'm welling up even now!!!

Anyway, I think you've guessed my score - 10!!!

nowherefast 04 Dec 2003 21:10

Very good. One of my favourites and definitely the best off Dead Ringer. Kind of too similar to Two Out Of Three to get a higher rating.
8.5/10

rockfenris2005 15 Dec 2003 09:12

The lines:

"If I could only find the words then I would write it all down
If I could only find a voice I would speak"

has the EXACT same melody as:

"It was a hot summer night and the beach was burning
There was fog crawling over the sand"

The video is quite interesting - Meat at the typewriter, looking like Orson Welles. I wonder what the movie version was like... (the one for the DEAD RINGER movie)

10/10

MLFAN17 23 Dec 2003 00:51

THIS IS ONE OF MY TOP FAVORITE SONGS OF HIS! :D

LostSoul 28 Dec 2003 03:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRex2003
Dead Ringer is my favourite Meaty album, and this song is one of the best on it.

I always choke up at the end

Read' em and weep-
For all the hours we'll be spending alone
Read' em and weep-
For the dreams we'll ignore
Running silent and deep-
And all those promises we promised to keep, they won't be kept anymore

I have to quote you once again TRex2003! :wink:
Love that one too, especially the end...

10/10

Rob The Badger 14 Feb 2004 21:37

Does anyone else not think that if the chorus was less rocky it would be the best song he's ever made?
It's just me it seems.

PanicLord 14 Feb 2004 22:56

LostSoul

I might have to start charging you royalties if you keep quoting me :)

RSG 14 Feb 2004 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob The Badger
Does anyone else not think that if the chorus was less rocky it would be the best song he's ever made?
It's just me it seems.

good point. i will lean on the YES side of that question. even though it is a great song. either way, imo

Bart 16 Feb 2004 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockfenris2005
The lines:

"If I could only find the words then I would write it all down
If I could only find a voice I would speak"

has the EXACT same melody as:

"It was a hot summer night and the beach was burning
There was fog crawling over the sand"

10/10

Wow. Never noticed this before. 8O . Its true! :lol:

LostSoul 16 Feb 2004 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRex2003
LostSoul

I might have to start charging you royalties if you keep quoting me :)

:lol: I'm not that good in maths, so I shall let you calculate it!

But it seems that both of us are in love with the album Dead Ringer and with Meat's vocals on it! ;)
If For Crying Out Loud didn't exist, I'm Gonna Love Her... would be my favorite song too!!!!!

Patricia
... :D

LostSoul 16 Feb 2004 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob The Badger
It's just me it seems.

If it was softer you mean? You got a very good ear Rob!
I have to admit that the music is a bit aggressive for the lyrics! but the whole Dead Ringer album sounds rocky...

Patricia