mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Messages (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   BAT Live the official Meat Loaf tribute UK dates (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20602)

ajf33 08 Jun 2022 00:03

BAT Live the official Meat Loaf tribute UK dates

The official Meat Loaf tribute, featuring members past and present of the Neverland Express, is coming to the UK in 2023.

https://myticket.co.uk/artists/BAT?f...-YbDo3P4FHyIVw

Lee B 10 Jun 2022 15:59

Booked! Day trip to Oxford on the cards. Thanks for sharing

Cherry.Loaf 10 Jun 2022 16:37

Booked for Oxford very excited

letsgotoofar 10 Jun 2022 17:36

As an American who understands why their typical set list works in the U.S., but also knows what is possible overseas, I hope they vary the set list for the UK a little bit. People know more of Meat's work there, they can get most, if not all, of Bat I from a Steve Steinman (or other) show just as easily. Give 'em a few deep cuts, they can handle it!

ajf33 10 Jun 2022 17:47

The pre ticket sale announcement says songs from Bat 1 (whole album) Bat 2 & Bat 3, Dead Ringer & The rocky Horror picture show. Whether thats it, or they'll add others remains to be seen.

Guess I'll find out at the O2!

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgotoofar (Post 625558)
As an American who understands why their typical set list works in the U.S., but also knows what is possible overseas, I hope they vary the set list for the UK a little bit. People know more of Meat's work there, they can get most, if not all, of Bat I from a Steve Steinman (or other) show just as easily. Give 'em a few deep cuts, they can handle it!

AndrewG 11 Jun 2022 22:10

Bought some tickets. Will see what it's like almost a year from now. I only have "very good tribute" level expectations. But that has never prevented me from enjoying these types of shows before.

Be sure to check out the box offices of the venues if you haven't got tickets yet, as it seems much clearer to see what you are getting and where you will sit in my opinion.

anotherday 12 Jun 2022 04:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 625563)
Bought some tickets. Will see what it's like almost a year from now. I only have "very good tribute" level expectations. But that has never prevented me from enjoying these types of shows before.

Be sure to check out the box offices of the venues if you haven't got tickets yet, as it seems much clearer to see what you are getting and where you will sit in my opinion.

Its a great time.
Seen the show 3 times.
Having most of the recent NLE there is a huge bonus.

Justin Bieber 15 Jun 2022 23:22

If only. Could they do the planned Braver tour that so nearly happened.

stretch37 16 Jun 2022 02:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Bieber (Post 625568)
If only. Could they do the planned Braver tour that so nearly happened.

I don't know if Meat would have wanted that or if it would be the right thing to do. He really was the one that needed to tour that record to get the meaning HE wanted to out of it. We'll never get that tour. Meat would want Caleb to find his own meaning in all of the songs and the fantasy, and Caleb appears to be doing just that, focusing on bringing that gut wrenching level of emotion to the stage. This is just all getting started. It's exciting to think where it could go! Who knows - maybe we will get some songs from Braver. I would love to hear some of them live.

What I'm deeply hoping for is a new record from Paul + Caleb & the NLE once they are ready. Then they can tour that, carry on the tradition of Meat Loaf such as Meat would have wanted. Who knows, things could just be getting warmed up. Caleb seems to be really getting into his role and I cannot wait for them to bring the tour to Victoria.

AndrewG 16 Jun 2022 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch37 (Post 625569)
What I'm deeply hoping for is a new record from Paul + Caleb & the NLE once they are ready. Then they can tour that, carry on the tradition of Meat Loaf such as Meat would have wanted. Who knows, things could just be getting warmed up. Caleb seems to be really getting into his role and I cannot wait for them to bring the tour to Victoria.

I really don't think there is much appetite for new material if they try to do that under the associated Meat Loaf mantra.

Queen didn't seem to have much success with that route, a vastly more popular band with even more popular frontmen (over Caleb) - at least in my estimation- who replaced Freddie.

90% of the audience come for Bat, Paradise, Heaven, Two out of Three, Took The Words, Anything for Love and in the UK especially Dead Ringer For Love. Some, beyond the die hard fans may know Modern Girl, Frying Pan, Objects and Rock N Roll Dreams. That's about it I would have thought.
If the band didn't play those and did their own stuff I wouldn't like to see the reactions.

Even Meat had quite muted success with his later stuff during the shows don't forget. I remember everyone sitting during the 4 HCTB songs on that UK tour.

I WOULD like to see the band tackle Braver and one or two lesser known Meat songs, but really this would just be a die hard fan nugget at those shows I reckon.
I'll Kill You if you don't come back, Surf's Up, Dance in My Pants. Sure, I'd love that.

I really wouldn't want original material, sorry.

stretch37 20 Jun 2022 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewG (Post 625571)
I really don't think there is much appetite for new material if they try to do that under the associated Meat Loaf mantra.

Queen didn't seem to have much success with that route, a vastly more popular band with even more popular frontmen (over Caleb) - at least in my estimation- who replaced Freddie.

90% of the audience come for Bat, Paradise, Heaven, Two out of Three, Took The Words, Anything for Love and in the UK especially Dead Ringer For Love. Some, beyond the die hard fans may know Modern Girl, Frying Pan, Objects and Rock N Roll Dreams. That's about it I would have thought.
If the band didn't play those and did their own stuff I wouldn't like to see the reactions.

Even Meat had quite muted success with his later stuff during the shows don't forget. I remember everyone sitting during the 4 HCTB songs on that UK tour.

I WOULD like to see the band tackle Braver and one or two lesser known Meat songs, but really this would just be a die hard fan nugget at those shows I reckon.
I'll Kill You if you don't come back, Surf's Up, Dance in My Pants. Sure, I'd love that.

I really wouldn't want original material, sorry.

To each's own I guess :cool:

stretch37 26 Oct 2022 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by stretch37 (Post 625569)

Apparently what I said wasn't as ridiculous as some may have thought!

https://www.dekoentertainment.com/po...n-january-2023

So stoked! And it's kind of perfect. Caleb + NLE releasing a new record, but not of new material. Just the familiar arrangements perfected by Meat, Paul, and the band over the last decades. YES!

letsgotoofar 26 Oct 2022 07:47

See, they say it's new recordings, but everything, including the listed lineup, suggests it's just a repackaging of the initial album from the website launch. Unless they recorded any non-Bat I tracks they left in the vault, I'll pass.

AndrewG 26 Oct 2022 14:41

I just don't see the point in the album, even more so when they rebranded the band as "Celebrating Meat Loaf", sorry.
Live they might sound good and hopefully they can entertain but why re-record these excellent songs?

Without Meat these studio songs just can't be Meat Loaf. So many people have recorded (some) of these songs over the years and the always permanent lack of interest from the buying public surely demonstrates it's just a waste of time, unless it's perhaps small scale, just for the fun of doing it such as the Rockman fan stuff years ago. And for Free!

It would make far more sense to sell an album with some of the live recorded songs and mostly sell that as merch at the shows, alongside the real Meat Loaf studio albums, which can never be topped regardless.

"We’re hoping this release introduces Meat and Jim to a whole new fan base"

Personally I find this attitude somewhat patronising; as if to say new fans can't come from old records. Most of the people here weren't even born when Bat out of Hell was released!

letsgotoofar 26 Oct 2022 20:36

As I said, the whole thing smacks of money for old rope. Despite Paul's assurances on social media to the contrary that these are new recordings, it's quite plainly the result of a rebranding as a memorial tribute rather than a "he's not well, so we're keeping the band employed and ready for him to drop in whenever" tribute, and that's fine for marketing purposes, but I'm not looking to buy the same re-recording of Bat I all over again.

jcmoorehead 27 Oct 2022 14:10

In a way, I can see why they're doing the album as a means to promote the act and get an idea into peoples heads of what it'll sound like should they go to see it. Personally I'd prefer them to just release a live album/soundboard than a studio deal but it doesn't really bother me too much, i've seen plenty of acts do "Tribute To" albums before, be it an ensemble or just one artist doing it and they can be really good and it's sometimes interesting to hear an alternative take.

On the other hand, there is a part of me that would also like to see the Celebrating Meat loaf project go beyond being a tribute, and I don't know the legalities and such behind all of this so this might be nothing more than a fans pipe dream, but I'd love to see it used to not only carry on these performances but also prevent things from the Meat Loaf vault, to celebrate that legacy a bit more, maybe use the social media space to promote the many of Meat Loafs past albums or songs.

Educate people on that history of music, you know have things on a Friday like "Oh, Bat Out Of Hell 1 and 2 are some of the biggest selling albums of all time, but did you know about this gem from the library" and post up Read Em And Weep, Surfs Up, Did I Say That or whatever else.

Or eventually build up to releasing unheard material/demos

AndrewG 28 Oct 2022 12:24

The NLE + Caleb studio version of Revved Up sounds "ok" but it's not a patch on Meat's original.
The glissandi sax solo around the 3 minute mark is clearly missing, the new one sounds much simpler. Exactly like you would have a "session player do some stuff" vs. someone that is really into the song and freaking plays his heart out.

I even miss the burning 70s guitar chords around the 1.10 minute mark, which is bizarre considering Paul I believe produced this. This shouldn't be too hard to get right. Where is the hi hat there also? The original feels more groovy and tight.

The original studio performers were clearly more accomplished and had better producers and that's not an insult at all. That is simply the harsh reality one is confronted with if you are going to try to redo this remarkable music.
They are great players on the new version, playing the instruments far better than I ever could. But if you are going to play Meat, expect to be challenged by fans like myself who are always going to compare it to exceptionally great studio versions we already have.

It just can't be redone to the point I'd ever prefer someone else's version is my conclusion.
Stick to live and record that, would be my recommendation.

nightinr 28 Oct 2022 18:08

Ticket sales for the UK tour appear to be dreadful. Charging around £40+ seems excessive for a tribute act

anotherday 28 Oct 2022 19:06

Has anyone compared the recordings yet? To the previously released BAT version?

anotherday 28 Oct 2022 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightinr (Post 625714)
Ticket sales for the UK tour appear to be dreadful. Charging around £40+ seems excessive for a tribute act

Oh? Did you find data or just browsing the dates ticket sites? I found our shows here didn’t sell well until a couple of months to a week before the shows.

letsgotoofar 28 Oct 2022 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 625715)
Has anyone compared the recordings yet? To the previously released BAT version?

Will compare the single of "All Revved Up" to the previously released version as soon as I get home from work today.

AndrewG 29 Oct 2022 01:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightinr (Post 625714)

Patti Russo charged £18 I remember with part of the Spike Edney's SAS band.
Fair enough that was 8 years ago but even that was a huge struggle for her except for the London show.

And I would say that was far less of a tribute act!

Sorry to keep rambling on about it, I don't mind what Paul Crook is doing at all with the band and good to see him trying over here in the UK, but the studio stuff I just find wrong, wrong, wrong! To do the entire of Bat in that manner is just ugh...

Hopefully ticket sales will pick up closer to the dates.

Not sure if cost of living is having an effect on shows next year but it wouldn't surprise me.

Having said that Steve Steinman seems to be doing exceptionally well at the moment!
I think many have heard his name drop more in the UK than the likes of Paul Crook or Caleb Johnson.

jcmoorehead 29 Oct 2022 11:01

I went to go see Steve Steinman earlier this year and it was a bloody great show. Really fun stuff and would def recommend it to anyone.

40 quid does seem a lot for a tribute, I know you are essentially getting Meats actual band plus a very talented singer but it is still a lot of money. That said, concert prices in general seem to be up at the moment and I think for some other bigger tributes, the likes of Australian Pink Floyd you might expect to pay that much.

letsgotoofar 29 Oct 2022 19:31

Having A/B'ed "All Revved Up" from the BAT tribute album and the current single, I can confirm that the mix is different, but that's all. The same recording, but just fiddled with a bit -- certain instruments are louder, and others are buried a little more (and, possibly, processing on the vocals across the board), but, by and large, it's the same thing, including the lack of a glissandi sax solo. Wait for the lot of them to come out on streaming, and you'll essentially get a better mix of something for which some of us already paid a small chunk of change back when the tribute began. The advantages are the mix is improved and streaming is free, I guess...

nightinr 29 Oct 2022 23:16

Anything above £20 seems ludricous for this tour