mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lost Boys and Golden Girls (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Tyce Green (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20054)

madagascar 24 Feb 2017 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wario (Post 620751)
last time i checked women can't get erections..... :shock:

...from you? :lol::lol::lol:

GDW 25 Feb 2017 07:52

Nipples!

Wario 25 Feb 2017 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 620753)
Safe Sex, Rebel Without A Clue and Ravishing are definitely women's songs.

Id say they are "People who are interested in Men" songs

letsgotoofar 25 Feb 2017 08:29

With minor changes of lyric from a different POV, maybe those songs could work for men. But that's a very big maybe.

Wario 25 Feb 2017 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgotoofar (Post 620760)
With minor changes of lyric from a different POV, maybe those songs could work for men. But that's a very big maybe.

you arent listening. its songs written for people interested in men, not just women.

letsgotoofar 26 Feb 2017 13:57

Yes, because every single person interested in men is a "gullible girl" ("Safe Sex") or has been "learning all the roles" "from Dirty Harry to Madonna" ("Rebel Without a Clue"). As a "person interested in men," trust me when I say, they're clearly written for women. It doesn't negate what Tyce is doing, nor is such a statement intended to. It's just facts. Some stuff that is explicitly written for and about women would need a real stretch to be sung by a "person interested in men," and some wouldn't, and there's nothing wrong with pointing it out.

proctorloaf 26 Feb 2017 15:45

*BOOH the Musical Spoilers in this post*

Jim constantly re-uses melodies for projects and re-writes lyrics. Songs are never set, they are remodelled over and over again. So songs can of course be remodelled for male or female performers. Most of the BOOH the musical numbers are duets in one way or another.

'No-one ever said I was a naive guy' would work for the opening line of Safe Sex and I don't think that you'd need to change any other lyric.

In all honestly I can't believe that Meat Loaf fans are talking about 'male' and 'female' songs. Meat always says that a singer just has to own a song. Meat often talks about how Total Eclipse of the Heart was meant to be on Midnight at the Lost and Found.

Heaven can wait was originally sung by Ellen Foley playing Wendy in Neverland. The demo is by Bette Midler. It's sung in the Musical by a female. Is Heaven Can Wait a 'girl's song'?

letsgotoofar 26 Feb 2017 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by proctorloaf (Post 620773)
'No-one ever said I was a naive guy' would work for the opening line of Safe Sex and I don't think that you'd need to change any other lyric.

To answer the first, doesn't quite scan does it, and to answer the second, "You're not such an innocent boy" comes to mind. :-P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it requires more emendation than, say, just letting a guy sing "Holding Out for a Hero" and letting it speak for itself.

Wario 26 Feb 2017 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgotoofar (Post 620771)
Yes, because every single person interested in men is a "gullible girl" ("Safe Sex") or has been "learning all the roles" "from Dirty Harry to Madonna" ("Rebel Without a Clue"). As a "person interested in men," trust me when I say, they're clearly written for women. It doesn't negate what Tyce is doing, nor is such a statement intended to. It's just facts. Some stuff that is explicitly written for and about women would need a real stretch to be sung by a "person interested in men," and some wouldn't, and there's nothing wrong with pointing it out.

obviously thatsc ause women are singing them if it was a guy those female things would be changed liked to "gullible girl". madonna can be considered a feminine guy term

ashkent7 26 Feb 2017 21:41

I can't help feeling like I've walked into Equality and Diversity PC Police 101.

Over the years there have been any number of things that have been wrong in terms of equality, but I don't believe every single thing should have to be for both a man or woman. There are songs that were written for men, songs written for women, and songs that have no gender about them (I count Heaven Can Wait as the latter). So to me there is nothing wrong in a song being a male or female only song.

If like Safe Sex you have to change words to make it right in context, then effectively the original song is still a song that was written for a woman with a new version that has been written for a man to sing. Two different songs for two different people.

If you want to look at a pop song that sums it up take a look at I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry. It's a song sung by a woman about kissing a woman. If you run through the lyrics though, that could easily be sung by a bisexual male. Some songs are written that way naturally without any shoehorning, others aren't in which case you are technically creating a new song to make it fit.

That's my simplistic view of it anyway.

letsgotoofar 27 Feb 2017 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wario (Post 620775)
obviously thatsc ause women are singing them if it was a guy those female things would be changed liked to "gullible girl". madonna can be considered a feminine guy term

My signature is the prime reason I don't really give a shit about anything you have to say on the subject. If you can't give it more than the level of thought that goes into "if it's from a person interested in men, that means I could sing it and no one could judge"...

anotherday 27 Feb 2017 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgotoofar (Post 620779)
My signature is the prime reason I don't really give a shit about anything you have to say on the subject. If you can't give it more than the level of thought that goes into "if it's from a person interested in men, that means I could sing it and no one could judge"...

Nice personal attack there, LGTF.

Wario 27 Feb 2017 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgotoofar (Post 620779)

AHAHAHAHA true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherday (Post 620781)
Nice personal attack there, LGTF.

its a (very good) jab. i got a kick outta it. never be afraid to get good ones in, we are all just avatars.

CarylB 27 Feb 2017 21:48

This .. and nothing simplistic about it .. just clear, uncomplicated and unambiguous ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkent7 (Post 620776)
If like Safe Sex you have to change words to make it right in context, then effectively the original song is still a song that was written for a woman with a new version that has been written for a man to sing. Two different songs for two different people.

eltmatt 28 Feb 2017 13:26

Haha as if anyone here is arguing over the ambiguity of Jim's songs, its very clear he swings both ways.

letsgotoofar 01 Mar 2017 00:18

Yeah, if both ways point in the direction of men... he's never come right out and said it, but his Facebook likes (and the constant emphasis on scantily clad males in his music videos) tell the whole story. (Not that it matters; as I said elsewhere in the thread, I'm a man into men.)

eltmatt 02 Mar 2017 16:01

exactly and *BAT MUSICAL SPOILER*

One of the main plots in the musical is Tink being in love with Strat.

mindnick1 03 Mar 2017 00:27

ok great, so now thats solved....

Anyone on the east coast want a comp for the Tyce show? March 9th in NYC?

NJM

proctorloaf 10 Mar 2017 09:55

LOVE the album. In particular what's been done with I'll Kill You if you don't come back - and the piano on the acoustic tracks is sublime but guys WHERE THE F ARE THE BACKGROUND VOCALS???

(And you should really have got Ellen Foley, or anyone else: Aaron Tviet, to do the duet bit in Anything for love')

All in all GOOD JOB tho :)

eltmatt 10 Mar 2017 15:23

When will it be on Spotify? :p

MarkS 10 Mar 2017 16:19

I think Tyce may now have the definitive version of Holding out for a Hero, very rocking version

loaferman61 10 Mar 2017 16:49

Is it available digitally? I don't do itunes, but use the other services.

proctorloaf 10 Mar 2017 18:52

I've been listening to this all day. It's all coming back to me now OMG what emotion. I've been in tears doing Arts Marketing, all day. Ha!

I LOVE that we now have an album which contains Hero, Total Eclipse and It's all coming back to me now. They are the back bone of the album for me. They are sisters, they belong together and now they're home.

nightinr 10 Mar 2017 19:05

When is this out in the Uk? Can't see it in UK Amazon?

Evil One 10 Mar 2017 20:08

I think it's bland. It doesn't kick me in the bollocks. :shrug: