PDA

View Full Version : hmv

greg
11 Jan 2007, 13:55
went into hmv . yesterday in lincoln , to have a look at the bat 2 collectors cd , went to the counter to ask the girl serving , if you have the cd in , she replied MEAT WHO . i said to her you know a lot about music , her reply oh yea , im up with all the tunes , told her , if your up with tunes than im father christmass . :shock: look on her face , and left to go about my day;)

MeatGrl1
12 Jan 2007, 00:31
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She needs to go and study!

I had a similar experience with HMV when I went to the guy;

"Can you get Meat Loaf's Blind Before I Stop album?"

So he goes and looks on the computer and then comes back and then asks;

"Are you sure that's the name of the album?!?"

At this point I am feeling like a total fool for even asking and retort that it is and to nevermind and walked out.
Another incident was when I was desperate to get my mits on Roadie, when I asked they looked at me as if I had spurted another arm and head.. Again I left feeling like a total fool and idiot!

HMV ARE CRAP!

Paul191
12 Jan 2007, 01:06
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I am feeling like a total fool for even asking and retort that it is and to nevermind and walked out.

That's not an incident!! That's just you being totally misunderstanding and rude. The guy in the shop may have just misheard you or something...... Can't blame him for that considering he has to put up with moaning customers everyday anyway.

Pudding
12 Jan 2007, 11:04
I'm guessing Blind Before I Stop has been out of print for many years, and when it wasn't not many units of it were sold. So it not being on a database is no real big surprise.

Pud :twisted:

Monstro
12 Jan 2007, 11:11
HMV are not alone, the week before Bat3 was released I went into Virgin to ask which of the formats they would be stocking, staff member I saw hadn't heard of Meat Loaf either (though probably not a required bit of knowledge on an application form) and their computer system didn't even register that the album was due out - the advice I was given.......if it's not on the system it won't be out for some time, come back in a month or so. I went to good old Woolworths who had all the info I needed within seconds!!!!

greg
12 Jan 2007, 12:39
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She needs to go and study!

I had a similar experience with HMV when I went to the guy;

Another incident was when I was desperate to get my mits on Roadie, when I asked they looked at me as if I had spurted another arm and head.. Again I left feeling like a total fool and idiot!

HMV ARE CRAP! there the fool and idoit meatgirl1 :oops:

geordieloaf
12 Jan 2007, 12:44
I just think you can't expect younger people to know who he is. Yes i am surprised that they have never even heard of Meat Loaf but if someone asked me about a modern dance act my eye's would just glaze over. :shock: It's not there fault they have no class when it comes to music choice. :-)

greg
12 Jan 2007, 13:02
fair point

Lord Kagan
12 Jan 2007, 19:47
I got all his albums from HMV in Belfast so not as bad here.

lorenzoduke
13 Jan 2007, 06:33
HMV is undertaking a new policy of only employing 16 year old EMO kids. You can tell by their caray-zee haircuts and the H.I.M. sweatbands that they wear to cover their slit wrists.

DIZZY DRUMMER
13 Jan 2007, 09:11
I just think you can't expect younger people to know who he is. Yes i am surprised that they have never even heard of Meat Loaf but if someone asked me about a modern dance act my eye's would just glaze over. :shock: It's not there fault they have no class when it comes to music choice. :-)

Good comment - my daughter listens/watches the music channels & she gets fed up with me saying "Who's That" "They're Crap" They're Good"

So yes - you ain't going to know everyone in the music business.

Although a spell in the stockrooms for these assistants might help them :lol:

Pudding
13 Jan 2007, 12:17
Seems the record stores are damned if they do and damned if they don't :(

allrevvedup
13 Jan 2007, 14:22
As someone who has worked behind a counter before believe me the worst thing is someone coming in with an arrogance or superiority complex and deal with you like you're below them.

As for people not having heard of Meat Loaf, most of music shop worked are around 17 or 18 and so would've been young at the time of Bat Out Of Hell II's release.

Mick Loaf
13 Jan 2007, 15:38

As a teacher, I feel it is my duty to teach the children in my care all about Meat Loaf. They here about new albums, me going to concerts and tribute acts and I sometimes play 2 out of 3 on guitar when they are working. So in Livingston there should soon be a slight increase in the youngsters working in HMV who've heard of Meat Loaf. My work here is done.

I've said it before, who needs maths and english when you can listen to Meat Loaf!?!:lol: :-P

lorenzoduke
13 Jan 2007, 17:00
My problem with HMV employees is that I have received largely poor service from them. That's about it. When I come in to pick someting up on my lunch break, there's no queue and I still have to stand there like a dick when you're talking to your mates behind the counter for 5 minutes, that pisses me off.

And as for not having heard of Meat Loaf - wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where people who worked in record stores were knowledgeable about music? But it's not going to happen.

greg
13 Jan 2007, 19:11
hey but wat got me in hmv , was still up 2 big posters of meat loaf bat out of hell , hanging up above the counter , as i asked her

Jeanie
13 Jan 2007, 19:52
hey but wat got me in hmv , was still up 2 big posters of meat loaf bat out of hell , hanging up above the counter , as i asked her

Now that.. is annoying , yet funny at the sametime, Greg. I hope you pointed the "posters" out to her, and said "that's Meat Loaf".

J.

lorenzoduke
14 Jan 2007, 02:00

Says it all really.

Pudding
15 Jan 2007, 03:40
And as for not having heard of Meat Loaf - wouldn't it be nice if we lived in a world where people who worked in record stores were knowledgeable about music? But it's not going to happen.

Record store employees are there to provide a service of selling you the records you ask for, they're not encyclopedia's of every act to ever have graced the planet.

lorenzoduke
15 Jan 2007, 12:16
Record store employees are there to provide a service of selling you the records you ask for, they're not encyclopedia's of every act to ever have graced the planet.

Thanks for that Pud, I didn't know. How lucky I am to have you inform me of that.

PC shop employees are expected to know about computers. Car salesmen are expected to know about cars. I was speaking hypothetically, but apparently that wasn't made clear by my beginning the sentence 'Wouldn't it be nice if...' How misguided of me. I can only throw myself down at the altar of your pity and beg for your forgiveness.

Pudding
17 Jan 2007, 11:53
Thanks for that Pud, I didn't know. How lucky I am to have you inform me of that.

You're welcome :up: We all need a guiding hand or a gentle boot now and again :mrgreen: