PDA

View Full Version : Royal Variety Performance

Loafy Meats
12 Dec 2006, 12:16
Just a reminder - I read in the tv listings that Meat Loaf is on BBC1 tonight for the Royal Variety show.

firefly
12 Dec 2006, 12:42
Thank's for the reminder!

Ankie
12 Dec 2006, 12:51
Thanks; especially since it one of the few English tv channels we can see on dutch cable ;)

JanT
12 Dec 2006, 15:02
Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten all about it. :oops:

AndrewG
12 Dec 2006, 21:24
Jeez, this king arthur musical bit that is on now, is perhaps the worst musical show I have ever seen on any television station on this planet.

lorenzoduke
12 Dec 2006, 21:30
Jeez, this king arthur musical bit that is on now, is perhaps the worst musical show I have ever seen on any television station on this planet.

I agree...but at least they've redeemed themselves with three tap dancing Billy Elliot's....:roll: :evil: :evil:

AndyK
12 Dec 2006, 21:34
Songs from the West End musicals taken out of context, more often than not sound far worse then they do in the shoiw, and couple that with eh Python style humour of the lyrics and I guess you either loved it or hated it.

LucyK!
12 Dec 2006, 22:40
Well!!!

BAAB...fabulous, loved it, everything about it, just mega. Dead Ringer....a lot better than I expected, well done to Jamelia, although I'm now sat missing Patti even more.

Overall, f*****g mega!

AndrewG
12 Dec 2006, 22:41
Yeah gotta hand it to the man, quite a good performance.
Jamelia was pretty damn good on Dead Ringer I thought.

Sapphire Lady
12 Dec 2006, 22:44
Thought Meat's lip synching to BAAB was perfect and the ad lib bits at the end were very clever - made the whole thing appear to be live, although we know it wasn't.

Loved Dead Ringer too. The other acts were really dreadful. Now that Meat's been on I don't need to suffer it anymore :mrgreen:

Monstro
12 Dec 2006, 22:44
Nice one Meat, great performance!!!!! And now I know who Jamelia is as well.

The best thing about The Royal Variety Performance is that they always showcase new and upcoming comedy acts and every now and again one makes me laugh and tonight was no exception, laugh??? I nearly died!!!!!!! It was a touch of sheer comedy GENIUS to put a microphone in Katie Price's hand and tell her to sing, a good job I taped Meat as he was half way through BAAB before I could see straight!!!!!!

MeatGrl1
12 Dec 2006, 22:49
I taped it too:))!

Meat, if you read this you did a fantastic job!
I loved every minute of it, it's ashame Jamellia fluffed up on one of the lines.
But BAAB was amazing!

:heart:

LucyK!
12 Dec 2006, 22:50
And if I'm not mistaken...let's hear it for Meat Loaf who is the only performer so far not to bow for the Royals LOL!!!

B44
12 Dec 2006, 22:51
Meat did a cool job lip synching to BAAB, would've been nicer hearing the actual band though, especially for Dead Ringer. They went very out of time for about 3 lines at one stage, Jamelia had to pull them back into it. I wouldn't blame Meat though, his band play it much better live, slowing down at certain lines that he had to rush through tonight

Cool seein him on tv again!

SamCat
12 Dec 2006, 22:53
Great perfomance Loved BAAB Meat should be on at the end again for the national anthem and the line up!!

Mick Loaf
12 Dec 2006, 22:55
I loved BAAB and thought Dead Ringer was good. Great to see him
on telly.

Pudding
12 Dec 2006, 22:56
I taped it too:))!

Meat, if you read this you did a fantastic job!
I loved every minute of it, it's ashame Jamellia fluffed up on one of the lines.
But BAAB was amazing!

Can you please quit bitching about every performer Meat sings with, you did the same with Katharine McPhee, give it a rest already. Jamelia just had surgery a couple of days prior, I think she did OK considering.

Besides, didn't Meat fluff his line first which might have caused Jamelia to fluff hers?

Pud :twisted:

MeatGrl1
12 Dec 2006, 22:56
And if I'm not mistaken...let's hear it for Meat Loaf who is the only performer so far not to bow for the Royals LOL!!!

:lmao:!!!

I didn't notice that!!!

:lmao:!

Go Meat:)) !

geordieloaf
12 Dec 2006, 22:58
I thought BAAB was excellent my wife thought he was singing it live. I thought Jamelia gave it a good shot and between them gave a good performance.
Really good overall performance top class. :D

Chris
12 Dec 2006, 23:00
I thought that was rather a good performance!

As an American he doesn't have to.

Keab42
12 Dec 2006, 23:00
Video file is now compressing for all those who missed it. unfortunately i missed the truly eloquent introduction by Peter Andre and Jordan.

really enjoyed BAAB, don't go much on jamelia or whatever her name was.

could have sworn at least the last part of BAAB was live.

L_Loaf
12 Dec 2006, 23:01
:lmao:!!!

I didn't notice that!!!

:lmao:!

Go Meat:)) !

haha.

I noticed that
I was shouting at the telly.
'MEAT BOW, CMON BOW'
haha.
but Charles wont mind.
maybe thats what they were laughing at in the picture.

LucyK!
12 Dec 2006, 23:02
Thank Christ you missed Peter and Jordan, not only are they a bloody nightmare but it was hideously out of tune!

Ageing Bat
12 Dec 2006, 23:03
I did enjoy Blind as a Bat, but then I would as it's one of my favourites! Dead Ringer was good too. Shame the band couldn't perform too..... it would all have been so much more dramatic, but that's the way it goes sometimes!

B44
12 Dec 2006, 23:11
could have sworn at least the last part of BAAB was live.

It was, Meat said on this forum that he'd be doing the ad-libbing at the end live

meatloaf-unofficial
12 Dec 2006, 23:15
my opinion - it was bloody amazing :-)

Blind As A Bat was so cool and I think could not really tell he was miming, untill the voice over towards the end of the song but I can cleary see he enjoyed it.

Dead Ringer was great but I thought the backing was not a good as if the band were playing but it made a great viewing.

Once last thing - James Morrison is it? He had a band, why could Meat not have his? Just a thought! :-)

Overall I think Meat enjoyed singing the two songs and I really did enjoy seeing him live again :-)

Paul191
12 Dec 2006, 23:20
Bravo Meat!

Great job........... Loved both songs and thought Jamelia did fantasticly well!

Feleena
12 Dec 2006, 23:28
God bless ya Meat it was fantastic! Blind as a bat rocked!

Love the velvet coat made my day!

Feleena xx

DazLoaf01
12 Dec 2006, 23:38
I thought it was a pretty good performance! In fact, I thought the arrangement of BAAB was better then the album version... there were tougher guitars and the piano in the middle break was more expressive. DRFL was good, though the backing band wern't so good here (sounded a bit thin compared to BAAB), and there was a slight timing error - which was resolved nicely enough :-)

mikeloaf
12 Dec 2006, 23:54
Meat looks much better with shorter hair and no fascial hair. BAAB was too short to get the full power of the song out to the audience and great until he actually began 'singing'.

Dead Ringer, the female vocalist got the words wrong several times :? and Meats vocals were not that good. This wasn't a good performance and I doubt it will do much for Meat :( .

That said I don't think many performers put 'everything' into these kind of shows, so I don't worry too much. At least Meat did some live singing:cool: .

daveake
13 Dec 2006, 00:05
Dead Ringer, the female vocalist got the words wrong several times :?

Don't you think you're being a bit disingenuous here?

Meat messed up first. I don't really care about that - everyone makes mistakes - but Meat messed up his line and then Jamelia messed up hers. Her mistake was a bit more obvious but it should be clear to anyone what the cause was.

People seem to be very keen on complaining about Meat's partners; a little balance is well overdue.

Dave

Keab42
13 Dec 2006, 00:13
here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I15DCHhptg

lorenzoduke
13 Dec 2006, 00:26
Yes, good on him!

Jamelia sang great. The ****-up seemed pretty mutual, but I don't think it spoiled anything. Out of all the current English pop/r&b singers, she's one of the best.

MeatGrl1
13 Dec 2006, 00:27

AWESOME !!

THANKS

:up:

Taped it:))

mikeloaf
13 Dec 2006, 00:37
The trouble is that the RVP is broadcast to millions and 'messing up' might be noticed by one or two people, not just me!

Vickip
13 Dec 2006, 00:41
here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I15DCHhptg

Thank you very much :))
Vicki

AndrewG
13 Dec 2006, 00:51
Singing a beat or two out for a couple of bars happens sometimes. Meat corrected it by repeating "do". I think not that many people will notice it as it's a pretty fast song with a lot of words. And although I did notice it I don't think the performance suffered much because of it at all. I thought it was good and I liked the dancers etc. Much better than I expected. And teaming up with Jamelia was the right thing to do I think.

Thanks for making the video available on youtube keab. :D

lorenzoduke
13 Dec 2006, 01:11
Exactly, and let's not forget, Meat Loaf has been singing this song for 25 years. Jamelia's probably had about a week.

Benny
13 Dec 2006, 01:12
Great performance, really enjoyed it :cheer:

SW31
13 Dec 2006, 01:26
baab was fantastic but i'm making no judgment on drfl

ChloeLee88
13 Dec 2006, 01:47
Cool performance loved it...as for the slight blip in the middle...so what...wasnt even that noticible...i thought it was fantastic, really refreshing to hear him singing with a young artist too, and has anybody commented on the stage yet.,...how awesome was that!
Love BAAB :D
Chloe

The Flying Mouse
13 Dec 2006, 02:17
:twisted: Blind As A Bat was AWESOME.
OK, not that hard seeing it was mimed, but it was mimed WELL.

Meat had already said on this forum that Blind was mimed, but there were times you found yourself wondering if you remembered right about Meat saying that :wtf:
The improv was great, and helped cover up the mime very well.

DEad Ringer on the other hand.

OUCH :doh:

OK, Meat started off the song, and I was waiting for Jamilia to give it a shot.

It hurt.

OK.

The first line she sang caused physical pain.

It was not how Dead Ringer is suposed to sound to me.

She was awful.

I turned around and walked up the room away from the telly like i'd been punched by the boxing heavyweight of the world.

I comes back down, heard her hit one more freaky note that don't belong, and walked out of the room.

Sorry, just couldn't take any more of what she was doing to the song.

On the + sign, Jamelia IS a young popular performer with a big audience, so maybe she was responsable for Meat getting to do two songs on the show, but as for sound, she was terrible

Diane
13 Dec 2006, 02:26
Naturally I missed the band but that was an excellent performance from Meat. He did himself and his fans proud! Kudos to Jamelia as well. She did an excellent job and so soon after surgery. :D

Diane

Jeanie
13 Dec 2006, 06:08
:twisted: Blind As A Bat was AWESOME.
OK, not that hard seeing it was mimed, but it was mimed WELL.

Meat had already said on this forum that Blind was mimed, but there were times you found yourself wondering if you remembered right about Meat saying that :wtf:
The improv was great, and helped cover up the mime very well.

DEad Ringer on the other hand.

OUCH :doh:

OK, Meat started off the song, and I was waiting for Jamilia to give it a shot.

It hurt.

OK.

The first line she sang caused physical pain.

It was not how Dead Ringer is suposed to sound to me.

She was awful.

I turned around and walked up the room away from the telly like i'd been punched by the boxing heavyweight of the world.

I comes back down, heard her hit one more freaky note that don't belong, and walked out of the room.

Sorry, just couldn't take any more of what she was doing to the song.

On the + sign, Jamelia IS a young popular performer with a big audience, so maybe she was responsable for Meat getting to do two songs on the show, but as for sound, she was terrible

I agree with you FM, I thought Meat was GREAT!! :)) Although, Jamelia.. just didn't like her voice or singing on DRFL.

J.

Leah
13 Dec 2006, 08:29
I really enjoyed the performance, I turned my telly right up! I think Meat did a great job and I doubt that the 'joe public' would have been able to pick up on the little mistake in Dead Ringer, I think it went really well and that kind of thing can happen when playing live.
Well Done Meat and Jamelia!:D :D :D

Loafy Meats
13 Dec 2006, 10:59
just had to say Meat was awesome last night - he was the highlight of the first half. I thought jamelia was good - It's really difficult with timing etc when you haven't worked with someone very long.

SamCat
13 Dec 2006, 11:36
And Meat did his special sexy dance on the bar in DR I love that dance!!

AndyK
13 Dec 2006, 11:41
I thoroughly enjoyed both songs.

Meat was great and Jamelia was really good con: Singing a song that is just not her style or genre of music, in a range that isn't her natural range (based on what I have heard of her sing elsewhere) and also she's just recovered from a fairly major operation that would affect how she can sing. So taking all that into account it was a fantastic performance all round.

Hypnobabe
13 Dec 2006, 11:59
Best part of the night? Flicking over to the program about the British Comedy Awards after the RVP was over and catching a glimpse of a long haired Meat, looking slightly bemused by Michael Barrymore's antics - I assume he was presenting the award Barrymore won...?

robgomm
13 Dec 2006, 13:05
I thought it was a pretty poor lineup for such a big show, if Meat hadn't been on I wouldn't have bothered watching.

I thought Meat did a great job, but I hated them cutting down BAAB to just over four minutes, worst thing is I bet that's going to be the radio edit when it comes out, I do hope not, I felt the song lost something with the bits cut out.

I think the RVP really should be revamped, they should have fewer acts on so that people have more time, and so they don't have to share each others dressing rooms! The only other thing i enjoyed on it (I didn't watch the second half), was Take That.

ChrisBelfast
13 Dec 2006, 18:38
I thought it was a pretty poor lineup for such a big show, if Meat hadn't been on I wouldn't have bothered watching.

I thought Meat did a great job, but I hated them cutting down BAAB to just over four minutes, worst thing is I bet that's going to be the radio edit when it comes out, I do hope not, I felt the song lost something with the bits cut out.

I think the RVP really should be revamped, they should have fewer acts on so that people have more time, and so they don't have to share each others dressing rooms! The only other thing i enjoyed on it (I didn't watch the second half), was Take That.

People were talking about the RVP in my work today who aren't Meat Loaf fans and aren't even familiar with his work, and said he was the best one there and how good a show he put on. They felt Manilow was awful and Rod Stewart wasn't at his best. Its nice to see what other people thought of the show and not just fans.

Diane
13 Dec 2006, 19:26
I've had exactly the same reaction here Chris. I've had several phone calls today from family and friends asking if I'd seen the RVP ... as if! :lol: Non of them are Meat fans but they all said how much they enjoyed his segment on the show and what a powerful performance it was. (I think I've just solved a few more Christmas pressies!) I've even been asked if he's going to be on any other TV shows. It's the kind of reaction that makes my day. It's all good! :mrgreen:

Diane

gilly
13 Dec 2006, 19:33
I've had exactly the same reaction here Chris. I've had several phone calls today from family and friends asking if I'd seen the RVP ... as if! :lol: Non of them are Meat fans but they all said how much they enjoyed his segment on the show and what a powerful performance it was. (I think I've just solved a few more Christmas pressies!) I've even been asked if he's going to be on any other TV shows. It's the kind of reaction that makes my day. It's all good! :mrgreen:

Diane
Sadly the opposite I have had all day! I dearly wish I could say otherwise.:| There is another thread running on this where I have said my bit, before anyone has a go at me can they read some of the constructive criticism (in our opinions) on that thread.

allrevvedup
13 Dec 2006, 19:34
Can we merge the Meat Loaf to perform at The Royal Variety Show!! thread with this one?

As there has been some constructive criticism of last night on the other thread

Meataholic
14 Dec 2006, 15:56

Diane

I've had the same experience over the last two days Diane:D