PDA

View Full Version : Would things be different if...?

mcquaidbros
10 Dec 2006, 19:01
I've been thinking lately and ever since I heard the story about both IACBTMN and AFL being written around the same time before Bat 2. Here's my question.

Would things have happened differently for Meat if IACBTMN was put on Bat 2 and AFL on Bat 3? Would there have been a Grammy? a number 1 album? and a little OT: would Celine be as popular?

LucyK!
10 Dec 2006, 19:03
In my humble opinion....

Assuming things were done exactly the same - AFL recorded with the 1993 NLE, and IACBTMN recorded with the present NLE with Marion - I don't think Meat would be where he is today.

To make a "comeback" Meat needed to make one hell of an impact on the world which I just don't think he could have done with IACBTMN - those guys definately made the right choice doing AFL in 1993

Monstro
10 Dec 2006, 20:04
To make a "comeback" Meat needed to make one hell of an impact on the world which I just don't think he could have done with IACBTMN - those guys definately made the right choice doing AFL in 1993

Spot on!!!! I know a load of people who only own one Meat album and it's Bat 2.

LucyK!
10 Dec 2006, 20:06
Absolutely, I have lots of friends who aren't Meat fans but they all know AFL, I can't imagine that 13 years later they would still be singing IACBTMN if they'd gone with that one

mcquaidbros
10 Dec 2006, 20:19
I do believe things would be different. I wonder who made the final decision on which song, because whoever it was...wow!

Monstro
10 Dec 2006, 20:23
They earn't their wages that day...On a slight tangent, because Meat didn't do IACBTMN Celine did it...............who would have released AFL???? Kylie and Jason???

Monstro
10 Dec 2006, 20:24
Actually that doesn't bear thinking about!!!!!!!!

LucyK!
10 Dec 2006, 20:25
LOL How long before the Peter Andre and Katie Price cover version?! :))

Monstro
10 Dec 2006, 20:27
Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton????

AndyK
10 Dec 2006, 20:30
Im not being moderatorly (is that a word?) here or anything, but, can we please get back on topic, the thought of either of those two covering the classic that is AFL is sending my back into spasms! :yikes:

LucyK!
10 Dec 2006, 20:31
It'd be bloody awful but I absolutely love Kenny Rogers so I'd probably enjoy it!!!!

mcquaidbros
10 Dec 2006, 20:43
It's a scary thought, about someone else recording AFL.

LucyK!
10 Dec 2006, 20:47
other people could have done it (obviously!) but I don't know that anyone could have put into it what Meat did, though you could accuse me of giving a biased opinion

Blackkat13
11 Dec 2006, 05:27
In my humble opinion....

Assuming things were done exactly the same - AFL recorded with the 1993 NLE, and IACBTMN recorded with the present NLE with Marion - I don't think Meat would be where he is today.

I Agree

geordieloaf
11 Dec 2006, 07:34
I always thought the video had alot to do with the popularity of AFL. It was and still is one of the best music video's ever made. Of course the fact it was a great song aswell helped.
I honestly don't think that IACBTMN is in the same league and would'nt have appealed to so many non meat fans. As for Celine she already had hits and she would have still released my heart will go on and on and on and on, which was her biggest hit.
So yes i think things would have turned out differently for Meat and i thank god it happened the way it did. :-)

Blackkat13
11 Dec 2006, 07:42
Yeah Still love AFL video...so far one of ml best same with i'd lie 4 you

Pudding
11 Dec 2006, 10:12
Would things have happened differently for Meat if IACBTMN was put on Bat 2 and AFL on Bat 3? Would there have been a Grammy? a number 1 album? and a little OT: would Celine be as popular?

Of course things would have been different, how different no one knows. And Celine was already extremely popular prior to IACBTMN.

Pud :twisted:

djfierce
11 Dec 2006, 10:31
Of course things would have been different, how different no one knows. And Celine was already extremely popular prior to IACBTMN.

Pud :twisted:

I might be wrong but i seem to be under the impression that 'Think Twice' was her first big hit over here.
At time her version of iacbtm was good and very likeable.
i'm not so sure that doing iacbtm instead of afl for bat2 would've spelled doom for Meat's career but i don't think iacbtm would have had the same impact.
I was 13yrs old when bat 2 was released and starting to listen to my meat tapes less in favour of the popular stuff at the time, saw Meat on (i think) Live and Kicking promoting afl, absolutely fell in love with it (though the true meaning of the lyrics wouldn't hit me till a few years later ;)) So i guess Meat doing afl saved me from following the crowd in the record shops to buy Take That ;)
Not sure i could say the same would've happened if it was iacbtm instead :?
I love the song now but i don't think i would've understood it enough to fully appreciate it back then, just a thought

Sorry, i rambled a bit there :oops:

needmoremeat
11 Dec 2006, 11:20
I first heard IACB only three or four years ago when someone did Celine Dion on Stars in their Eyes. Didn't know Steinman wrote it at the time, it was much later when I learned that, but I really liked the song. However, I was six when I first heard AFL, and I think that song had a bigger impact on me at that age than IACB would have.

Ma.Ra
24 Dec 2006, 15:46
I try to imagine if "surfs up" would have been the 1. single for bat3. IMHO it has a very good rythm, good lyrics (but I still dont know the meaning of "surfs up", it is a phrasal verb?).

IMHO a radio edit works good with that song.

gilly
24 Dec 2006, 18:53
LOL How long before the Peter Andre and Katie Price cover version?! :))

Please God no, no, no never let Katie Price open her mouth to sing ever again. I have heard cats more in tune. Let her carry on with her day job, making money with absolutely no talent (I suspect some of you fellas will be now informing me of her assets!!!) Happy Christmas y'all:lol:

Monstro
27 Dec 2006, 04:06
I'm a fella and for the life of me just can't see what Peter sees in her

geordieloaf
27 Dec 2006, 12:05
I'm a fella and for the life of me just can't see what Peter sees in her
I can see two pretty big reason's. :lol: