PDA

View Full Version : 10 million can't be wrong.

Chris
06 Apr 2006, 13:43
Next wednesday (April 12th) BBC radio 2 launch a new series looking at albums that have sold more than 10 million copies. The opening programme is all about Bat and features interviews with meat and others associated with the album.

It can be listened to online live at Radio 2 website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2) or for one week afterwards.

Boradcast at 10pm (british summer time) on Wednesday 12th April.

Benny
06 Apr 2006, 14:15
Cool, looking forward to that :D :D :D

AndrewG
06 Apr 2006, 15:12
When will they do Bat 2 and Bat 3? ;-)

rockfenris2005
06 Apr 2006, 15:13
Bat III:
Hopefully when it's a cold day in hell

Caelan
06 Apr 2006, 15:17
Bat III:
Hopefully when it's a cold day in hell

Nice Bat title too...;)

BAT OUT OF HELL III
a cold day in Hell

Diane
06 Apr 2006, 15:26
Thanks Chris. Can't wait to hear it! :D But what about "Bat II"? They should cover that one too since it sold at least 12 million worldwide.

I found the following in the latest Radio Times:

"In a reality TV-loving world, where Big Brother contestants can become lauded for thinking that East Anglia is a mysterious land overseas, it's easy to sneer at anything that attracts the critical approval of the general public. But not everything that's popular has to be awful, as is proved by this opening edition in a new series on albums that have sold over ten million copies around the world. The enormous sales figures of Meat Loaf's 1977 Bat Out Of Hell release may have had a lot to do with the masterful gathering of writer Jim Steinman, producer Todd Rundgren and singer Meat Loaf. But what sold it to the public, as Mr. Loaf points out tonight, was his over-the-top stage-shows, which won audiences over as they watched, wondering if this 320lb behemoth of rock would manage to get through the performance without suffering a stroke. Plus the fact that - it was the campest album ever let out of the crypt."

Cult Of Byron
06 Apr 2006, 16:23
How in the name of all that is flapping holy, is Bat Out Of Hell CAMP?!?!?!

Over The Top? YES!, Larry Grayson? NO! Unless you count that Dick Emery vocal intro to For Crying Out Loud...

The over/misuse of the word camp REALLY gets my goat.

(In order to clarify my position on this, btw; what annoys me about this is that any emotional experience (particularly the ecstatic) positive or negative, that exists outside of that experienced in mundane/English everyday life must be derided as camp. If you cant understand something, it must be ridiculed at all costs.)

vrg
06 Apr 2006, 16:54
That's a true meaning of camp in the USA, to the point of overuse here as well.

Cult Of Byron
06 Apr 2006, 16:59
I mean, there are the obvious roots of the word 'camp' in gay subculture, but (if Jim's gay I'll shut my mouth!) it implies that any extremity of emotion can't be felt and it's just aesthetic (in terms of existing purely on the level of appearance , or the aural equivalent!), and I know what I feel when listening to Bat, and I dunno, but it feels genuine enough to me!

Paul191
06 Apr 2006, 17:06
thanks, thats really cool

hayley
06 Apr 2006, 17:58
Thanks for that i can't wait!:D

Cult Of Byron
06 Apr 2006, 18:12
I will listen to it, but unfortunately that trailer makes me wonder if they will miss the point.

SuperLoafMan
06 Apr 2006, 18:47
Thanks for that, Will be listening to that! :D

Diane
08 Apr 2006, 13:32
From today's Daily Mail Weekend magazine, radio section:

10 Million Can't Be Wrong

"It's good to know that Meat Loaf's out there, somewhere, cooking up a third Bat Out Of Hell album. Bat 1, as fans call it, is one of the top-selling debut albums of all time, but it nearly didn't make it out of the warehouse, let alone Hell. Meat Loaf tells Kate Thornton how a stinging review had curious punters flocking to his live show - and his over-the-top, Gothic folly of an album went on to sell more than 10 million copies."

Nice little plug for "Bat III"! The programme is also listed in the best music picks of the week. :D

Diane

Sapphire Lady
08 Apr 2006, 16:42
From today's Herald magazine, 7-day radio section:

10 Million Can't Be Wrong

"Kate Thornton explores albums that have each sold in excess of ten million copies worldwide. The 1977 greaser frenzy Bat Out Of Hell by the mighty Meat Loaf, pictured, is top of the bill."

Greaser frenzy ???

Nice pic of (the mighty) Meat though :D

Meataholic
12 Apr 2006, 18:15
Not long to wait now:D
They have been advertising it a lot on Radio 2 today.
Heather

Heli
12 Apr 2006, 23:01
It's on in a minute!!!! :mrgreen:

Jayd
12 Apr 2006, 23:31
Some Bat 3 promo there I see :D

ChloeLee88
12 Apr 2006, 23:33
Indeed!
I enjoyed that!
Chloe

Ben
12 Apr 2006, 23:33

thats what we like to hear!!

RadioMaster
12 Apr 2006, 23:39
So, the show´s just over.
Let me tell you (for those who didn´t hear it) what he said about Bat3:
He says, that the Album will have all the colours of feeling Bat 1&2 had but there will be new great things. But he thinks, that´s very difficult to make this "classic moment" happen, but he knows, that once it will happen.
And the time is right for a comeback of rock!
It is very melodramatic.

It will be buyable as a downloadable mp3 album.

R.

Ben
13 Apr 2006, 00:04
It will be buyable as a downloadable mp3 album.

R.

Where did this info come from?

mikeloaf
13 Apr 2006, 00:15
I listened to this program. It was very good. I especially enjoyed the brief play of a live version of all revved up. Meat live always sounds better than studio takes. He did say a bit about Bat3, saying how hard it was day to day to be back in the studio. He didn't say anything about mp3 downloads though.

It was a very enjoyable program. He seems to find the whole Bat 1 success a little unbelievable even after all these's years.

Benny
13 Apr 2006, 00:22
It was good, I enjoyed listening to it. I love that live version of All Revved Up, it rocks:D

Ross
13 Apr 2006, 00:24
I can't get it to "listen again" on the website... can anyone else get it?

Lorraine
13 Apr 2006, 00:58
have you got real. I'm listening at the mo but couldn't until I download real player

ChrisBelfast
13 Apr 2006, 01:07
Where did this info come from?

at the end of the show the presenter asked the question how well will Bat III do in the age of digital downloading?....it did not say bat III would be a digital download.

Paul191
13 Apr 2006, 01:50
I've just listened to it on radio2.co.uk and i loved it. I'm so glad they mentioned Bat III aswell. However, i do think they should have had a little less of the music and a little more talking.... but that's just my personal opinion.

vrg
13 Apr 2006, 02:59
I listened to this program. It was very good. I especially enjoyed the brief play of a live version of all revved up. Meat live always sounds better than studio takes. He did say a bit about Bat3, saying how hard it was day to day to be back in the studio. He didn't say anything about mp3 downloads though.

It sounds like a very recent interview. Could you tell if it sounded like it was over the phone? The news is great, nevertheless and needless to say.

RadioMaster
13 Apr 2006, 10:25
at the end of the show the presenter asked the question how well will Bat III do in the age of digital downloading?....it did not say bat III would be a digital download.

Bat out of hell 3 is due for release later this year and it will be interessting to sea if it can still hold the publics imagination and how well it sells in the digital download era.

I´m sorry, it was late at night here, when i listended to it and i heard "download area" instead of "download era"
excuse me
R.

RadioMaster
13 Apr 2006, 10:37
I've just listened to it on radio2.co.uk and i loved it. I'm so glad they mentioned Bat III aswell. However, i do think they should have had a little less of the music and a little more talking.... but that's just my personal opinion.

I think the mix of music and talk was very good. You may see it as everyone of us, as a Meat fan. But for someone who whould listen to it and only heard of Meat it whould be good. (I´m saying this as an expert for such things;-) )
I´m planning to do something like this next month for our station, but it will be a portait of Meat, not of BOOH, and it will be 1 or 2 hours.

L96
13 Apr 2006, 12:01
It was all old interviews and quotes cobbled together, interwoven by music, not even an actual interview :(

Hell, I did that in Year 9 music about Jim Steinman using the words from Love, Death and an American Guitar.

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose/meaning.

Ross
13 Apr 2006, 12:06
have you got real. I'm listening at the mo but couldn't until I download real player

I did but there was a problem last night... listening right now!

Anyone find it interesting what Meat was saying about the uniqueness of Paradise, when Jim did go on to repeat the formula with Dance in my Pants? As much as I love Dance it is a bit like Paradise II!

And why no FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?:twisted:

Dave
13 Apr 2006, 13:35
Anyone find it interesting what Meat was saying about the uniqueness of Paradise, when Jim did go on to repeat the formula with Dance in my Pants? As much as I love Dance it is a bit like Paradise II!

Jim tried to recapture the essence of Paradise with DIMP, but DIMP is simply lacking in many areas.

~Dave

rockfenris2005
13 Apr 2006, 15:09
What I find most interesting is this claim Dance In My Pants was written after, and copying, Paradise By The Dashboard Light. That is not necessarily so...

For those Steinfreaks among us you'll be aware that he worked on the "Neverland" musical in 1977. The song which opens the second act is "Dance in my Pants". The entire show has been recorded (live) with the exception of this scene, and a few others, because the people recording forgot to turn the tape on. In that case, we are never quite sure if Steinman recycled this song for "Bad For Good" but giving his penchant for recycling it's most likely he did. Thus...

"Dance In My Pants" was premiered in Neverland, June 1977, with "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" released as part of the BAT album in October 1977. That almost, immediately, gives cause to dismiss the Paradise II claim.

I think he wrote them at the same time and, for some reason, Meat Loaf didn't want it on BAT 1

Bart
13 Apr 2006, 15:44
I think he wrote the first verses first, you know the part the girl sings.That would be the song on Neverland. After BOOH he changed it to a Paradise II.

rockfenris2005
13 Apr 2006, 15:54
I think he wrote the first verses first, you know the part the girl sings.That would be the song on Neverland. After BOOH he changed it to a Paradise II.

According to the "Neverland" programme, Dance In My Pants is sung by The Historian and Wendy

Bart
13 Apr 2006, 16:29
So?
Total eclipse has also been sung by 2 people.

rockfenris2005
13 Apr 2006, 16:31
Total Eclipse *is* sung by two people. What are you talking about?

Bart
13 Apr 2006, 16:56
Ryan: Totale finsternis!

mikeloaf
13 Apr 2006, 23:00
You could tell straight away that it wasn't an interview. I doubt the presenter and Meat ever met. The music sounded very good. I think they probably asked Meat to record some answers to some questions. He has worked on R2 before and did a really good 1 hour christmas show 1999 ( ? ) featuring his favorite music. I think it's quite upto date. It sounds very much like Meats been waiting for rock to come back into fashion and this is the year for his version of rock!

RadioMaster
13 Apr 2006, 23:15
It may sounded so, as if the presenter and Meat never meet. But radiostations often reco.rd the voice of the presenter a second time and use from the original interview just the voice of the artist. This is done, because a voice recorded in a studio always sounds better than in a hotel room (no echoes and such things).
Mostly the interviewer don´t even record their own voice in an interview because they know, that they won´t use it.

R.

Ross
14 Apr 2006, 01:11
What I find most interesting is this claim Dance In My Pants was written after, and copying, Paradise By The Dashboard Light. That is not necessarily so...

For those Steinfreaks among us you'll be aware that he worked on the "Neverland" musical in 1977. The song which opens the second act is "Dance in my Pants". The entire show has been recorded (live) with the exception of this scene, and a few others, because the people recording forgot to turn the tape on. In that case, we are never quite sure if Steinman recycled this song for "Bad For Good" but giving his penchant for recycling it's most likely he did. Thus...

"Dance In My Pants" was premiered in Neverland, June 1977, with "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" released as part of the BAT album in October 1977. That almost, immediately, gives cause to dismiss the Paradise II claim.

I think he wrote them at the same time and, for some reason, Meat Loaf didn't want it on BAT 1

Ahh this is very interesting - but to be honest I think they are both fantastic songs, so it doesn't bother me at all if one is similar, or copied from another. I enjoy them both!

mikeloaf
15 Apr 2006, 01:35
Paradise is unique. What other album that sold, what an unrecorded 60 million contains such a song?.
It is unique, why try to read more into it?

Vickip
15 Apr 2006, 02:37
I think the mix of music and talk was very good. You may see it as everyone of us, as a Meat fan. But for someone who whould listen to it and only heard of Meat it whould be good. (I´m saying this as an expert for such things;-) )
I´m planning to do something like this next month for our station, but it will be a portait of Meat, not of BOOH, and it will be 1 or 2 hours.

That sounds great Radiomaster ! Please keep us posted :))
Is your radio station streamed on the web ... so those of the U.S. will be able to hear it as well ?

Vicki

Ma.Ra
15 Apr 2006, 08:35
I can't get it to "listen again" on the website... can anyone else get it?

And I can't find anything. Could some one give me a direc link please? Thank you:D

Ross
15 Apr 2006, 10:28
You can't, because it is a pop up window. (well i don't know how to find an adress for a pop up window.)

Go to the link above. On the right hand side of the window there is a purple box that says listen again. It has Coldplay and Jools Holland in it. Click on more shows at the bottom of the purple box. There will be a big lists of shows and it is the first under the A-Z of all shows.

Hope that helps!

RadioMaster
15 Apr 2006, 12:47
That sounds great Radiomaster ! Please keep us posted :))
Is your radio station streamed on the web ... so those of the U.S. will be able to hear it as well ?

Vicki

We had a live stream, but now there are some problems with it. I hope that it will work again until next month, when i will do the show.
But You won´t understand very much vicki, it´s in german!

R.