PDA

View Full Version : A Hole in One - review

Kathy
30 Dec 2005, 03:01
What a movie! I enjoyed it, although using that word sounds a little odd to my own ear. Certainly, it grabbed my attention right from the beginning and I was held riveted throughout. It's a hard movie to pigeonhole. It's educational (apparently they really did lobotomies like that!); it's a period piece (portrays the American 50's beautifully); it's a sort of fable about sanity vs. insanity, and about our personal responsibility for coping with reality; it's a story about a romantic triangle; and ... it's a comedy of sorts, absurd and often funny. This last I didn't expect, but it's a very good element for this movie to have, because otherwise it would be too unrelentingly horrifying and grim. For instance, I was grinning at Billy's two bodyguards waiting outside the Agora Club door - but the scenes that followed wiped the smile right off my face... Yet even then, Billy's absurd comment about the Greek salads made me blink, and gave a little relief. I think I will watch A Hole in One again pretty soon - and I'm sure I'll find that the shock value will have lessened and I'll find it even funnier.

Meat is just great in this movie! He plays Billy, a thug and a homicidal psychopath. Meat plays a menacing character very well - Billy is raise-the-hairs-on-the-back-of-your-neck scary. And yet Billy is not a one-dimensional character. Someone told me (I don't have the original reference) that Meat had said in an interview that the character of Billy had "no redeeming qualities." Not redeeming, maybe, but Billy does have touching human qualities, at least the way Meat plays him. The scene where Billy discovers Anna with Tom is heartbreaking because Billy is so completely overcome with pain and grief that we the audience are in full sympathy with him, which is impressive because by this point in the movie, we are very, very certain we don't like Billy!! To me, this was Meat's Oscar-worthy moment. :D And in another earlier scene in the kitchen, where Billy is telling Anna that he will help her if she really wants a lobotomy, Billy walks toward Anna. As he approaches her, rather than tower over her, he bends his knees a little so that he is on her level, and kisses her on the cheek. I thought this was touching, because it contrasts so with Billy's size and personal power, as well as the attitudes of that era. And of course the funny parts are right up Meat's alley (yes, Billy, your friend sure was better off before! :lol: )

I strongly recommend this movie.
-Kathy

Pudding
30 Dec 2005, 03:07
Is it on DVD ?

Pud :twisted:

Kathy
30 Dec 2005, 03:13
Yes, it was released on Tuesday.
-Kathy

Pudding
30 Dec 2005, 03:57
I might have a look out for that at the video shop then.

Pud :twisted:

The Flying Mouse
30 Dec 2005, 04:01
:twisted: Roll on the UK release :cool:

Jeanie
30 Dec 2005, 05:13
You summed it up very well, Kathy, well said. :))

Jeanie, one of few people to see this film in the theatre, when it was screened at a Film Festival and have a ticket from the film, autographed by the man himself. :))

djfierce
31 Dec 2005, 16:02
When do we get it here. Anyone know? :?

Kathy
31 Dec 2005, 18:15
Amazon.co.uk has it - it's Region 1, NTSC.
-Kathy

Kathy
31 Dec 2005, 18:18
You summed it up very well, Kathy, well said. :))

Jeanie, one of few people to see this film in the theatre, when it was screened at a Film Festival and have a ticket from the film, autographed by the man himself. :))

Thanks Jeanie, I've been wanting to see it really bad ever since you did :-) - I didn't know about your autographed ticket! - how cool!!
-Kathy

Jeanie
31 Dec 2005, 20:08
Yes, I got Meat to sign it, at the M&G we were at this yr, in NH, Kathy. :-)
J.

djfierce
01 Jan 2006, 16:39
Amazon.co.uk has it - it's Region 1, NTSC.
-Kathy

Thanks Kathy, will have a look

Eva
12 Jan 2006, 10:44
I got it from www.amazon.com today :D :D :D

http://www.meatloaf-fanclub.de/Forumsbilder/hole01.jpg

http://www.meatloaf-fanclub.de/Forumsbilder/hole02.jpg

Ankie
12 Jan 2006, 12:04
Thanks Eva!

Wow, Jeanie! Good on you!!

ChloeLee88
12 Jan 2006, 13:59
I have ordered a copy of this film...i should get it on the next couple of weeks. It looks great i cant wait. I got rustin at the same time too :))))

Jeanie....the autographed ticket.....what a cool idea!!!!

Chloe

Jeanie
12 Jan 2006, 19:13
Thanks Ankie & Chloe. :-)

That's a wonderful pic of Meat on the back of the dvd.:D
Thanks for sharing it with us,Eva. :-)

J.

Paul191
15 Jan 2006, 01:48
WOW! this film looks and sounds great. I'm gonna order it tommorrow when i get up. Thanks!

Kathy
15 Jan 2006, 02:28
WOW! this film looks and sounds great. I'm gonna order it tommorrow when i get up. Thanks!
It really is great ... and for the faint-hearted (like me :lol:) it's much easier and more fun to watch the 2nd time around! You notice things you didn't the first time.. It's really a good movie!!
-Kathy

MLFAN17
23 Jan 2006, 14:17
I live in the US East coast. I cant find this movie ANYWHERE! Not even for rent. Anybodh know of any stores where it might be o sale?

Kathy
23 Jan 2006, 17:55
I got mine at Best Buy, and a friend in Delaware found it there, also. Good luck!
-Kathy

Jeanie
24 Jan 2006, 05:43
Amazon.com has it as well, MLFAN17

J.

Elijah's way
29 Jan 2006, 14:51
Ordered mine off deepdiscountdvd.com, free shipping!