PDA

View Full Version : Meat Loaf No.4 in greatest comeback list

Pudding
18 Nov 2005, 22:07
4. Meat Loaf (1993)

The mid-seventies saw Meat Loaf atop the rock world, riding the unparalleled success of his debut album Bat Out Of Hell. By the mid-eighties, with such spectacular flops as Midnight At The Lost And Found and Blind Before I Stop, Meat Loaf was well on his way to starring in his own Behind The Music special, that is if he could have found his way off of the “Where Are They Now” list. Though he remained a solid concert draw in England, in America Meat Loaf could only fill college gyms in cities where he once sold out arenas. Greeted with slight derision, Meat Loaf’s announced reunion with Jim Steinman on the creation of Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell barely registered outside of his loyal fans. That is, until he released it. The first single, "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" marked a return to the operatic, Broadway style songs that marked his earlier success and became Meat Loaf's first number one hit. Meat Loaf persevered for 16 years between the two Bat Out Of Hells, survived becoming a rock and roll punch line and avoided the label of one hit wonder.

Meat Loaf's comeback exemplifies the "Return To Credibility" comeback. This occurs when the artist avoids a spot in The Surreal Life house and rescues his career from becoming a joke. The best example of which came in 1989, when . . .

Click ME (http://www.earvolution.com/2005/11/johnny-cash-tops-list-of-greatest.asp) for all the article.

Pud :twisted:

Ben
18 Nov 2005, 22:39
cheers for that pud

Heli
19 Nov 2005, 01:38
*fingers crossed that Queen are on there.........waiting for the page to bloody load!!*

OMG how stupid is that!! :shock: What a rip off!!

Although it's good to see Meat and Pink Floyd in there! ^_^!

Bart
24 Nov 2005, 10:23
What a stupid article.

Space Monkey
25 Nov 2005, 00:15
What a stupid article.
I agree with what Meat says - his wasn't a 'comeback' because he never went anywhere! As soon as - or possibly before - he put Blind out he was working on Bat 2 with Jimmy. In that respect he was always working, so 'comeback' is the wrong term I guess. Becoming less popular then having a big album doesn't constitute a comeback in my eyes.

shadow1000001
25 Nov 2005, 05:06
I have to agree with Space Monkey. It's hard to have a comeback if you haven't went anywhere. :roll:

Pudding
25 Nov 2005, 05:12
I think it's safe to say his recording career took a definite nose-dive in the 80's and most people saw him as a has-been! With Bat 2, it resurrected not only his popularity again but his chart success, on both sides of the Atlantic. So when they say 'comeback' I don't think they're talking literally, but in a more figure of speech way.

Bart
25 Nov 2005, 11:21
A nose dive in albums sales maybe but Meat was a real and famous live act in UK, Ireland, germany, Swiss, Austria, New Zealand and Australia. So What do you mean with nose dive or comeback.

Bart
25 Nov 2005, 11:22
he could sell out a Birmingham, NEc in 1988 when he had NO label!

Bart
25 Nov 2005, 11:24
These things have always pissed me off.
If he failed in the eighties how could he pay such wonderful musician like Kulick, Buslowe, Burgi, Chincetti (??) and Merrill!

Pudding
25 Nov 2005, 11:48
LOL...Good argument...LMAO :lmao:

Bart
25 Nov 2005, 12:02
yeah :mrgreen:

Tim
30 Nov 2005, 12:48
What a crap!

Why ever would make a list of that... and besides.. ML is still in the bussiness!