PDA

View Full Version : Bryn's A Dead Ringer For Loaf

Diane
16 Nov 2005, 09:48
http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/regionalnews/tm_objectid=16372064&method=full&siteid=50142&headline=bryn-s-a-dead-ringer-for-loaf--name_page.html#story_continue

Enjoy! :mrgreen: :

Bryn's a dead ringer for Loaf Nov 15 2005

By Gareth Bicknell, North Wales Daily Post

OPERA star Bryn Terfel last night revealed he often gets mobbed while out and about in New York - by Meatloaf fans.

The world-famous bass-baritone from Pantglas, near Caernarfon, claimed he is often mistaken for the American rocker, best known for topselling album Bat Out Of Hell.

Bryn said he was a fan of the Texan singer - real name Marvin Lee Aday - whose best known numbers include Dead Ringer For Love, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad and the epic I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That).

Bryn was in New York earlier this year playing Falstaff at the city's Metropolitan Theatre.

He said yesterday: "People have come up to me in the street saying 'Hey, Meat-loaf, I love that song you do, Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad'.

"It was more when I had long hair. They'd ask for my autograph but I'd just say thanks for the compliment. It's quite funny."

He added: "I'm a huge fan of Meat-loaf's. He's a singer I love to go and see.

"I saw him in Melbourne last year when I was doing a concert there the next night.

"He's just brought out a DVD of that show and I was there watching it!"

"My favourite of his songs is Bat Out Of Hell but he's got some fantastic songs.

"They're like mini-operetta scenes and he's a real character. He's a different animal on stage. He loves to depict his songs.

"My wife Lesley loves him even more - she always plays him in the car.."

Bryn said he must have a "distin-guished face", adding he was mistaken for French actor Gerard Depardieu while in Paris.

But despite plans to increase his repertoire Bryn said he would not be singing Meatloaf songs.

"Never in a month of Sundays," he said.

"It would be wrong. You should draw the line at that. Where you've got somebody who sings that repertoire so fantastically you should just enjoy them doing it rather than trying it yourself."

Bryn is in North Wales next week to sing copies of his new album Simple Gifts at HMV in Llandudno.

The star will be at the store on Thursday, November 24 from 5pm.

He said: "I'll be there for as long as it takes. If there's three people there I'll stay for the three.

"If 3,000 turn up I'll stay for the 3,000. I think it's important to give something back to my own location."

The singer is also appearing at the Royal Variety Performance, at the Wales Millennium Centre, Cardiff, on Monday, November 21.

He will be performing a duet with Italian opera legend Andrea Bocelli who joined Bryn at the Faenol Festival in August.

Bryn said: "For such a prestigious show to be held at the WMC shows that it's a wonderful venue."

He is heading to Gleneagles in Scotland this weekend to celebrate his 40th birthday and said he was looking forward to spending Christmas with Lesley and his sons, Tomos, 11, Morgan, seven and four-year-old Deio Siôn.

Pudding
16 Nov 2005, 09:54
Thanks for the article Diane.

I actually think he does or did look a little like Meat Loaf and it's some strange coincidence that his partner is called Lesley as well.

I do agree with Bryn and that although he's a fantastic singer, if he sang any of Meats songs, I don't think they'd sound right. Saying that, Heaven Can Wait might be interesting.

Pud :twisted:

Diane
16 Nov 2005, 10:09
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/1717/brynterfel6li.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Bryn Terfel

Diane
16 Nov 2005, 13:43
Found this abridged version of the story on the BBC News Wales website as well. There are a pics of Meat and Bryn Terfel too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/4438836.stm

It's really cool that an opera singer of Bryn Terfel's stature has so much admiration for Meat.

:D

Diane

djfierce
27 Nov 2005, 00:06
i don't think he looks much like him from pictures i've seen but i guess you have to be there :roll:

Paul191
27 Nov 2005, 21:10
Haha, i think he looks a little like Meat Loaf. I think it's great that he has revealed he is a fan of Meat Loaf.

The Flying Mouse
25 Dec 2005, 02:14
:twisted: First time i've stumbled upon this.
ACE :cool:
Fantastic when an opera singer says he would never attempt a Meat song :yikes:
You rock Bryn :up: