PDA

View Full Version : Who's the BEST pianist Meat Loaf has worked with?

Pudding
11 Nov 2005, 22:26
Who do you think THE best pianist (I got to make sure I spelt that correct, don't want any confusion:D ) Meat Loaf has worked with is? Not just touring, but studio as well.

For me, it would have to be Roy Bittan.

Pud :twisted:

R.
11 Nov 2005, 22:36
This should be a poll.

Heli
11 Nov 2005, 22:59
Jimmy! Ha, who else!! :mrgreen:

Winston
11 Nov 2005, 23:00
Roy Bittan

Pudding
11 Nov 2005, 23:21
This should be a poll.

Can't really do a poll until all the nominations have been entered.

Vickip
11 Nov 2005, 23:43
Mark Alexander

Pudding
12 Nov 2005, 02:47
Although Mark Alexander is a good pianist, I would never have expected anyone would have placed him as technically better, than either Jim Steinman or Roy Bittan. I would even put Tom Brislin above Mark Alexander.

An interesting way of thinking indeed.

KebLou
12 Nov 2005, 12:37
Tom Brislin, although I haven't seen him live.

Puritan
12 Nov 2005, 13:29
Put a nomination in for "Billy Payne" (Bat 2)

After all the question is best pianist that Meat has worked with - not the best work produced by a pianist for Meat

Seen Billy Payne live half a dozen times - and he is good!

Cult Of Byron
12 Nov 2005, 13:55
Roy Bittan head and shoulders, knees and toes above all the rest. Bow ye all downe to the Bittmeister.

Leah
12 Nov 2005, 17:07
I have to say Roy Bittan too, followed by Jim.

Deb
12 Nov 2005, 23:48
Tom Brislin

Bart
14 Nov 2005, 12:46
Mark is funny on stage and he works perfectly together with Meat but

I go for Jim Steinman, cause everybody wants to have a pianoplayer who write all these damn good songs

Diane
14 Nov 2005, 15:24
Roy Bittan here too, though Jim is the pianist I would most like to see touring with Meat! :cool:

Diane

Ankie
14 Nov 2005, 15:44
To me it is Mark Alexander; the way he and Meat were able to do FCOL on the DVD absolutelydoes it for me...... *sigh*

Bart
14 Nov 2005, 16:22
Meat and Jim on a stage is the ultimate thing for me.
Just like they did in the seventies. Pity I haven't seen anything from them in 1993 together on stage besides the photo on the backsleeve from LATW.
"ladies and gentlemen, mr Jim Steinman". That sent shivers....

Diane
14 Nov 2005, 16:51
Meat and Jim on a stage is the ultimate thing for me.
Me as well Bart.

"ladies and gentlemen, mr Jim Steinman". That sent shivers....
Know that feeling too!

Dave
14 Nov 2005, 18:29
I would like to say I appreciate Mark's stage style and abilities a lot; however, Tom has a certain technique (especially on the faster songs) due to his classical training that makes him second to none.

RE Roy Bittan, have had two different Meat Loaf pianists explain that a lot of what Mr. Bittan has put on the record for Meat Loaf has been enhanced with multiple takes.

~Dave

Ankie
14 Nov 2005, 22:41
Has one of you seen Meat and Jim on stage together, Bart and Diane?

Diane
14 Nov 2005, 22:58
Has one of you seen Meat and Jim on stage together, Bart and Diane?
'fraid not Ankie .... but it would be a dream come true! Closest I got was at a concert at Wembley in either 1993 or 1994 (can't remember off the top of my head) when Meat announced from the stage that Jim was in the audience and said "Look around ... he could be standing next to you". Naturally I looked really hard ... but no luck. Amongst a crowd of 12,000 the chances weren't good! :lol:

Diane

Diane
14 Nov 2005, 23:11
Should have added that for the rest of that concert I kept hoping that perhaps Jim would make a surprise appearance, but sadly it wasn't to be.

.... and getting back on topic (kind of!!!) ... Jim would still be my favourite pianist to see live on stage with Meat.

Diane

Bart
15 Nov 2005, 10:20
Wow. Look around..... Great. :cool:

Ankie
15 Nov 2005, 11:07
Dear Bart, is this a yes; that you saw your favourite artists on stage together?! ;)
Or better (and put it in an on topic way ;) ) does this mean that you ARE able to say you actually SAW your favourite pianist on stage with Meat?

RSG
12 Dec 2005, 17:58
Brislin

Jaymze
13 Dec 2005, 20:19
The Stein Man

Oriel
14 Dec 2005, 21:21
Did Steve Margoshes play on any Meat tracks? I know is written and played on Jimmy tracks. If he did, then definately Steve, if not either Brittan or Payne.

S.

SteinLoaf
08 Jan 2006, 14:23
Roy Bittan is an awesome pianist and technically brilliant. His work on the BAT album was fantastic. Ofcourse he has a long and illustrious career in music especially with the E Street Band.

Tom Brislin was technically remarkable and the classical training shows but I never thought him as a real showman.

Mark Alexander has the showman skills to make live come Alive! He's classically trained so he's got what gives like the others. I like his style but find his cheats to get the part delivered funny.

Having said all of that, whilst i've never seen then together live, the partnership was always Steinman and Meat Loaf and the early days before everything erupted it was them on stages everywhere. I have to go with Steinman therefore (and he's a very talented pianist in his own right too).

Paul191
10 Jan 2006, 22:40
I think Mark Alexander is the best. He is terrific live!

Jaymze
18 Jan 2006, 15:45
It'll always be Steinman- I would love to see the two of them together again on stage, no musician can ever know the music like Steinman because he made it. Listen to some of the early live shows with Steinman in, the songs are really piano orientated i.e FCOL and TOTAB- they sound amazing.

PanicLord
21 Jan 2006, 09:58
Steinman for me too. He doesn't just play - like Meat's voice, Jim's piano playing really heightens the emotions in the songs. Also, I think just the fact that there is a piano is key to the music. A sign of a quality Steinsong is someone trying to kill a piano :)

I would love to see Jim and Meat together on stage - I guess now that Meat's shows have to be shorter, Jim's health would also not prevent him from joining in? I'm surprised he has any fingers left though given how vicious he is with the piano at times.

Benny
20 Mar 2006, 21:53
Jim Steinman and Mark Alexander :D

wenners
27 Jun 2006, 23:15
got to be the man himself "Jim the god Steinman"

Anyone who plays the piano with such passion and emence hatred
Who then holds his hands high above his head bleeding.

Need i say more???

RSG
28 Jun 2006, 18:24
Mark is really cool! And I wouldn't have him replaced Ever.

samurai7
27 Jul 2006, 17:37
Jim isn't the greatest pianist - he's rather clumsy, and rushes the tempos - which is why he didn't play on the album himself.

Dunno about you guys, but I quite like Paul Jacobs. Funny no-one's mentioned him yet...

Hypnobabe
28 Jul 2006, 22:27
Having been watching the MSO dvd again today, I'd have to go with Roy Bittan, I can't imagine my fingers moving fast enough to play Frying Pan the way he does on BatII - all respect to the man!

White of High
31 Jul 2006, 01:20
Steve Margoshes... in Pray Lewd...
But he has never played any songs with Meat...

Bohemian
31 Jul 2006, 10:42
Steve Margoshes... in Pray Lewd...
But he has never played any songs with Meat...

Steve Margoshes played piano on For Crying Out Loud along with Cheryl Hardwick and Roy Bittan, with Roy being credited as "solo piano". I guess that's the intro and outro. With dual pianos in the middle I guess.

B.

rockyboy74
17 Aug 2006, 18:49
Mark Alexander, such a great partnership that he has with Meat, think they work really well together

Evil One
24 Jan 2007, 22:44
1: Jim Steinman
2: Tom Brislin
3: Mark Alexander