PDA

View Full Version : Who's the BEST drummer Meat Loaf has worked with?

Pudding
10 Nov 2005, 04:34
I think this topic deserves a thread all on its own.

Who do you think THE best drummer Meat Loaf has worked with is? Not just touring, but studio as well. And I'm talking individually talented and not the one who's bashed out Bat Out Of Hell the best.

For me it would have to be Max Weinberg

Pud :twisted:

Ankie
10 Nov 2005, 09:19
Since I do not know how Max will be playing while on tour I can not give an opinion on that one. But when you have to be on your toes every second of a show, having to mind every move Meat makes, I think John does a wonderful job!! I can not recall John not being ''with'' Meat one time.

To go off topic here for one moment: Of course this counts for all musicians of NLE ;) :D

DIZZY DRUMMER
10 Nov 2005, 09:45
JOHN :cheer: :cheer:

Pudding
10 Nov 2005, 10:08
Since I do not know how Max will be playing while on tour I can not give an opinion on that one.

OK, I did say "Not just touring, but studio as well" To limit the discussion to just touring would be boring and I don't really want this to turn into a John Micelli worshipping thread, that can be done HERE (http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1104)

I'm really interested in pure drumming ability. NOT looks, NOT personality and definately NOT a misguided judgement based on a euphoric experience at a rock show, that view isn't an impartial one.

By the way if anyone wants to know what Meat Loaf tracks Max Weinberg has played on and are too lazy to look at their liner notes, here they are.

Bat Out Of Hell
You Took The Words
Paradise
Peel Out
I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us
More Tha You Deserve
I'll Kill You If You Don't Come Back
Everything Is Permitted

He's also played on some Bonnie Tyler songs, but since thisn't about her, then it's irrelevant.

AndyK
10 Nov 2005, 10:37
In the studio ithas to be Max Weinberg, end of story. SHame that the mighty Max never toured with Meat, that would have produced some awesome live performances. I've seen photo's of Max after a Springsteen show with his hands in buckets of ice he gives that much!

Live it's a **** up between John Micelli and Andy Wells for me ... two different styles and sounds but both superb in their time.

Deb
10 Nov 2005, 10:53
Who's to say if John hadn't played on them songs that he wouldn't of played them just as good if not better? Or another drummer for that matter.

I agree Max is an excellent drummer but I do also think that John is.

Bart
10 Nov 2005, 11:13
Weinberg was the drummer at Jay Leno Show or the other guy (I forgot the name). It is very exciting to see him play drums. I think he is the best. He has got his own sound. He is thrilling on Tyler's/Steinman's Faster than the speed of night.
So for me it has to be Weinberg. Second best must be John.

Leah
10 Nov 2005, 11:54
I saw Max playing with Springsteen about a 2 years ago and he was brilliant live. I think he's an underrated drummer.
John is a great drummer too but king of the studio for me is Kenny Aronoff. I think they all have their strengths and are all equally brilliant musicians but think I'd have to go for Max to play live.

Pudding
10 Nov 2005, 12:01
Who's to say if John hadn't played on them songs that he wouldn't of played them just as good if not better? Or another drummer for that matter.

I agree Max is an excellent drummer but I do also think that John is.

No one's disputing John as an excellent drummer, because he is. But the subject is, who's THE best drummer Meat Loaf has worked with and you can take into account their other work with other bands i.e. Weinberg with Springsteen for example.

Also I think it's important not to throw if's, but's, maybe's or what if's type scenario's into the equation, the facts and facts only should speak for themselves.

It's interesting that Liberty DeVitto or Kenny Aronoff hasn't been mentioned yet and both of those are excellent drummers.

*Edit: Cross out Kenny Aronoff, Leah was quicker than me in posting ;) *

chrissylf22
10 Nov 2005, 12:23
i would have to say John

Winston
10 Nov 2005, 19:08
Max is the better drummer

Pudding
10 Nov 2005, 21:23
According to THIS (http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_drummers.html) website they have the following listed.

31. Max Weinberg
58. Kenny Aronoff
69. Roger Taylor

No mention of John, Andy Wells or Liberty DeVitto

Heli
10 Nov 2005, 21:38
WOOOO ROGER TAYLOR!! :cheer:

:oops: sorry

The Flying Mouse
11 Nov 2005, 01:29
:twisted: Poll?

Vickip
11 Nov 2005, 05:59
i would have to say John

Me too .... definitely John :-)
Vicki

Deb
11 Nov 2005, 10:59
Thanx to Heli's post in the best guitarist thread for reminding me that choosing a touring bandmember is just as good as a studio one. As lots of work goes into the studio to make the album sound how it does. On stage it's not as easy and things are more real :D

Maybe you should start a thread for best studio bandmember only and then a touring one lol.

BTW I know that Pud, Andy and Lep will still say Max due to his touring work with Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce :twisted:

AndyK
11 Nov 2005, 11:16
Perandtically I'd say that Max is still technically the best drummer - his on stage drum kit is tiny compared to the kits used by the likes of John, Andy Wells, Roger Taylor or many many other drummers out there - to me that shows a great musical talent on his chosen instrument. On a side note - another favourite drummer of mine with imcredible skill is Charlie Watts - the noises he can m,ake with such a minute drum kit are out of this world.

By no means am I demeaning anyone else here - least of all John who is and always will be the best live drummer I've seen with Meat. But I beleive, technically speaking, that the best is Max.

If you'd asked who the greatest was then I'd probably say John - he's incredibly skilled and a top bloke too!

KebLou
11 Nov 2005, 17:21
Why does using a small kit show his talent? If drumming is anything like guitar playing the smaller the easier.
John all the way.

Diane
11 Nov 2005, 17:48
Live for me it has to be John.

In the studio it's a close call between Max Weinberg and Kenny Aronoff with Max just tipping the scales.

Diane

Heli
11 Nov 2005, 18:41
Ooo :shock: .......Roger's played with Meat hasn't he..........at the Vegas WWRY party thing.....did he??!??.....

If so I choose Roger :mrgreen: ....although.....Patti is part of the NLE....and she's played with Roger......does that count?! :P

Deb
11 Nov 2005, 20:52
Don't think Roger did play on that song Meat did :?

They had a few drummers that night

http://www.debzwebz.biz/wwry/images/View20%20ml.jpg

Heli
11 Nov 2005, 21:06
Brian: Haha, ok Meat, shut up now, the songs finished....
Drummer: Right thats it, I'm shoving these sticks down his throat now!!
Meat: Ha, you really think that'll shut me up! :twisted:

Deb
11 Nov 2005, 21:17
:lmao:

fencingirl
10 Dec 2005, 13:28
it's JOHN, no doubt :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

RSG
12 Dec 2005, 18:52
By the way if anyone wants to know what Meat Loaf tracks Max Weinberg has played on and are too lazy to look at their liner notes, here they are.

Bat Out Of Hell
You Took The Words
Paradise
Peel Out
I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us
More Tha You Deserve
I'll Kill You If You Don't Come Back
Everything Is Permitted

and the whole Midnight album... to name a few more;)

Leah
12 Dec 2005, 22:08
Doe's anyone agree that the drumming towards the end of "gonna love her for both of us" is bombastic?!! It send shivers down my spine each time i hear it. I think that has to be a brilliant trademark of Jim's. Also "Faster than the speed of night" just gets better as the song progresses (drum wise)....I listen and simply droooooooooooooool!!!!!:drool: 8)

Space Monkey
15 Dec 2005, 04:20
According to THIS (http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_drummers.html) website they have the following listed.

31. Max Weinberg
58. Kenny Aronoff
69. Roger Taylor

No mention of John, Andy Wells or Liberty DeVitto

I'd be tempted to ignore any list of great drummers which doesn't have Keith Moon as number one.

Benny
20 Mar 2006, 22:58
It's John:D

RSG
14 Jun 2006, 19:18
Max is awesome! He's on Late Night all Time. As for John, He's right cool. He's done alot to some Meat's songs, and that gets my vote!

wenners
27 Jun 2006, 21:55
Wells Kelly.

I was at the Bad attitude concerts not long after he died and the tribute Meat did still sits with me today. I cant listen to peace of the Action without thinking about that show.

samurai7
28 Jul 2006, 20:04
I personally can't pick a favourite - they all bring their own dynamic to each of the recordings/performances.

No-one's mentioned Terry Williams yet?!? He was pretty good in the early '80s UK tour.

rockyboy74
17 Aug 2006, 19:39
It has to be John, brilliant on stage

michael.c
20 Aug 2006, 21:30
no one has mentioned chuck burgi. toured with meat for a while then married a goff sister.

Evil One
24 Jan 2007, 23:44
1: Chuck Burgi
2: Terry Williams
3: John Miceli