PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone's 500 Best Songs of All Time

Kathy
23 Nov 2004, 01:24
Rolling Stone just issued a Special Collector's Issue featuring "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". To see the list for yourself, go to:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/6596661/500songs

If you want to write to them about it, here's the address:

letters@rollingstone.com

And here's the letter I wrote to them:

"The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time" from the Rock & Roll era - but nothing by legendary artist Meat Loaf in this list? None of Jim Steinman's lovely ballads or epic rock songs delivered with Meat Loaf's signature unabashed passion?? Nothing from the highly original and best-selling album Bat Out of Hell???

I can understand how a poll of people in the music industry could result in a popularity contest - in your own words: "Lisa Marie Presley is one serious Daddy's Girl" - but that's where editors step in and earn their paychecks. I don't feel your editors are doing their jobs.

Issue 963 is the last one in my current subscription, but unless you can offer a good explanation for this oversight, I won't renew.

-Kathy

RockingBat
24 Nov 2004, 06:48
Brilliant letter Kathy, keep up the good work. Meat should have a minimum of 5 songs on that list. Some of the songs where just way too crapy to even be on that list.

ROWEC
24 Nov 2004, 11:15
Cannot believe that neither Meat or Jim are on the list, I would have expected them to be at the top, must have been a limited entry

Space Monkey
25 Nov 2004, 16:08
As has been discussed before, it's important not to take these polls seriously. They're simply lazy journalism, and the poll, as they always are, is dominated by a few popular acts at the top; The Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Dylan.

Compare Imagine or I Can't Get No Satisfaction lyrically with Heaven Can Wait or For Crying Out Loud. It's just that the Meat's songs aren't as popular, possibly because they weren't released as singles, or because Meat's not "cool". As he said on Bat 2 Picture Show; "If I ever become 'hip'... please shoot me and put me out of my misery." In that sense maybe we should be pleased he's not on the list...!

Take this poll with a pinch of salt - we're all entitled to our opinions.
No matter how wrong those opinions might be... :)

Kathy
27 Nov 2004, 20:49
As has been discussed before, it's important not to take these polls seriously. They're simply lazy journalism, and the poll, as they always are, is dominated by a few popular acts at the top; The Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Dylan.

Compare Imagine or I Can't Get No Satisfaction lyrically with Heaven Can Wait or For Crying Out Loud. It's just that the Meat's songs aren't as popular, possibly because they weren't released as singles, or because Meat's not "cool". As he said on Bat 2 Picture Show; "If I ever become 'hip'... please shoot me and put me out of my misery." In that sense maybe we should be pleased he's not on the list...!

Take this poll with a pinch of salt - we're all entitled to our opinions.
No matter how wrong those opinions might be... :)

Yes, you're absolutely right - I just felt it was an irresponsible act to come up with a list in the way that they did, and give it the title that they did. If it were the Ladies Home Journal or Field & Stream who would care, but this is Rolling Stone.

-Kathy (still mad at them, can't help myself :lol: :lol:

Gez
28 Nov 2004, 20:01
8O I agree.............but it's still a SCANDAL 8O

Rob The Badger
28 Nov 2004, 22:53
Dylan isn't exactly popular. . .
Like A Rolling Stone deserves to be no 1.