PDA

View Full Version : Meat Loaf has 3rd worse song of all time.

Pudding
09 Nov 2004, 20:30
Beatles Song Voted Worst Ever

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3737383

The Beatles’ track Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da has been voted the worst song of all time.

Paul Gascoigne’s version of the Geordie anthem Fog On The Tyne, which the footballer took to Number 2 in 1990, has come second in the Hall of Shame list.

Meat Loaf’s I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That), Number 1 in 1993, came third.

TV presenters Ant and Dec’s 1994 hit as PJ and Duncan, Let’s Get Ready to Rhumble, is also on the list.

Other chart toppers to make it on to the “10 worst” poll include Sir Cliff Richard’s 1999 hit The Millennium Prayer and 5ive’s version of Queen’s We Will Rock You, Number 1 in 2000.

Three of the songs on the Worst Ever list are sung by footballers, including Diamond Lights, Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle’s 1987 offering.

Liverpool’s Anfield Rap, featuring John Barnes, is also on there.

Ian Edwards, lecturer at the Academy of Contemporary Music, said: “Admit it or not, most of these are songs that we liked when they first came out.

“That is the nature of pop music as a part of fashion. Songs are popular at the time, but times change and often this results in embarrassing additions to your record collections.

“It is interesting to note that they were nearly all hits.”

A spokesman for Mars, which carried out the research, said: “We were surprised to find the Beatles at the top of the list, but we specifically asked voters to base their answers on the song’s merits, not their opinions of the bands.”

A total of 1,000 people were polled online for the survey.

The Mars Music Hall of Shame top 10:

1. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da – The Beatles (1968)

2. Fog on the Tyne (revisited) – Gazza and Lindisfarne (Number 2 in 1990)

3. I’ll Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That) – Meat Loaf (Number 1 in 1993)

4. Diamond Lights – Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle (Number 12 in 1987)

5. We Will Rock You – 5ive feat. Queen (Number 1 in 2000)

6. Millennium Prayer – Cliff Richard (Number 1 in 1999)

7. Ice Ice Baby – Vanilla Ice (Number 1 in 1990)

8. Anfield Rap – John Barnes and Liverpool FC (Number 3 in 1988)

9. Let’s Get Ready to Rhumble – PJ and Duncan (Number 9 in 1994)

10. 5,6,7,8 – Steps (Number 14 in 1997)

Pud :twisted:

Heli
09 Nov 2004, 20:33
Who ever decided that should be slapped!! :evil:

Caz
09 Nov 2004, 20:49

Slapped ...... i agree Helihound ...... but let's Slap them to death with a wet Trout

:lmao: :lmao:

Heli
09 Nov 2004, 21:42

Slapped ...... i agree Helihound ...... but let's Slap them to death with a wet Trout

:lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: !!!

DIZZY DRUMMER
09 Nov 2004, 22:08
Some people just have no taste :bicker:

AndrewG
09 Nov 2004, 22:13
I don't think these are really the worst songs ever. They are surely on the list cuz most people know them all. I mean would you really know what the worst songs ever were or would you really remember these? Surely some kind of B side to a Britney Spears single can be considered worse than "I'd do Anything for Love" ? It's a matter of taste anyway and I don't think it is right to say that this timely classic is an embarrasement in my record collection. Personally I would say anything that is in the Top 40 these days would be an embarrsement instead.
The fact that a newspaper (usually considered an okay one this one btw) can spend time on this shows you some editors have too much time on their hands.
:?

Jayd
10 Nov 2004, 01:26
According to VH1 Timmy Mallett with "Itsy Bitsy teeny Weeny" is worse song of all time and Mr Blobby is no 2, Meat is not in the top 100 at all. These compiled lists are c**p to me, I take no notice. :D

yetimusic
11 Nov 2004, 02:43
I'm sure Meat's losing no sleep over this kind of thing. These polls are purely for amusement and as someone's already pointed out, it's very rare for the genuinely terrible songs to actually get in these polls as nobody can remember them.

I'd take it as a slight compliment that the song is o 'bad' that this many people still remember it over a decade after its release

RockingBat
11 Nov 2004, 07:02
Probable these people didn't figure what "I won't do That" means. That track won a grammy voted by pro judges, and now some idiots decide it's not a very good song.
Well, u've got to be larger than life to understand and appreciate such music, so the guys who voted on it being bad just have a very small frame of mind.
WE ALWAYS ROCK!!!

XPattiRussoX
11 Nov 2004, 17:45
In my eyes how can a song be crap when it sold so many. Even though novelty records sell loads, they sell because they are 'novelty'. It really does make me mad that someone can slag off a song that so much time has been put into like A4l. It also annoys me that Queen are in there. A message for the people who create these lists.
-If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything at all-

Heli
11 Nov 2004, 18:27
Well if it wasn't for the fact 5ive were singing with Queen.

Mike Piercy
11 Nov 2004, 19:10
The problem with the top 100 or worst 100 of all time or similar is they are taken at a point in time.

Atart from being wrong about "Anything for love...." whoever concocts these surveys should be shot. They are an excuse for lazy journalism, and fillers in rock magazines and TV programmes when they haven't the wit to do something more intelligent.

Anybody seen the TV programme "Grumpy Old Men"? Well that's me.

It wouldn't have happened in my day you know.

Weissheim
12 Nov 2004, 13:21
That is an absolute travesty!!!

Let's Get Ready To Rumble is a classic! :)

Di
12 Nov 2004, 14:28

I love these polls... they are hilarious. So.... a total of 1,000 were polled? I always wonder who, when, and where. ;) You can pretty much show numbers in any way you want to when you develop and publish a poll... I have done it myself in the past to prove a point. ;)

A bit silly, but I love that the song was mentioned and remembered. ;)

Di
12 Nov 2004, 14:50

Oops! I forgot one more point that just cracked me up. hehe. 8)

Don't you just love this headline that is supported by a grand total of 1,000 polled? Now there is a huge chunk of world opinion at work. ;)

Gotta love the press... :wink:

Chris
12 Nov 2004, 22:27

On question - why didn't they get all ten places??? Everything they did besides hey Jude shoudl be on that list!

Skeleton
17 Nov 2004, 08:01
Probable these people didn't figure what "I won't do That" means.

I couldn´t have said it better.

People don´t know what "that" means. I played it to my friends and only my best friend understood it immeadetly but the others... :nope:

Gez
23 Nov 2004, 00:03
8O **SHOCKED** 8O

Pixie
23 Nov 2004, 17:06

I love these polls... they are hilarious. So.... a total of 1,000 were polled? I always wonder who, when, and where. ;) You can pretty much show numbers in any way you want to when you develop and publish a poll... I have done it myself in the past to prove a point. ;)

A bit silly, but I love that the song was mentioned and remembered. ;)

I agree with Di, they probably gave the 'pollsters' a list they had created themselves so it would be hopelessly biased in the first place.

Let's face it though, I'm sure Meat isn't going to lose any sleep over it and neither should we... :lol:

Winston
23 Nov 2004, 17:10
Let's face it though, I'm sure Meat isn't going to lose any sleep over it and neither should we... :lol:
at least someone has sense

Rob The Badger
28 Nov 2004, 22:45
The real crime here is that an (admitedly) crummy Beatles number was voted worse than the all the other tripe in that list. . .Travesty.

Max
23 Dec 2004, 20:47
also the title is I'd do anything for love (but I wont do that) not I'll do anything for love. If someone is going to say itas the third worst song ever at lest get the name correct.

AnneV
23 Dec 2004, 21:45
Radio 2 in Holland sends out the *Top 2000 of all time* every year non-stop between Christmas and new year. In my recollection, Meat has never been out of the top 10!! Paradise is once again in there, this year at nr. 5! And thats using countless thousands of voters as a poll! So who cares what just one thousand think. We know what we like! lol :)

Gez
25 Dec 2004, 11:31
Maybe we'll get the 'Dick Advocat' rap soon then :wink:

Ja
04 Jan 2005, 13:48
how culd day say dis?? its a outrage!! meat's song is 1 of da best!! it shuldnt b put in with these 'CRAP' pathetic songs!! all meat's songs have tru meanings, the otha's listed r jus all B****CKS!!! day aint got a decent meanin bhind em, complete cack in my opinion!!

Pudding
04 Jan 2005, 22:06
how culd day say dis?? its a outrage!! meat's song is 1 of da best!! it shuldnt b put in with these 'CRAP' pathetic songs!! all meat's songs have tru meanings, the otha's listed r jus all B****CKS!!! day aint got a decent meanin bhind em, complete cack in my opinion!!

And thank you for your opinion, a little difficult to read but in general I agree.

Pud :twisted:

Ja
04 Jan 2005, 22:08
no problem! :)