PDA

View Full Version : Meat Loaf in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang the Musical

rockfenris2005
04 Nov 2004, 22:51
Broadway.com are saying Meat Loaf is in talks to play the Child Catcher in the Broadway production of CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG. Like WOW!!!

Check it out: www.broadway.com (headlines)

rockfenris2005
04 Nov 2004, 22:53
Meat Loaf In Talks to Play Chitty's Evil Child Catcher

Will we have a bat out of hell on Broadway? Singer/actor Meat Loaf is in negotiations to play the sinister Child Catcher in the upcoming Broadway production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, a representative for the actor confirmed to Broadway.com.

Meat Loaf, who was born Michael Lee Aday, was appearing in a tour of Hair when he recorded his first album (called Stoney and Meat Loaf) in 1971. His other theatrical acting credits include the Broadway musicals Rockabye Hamlet and The Rocky Horror Show (he also notably appeared in the film version, The Rocky Horror Picture Show) and off-Broadway productions of the gospel musical Rainbow, Othello, As You Like It and Black and White. In the mid-1970s, Meat Loaf was cast in Jim Steinman's musical More Than You Deserve. The meeting between Meat Loaf and Steinman proved to be an important one; Steinman went on to write the music for Meat Loaf's 1977 album Bat Out of Hell, which made him a huge star in the recording world. His subsequent recordings include Dead Ringer, Midnight at the Lost and Found, Bad Attitude, Blind Before I Stop, Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell, Welcome to the Neighborhood, Live Around the World and Fallen Angel. In addition to The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Meat Loaf has acted in numerous other films, including Dead Ringer, Out of Bounds, Wayne's World, The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag, Leap of Faith, Spice World, The Mighty, Crazy in Alabama, Fight Club, Focus, The Car Kid and The Salton Sea.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the musical adaptation of the 1968 movie of the same name, centers on an eccentric inventor, Caractacus Potts, who has a flying car. Though Potts is happy just using the special car for family trips, others have more sinister aims, including the Baron and Baroness of Vulgaria and their evil henchman, the Child Catcher, who are all desperately trying to steal the automobile. Interestingly, Meat Loaf's Rocky Horror co-star Richard O'Brien originated the role of the Child Catcher in the West End production of the show.

Adapted for the stage from Ian Fleming's original text by Jeremy Sams, the musical Chitty features a score by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman, who wrote the film's songs. Adrian Noble directs and Gillian Lynne choreographs. The musical will begin previews at Broadway's Ford Center for the Performing Arts on March 29, 2005 in preparation for an April 28, 2005 opening. No casting has been confirmed for the production, but we previously reported Raúl Esparza, Philip Bosco, Erin Dilly, Marc Kudisch and Jan Maxwell are all in negotiations to appear in the cast.

rockfenris2005
04 Nov 2004, 22:54
Couldn't Have Said it Better isn't mentioned among the albums :-(

Vickip
05 Nov 2004, 02:54
Couldn't Have Said it Better isn't mentioned among the albums :-(

I can't believe I missed that when I read the article :(

But it sounds very cool !! I hope it works out for Meat ... I'm always ready to go see a great show on Broadway :))

Vicki

RoknRollJesus
05 Nov 2004, 14:04
I'm right there with ya Vicki...I smell a road trip coming!

jo

AndyK
05 Nov 2004, 14:04
This is an excellent show, and Meat will go down a storm as the child cacher if he does land the part! Saw it in London last year and really enjoyed it.

greg
05 Nov 2004, 15:10
one thing for sure my little girl is only 6 , & she loves meat to bits , she won't be watching it ,she cry her little heart out, best keep it quite from her .lol

Di
05 Nov 2004, 15:58
But it sounds very cool !! I hope it works out for Meat ... I'm always ready to go see a great show on Broadway :))

Vicki

You are SO lucky to be on that side of the country. ;) Am I jealous or what?

This is great news to wake up to! :D But does this mean the day job can be to record Bat III? ;)

No mention of Michael Ball the original Caractacus Potts in negotiations, darn. I missed seeing it with him in London just barely, and I think he is a total doll. (Love those dimples and the man can sing like an angel...) That would be the clincher to hop a plane on some Friday night red eye. ;)

Puts Meat in New York... that sounds like a productive place to be to me. :D

Di
... smiling at the news and wishing Meat all the best!! :)

tbuck
05 Nov 2004, 16:50

jo

Oh yeah!

T :D

KebLou
05 Nov 2004, 20:22
I will be there if he's in it.

needmoremeat
05 Nov 2004, 21:19
Why oh why is there a huge stretch of water between me and New York?! :cry:
Who's the UK got as the child catcher?????!!!!!!!!! Stephen friggin gately!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Vickip
05 Nov 2004, 23:52

jo

Absolutely jo :))
Vicki

Vickip
05 Nov 2004, 23:56

Vicki

You are SO lucky to be on that side of the country. ;) Am I jealous or what?

This is great news to wake up to! :D But does this mean the day job can be to record Bat III? ;)

No mention of Michael Ball the original Caractacus Potts in negotiations, darn. I missed seeing it with him in London just barely, and I think he is a total doll. (Love those dimples and the man can sing like an angel...) That would be the clincher to hop a plane on some Friday night red eye. ;)

Puts Meat in New York... that sounds like a productive place to be to me. :D

Di
... smiling at the news and wishing Meat all the best!! :)

Right you are Di .. I'm very lucky to be living on the East Coast :)
I was wondering exactly the same thing about Bat III .... and New York is the place for Meat to be :)

Vicki ... also wishing Meat all the best !!

Vickip
06 Nov 2004, 00:01
This is an excellent show, and Meat will go down a storm as the child cacher if he does land the part! Saw it in London last year and really enjoyed it.

Just out of curiousity Andy ... since you've already seen the show in London ... do you remember any of the details :??: This sounds like a great part for him .. would he be on stage a lot or sing very many songs :??:

Thanks
Vicki

Heli
06 Nov 2004, 00:29
I played the toy maker when I was about 11! And I was a pretty darn good one too! I helped save those kids from the nasty Baron and Baroness! Muhahahaha!! :D

Although Meat will definatly be a bigger Child Catche, i'm sure he'll do great!!

Di
06 Nov 2004, 17:15
Right you are Di .. I'm very lucky to be living on the East Coast :)
I was wondering exactly the same thing about Bat III .... and New York is the place for Meat to be :)

Vicki ... also wishing Meat all the best !!

Well....

I got out my program from when I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in London to refresh my memory. Unless they beef up the role he is taking, he will probably have more than enough energy and voice to work on Bat III during the day. :(

The Childcatcher appears only in the Second Act. He is in Scene 19 in which he has his only solo musical number. I do not see him listed in any other scene, but I am sure he makes a few other brief appearances if I remember correctly.

In the credits he is listed sixth ahead of the Toymaker so it is considered one of the larger roles.

I think this may have a chance to be even more effective on Broadway than at the London Palladium because of the layout of the theatres on Broadway. In London the theatre is quite steep in the seating layout, and when the car flies a portion of the audience is not even looking up at it.

From what I remember the show followed the film quite closely...

Very exciting. :)

Lucky you....

:D

Di

Pudding
06 Nov 2004, 21:41
Just out of curiousity Andy ... since you've already seen the show in London ... do you remember any of the details :??: This sounds like a great part for him .. would he be on stage a lot or sing very many songs :??:

I saw the show earlier this year as well when I did my big trip back to the UK.

I always thought the part of the child catcher requires more of a skinny weedy looking person but I suppose anyone could do the role. The part of the child catcher was played by Lionel Blair and he did a great job. The child catcher isn't in the show in the first half from what I remember and he doesn't sing that many songs. In fact the child catcher isn't in the show much at all, so anyone wanting to see Meat in most of the show will be very dissappointed. When the child catcher does come on stage though he is a scene stealer, so this would probably suit Meat down to the ground.

If Meat does do the show and anyone does go to see it, don't be surprised if Meat gets booed and hissed while on stage, that's meant to happen. The child catcher isn't a nice character and it isn't a direct reflection towards Meat Loaf, just play along.

Pud :twisted:

Vickip
06 Nov 2004, 22:39
Thanks for the info Di & Pud :)
Definitely sounds like a great show !
Vicki

Di
07 Nov 2004, 14:32
Hi Vicki,

Being so close, you should go see this even if Meat doesn't take the role. :D It is a lovely show, and quite different from most of the fare having been served on Broadway in recent years. I have a feeling the children of New York are going to be thrilled. ;)

Vickip
07 Nov 2004, 17:07
Hi Vicki,

Being so close, you should go see this even if Meat doesn't take the role. :D It is a lovely show, and quite different from most of the fare having been served on Broadway in recent years. I have a feeling the children of New York are going to be thrilled. ;)

Hi Di

Absolutely. I was thinking exactly the same thing :)
The show will be so amazing ... I can't wait to see it. I hope it's a big hit in New York, whether or not Meat's involved. The last show I saw on Broadway was Phantom Of The Opera and it was absolutely wonderful .... I just love the entire atmosphere.

Vicki

Di
08 Nov 2004, 08:07
Hi Di

The show will be so amazing ... I can't wait to see it. I hope it's a big hit in New York, whether or not Meat's involved. The last show I saw on Broadway was Phantom Of The Opera and it was absolutely wonderful .... I just love the entire atmosphere.

Vicki

Which Phantom did you see Vicki? I was a very big fan of this show myself, and have seen it in Los Angeles, New York and London. The last show I saw on Broadway however was Dance of the Vampires, and I am still recovering from the shock. ;)

Manhattan has so much energy! One of the most cosmopolitan cities in our country... it breaths on it's own. One of the two places on the planet where theatre is in the heartbeat...

Di
... who was totally cheered up this evening by Meat's good news on Bat III!

Vickip
09 Nov 2004, 03:55
[quote=Vickip]
Hi Di

Vicki

Which Phantom did you see Vicki? I was a very big fan of this show myself, and have seen it in Los Angeles, New York and London. The last show I saw on Broadway however was Dance of the Vampires, and I am still recovering from the shock. ;)

Isn't this terrible .. I can't remember when I actually saw it 8O
but it was proably 6 or 7 years ago now. I went with my next door neighbor, a teacher, who was taking her class there on a field trip. I don't remember who played the lead then .. but it wasn't Michael Crawford. I would have loved to have seen him :) All of the singers did a wonderful job, and I really enjoyed the music and all of the pagentry.

I've never seen Dance Of The Vampires .. but I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Manhattan has so much energy! One of the most cosmopolitan cities in our country... it breaths on it's own. One of the two places on the planet where theatre is in the heartbeat...

Di
... who was totally cheered up this evening by Meat's good news on Bat III!

Right you are :)
Vicki

Pudding
09 Nov 2004, 08:07
I don't remember who played the lead then .. but it wasn't Michael Crawford. I would have loved to have seen him :)

Yeah, after what he did to Dance Of The Vampires I'd love to see Michael Crawford as well :evil: Preferably down a dark alley with a shovel in my hand 8O

Di
09 Nov 2004, 13:34
Isn't this terrible .. I can't remember when I actually saw it 8O
but it was proably 6 or 7 years ago now. I went with my next door neighbor, a teacher, who was taking her class there on a field trip. I don't remember who played the lead then .. but it wasn't Michael Crawford. I would have loved to have seen him :) All of the singers did a wonderful job, and I really enjoyed the music and all of the pagentry.

I've never seen Dance Of The Vampires .. but I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

I just came to the realization that we have drifted sadly off topic. ;) So will pull it a bit back on while conversing a bit more on the subject of DOTV. ;)

I think it is so great that a musical like Chitty is going to Broadway. I never understood why there seems to be a need for "trends" and the mindset that only a certain type of musical will appeal currently. There are enough diversified people in this world to support any work of quality and marketability... why clone other successes if yours has something to offer standing on it's own? Btw, that is exactly what happened to Dance of the Vampires if I were to be asked... and it was a sad failure in my opinion for not staying true to itself. ;) Music was fabulous though... but I could be just a tad biased in that direction. ;)

Has anyone heard any further on Meat signing for the show? I am still trying to picture him in the role, somehow his face always seems too kind to me. ;) I need to take a visit over to some old Broadway stomping grounds and check out the buzz. 8)

Di

Pudding
09 Nov 2004, 20:21
I heard the producers of the show are also in talks with Michael Jackson to play the Child Catcher :? But will not make a decision until the outcome of his court case.

Di
09 Nov 2004, 21:00
8O

:lol:

I went over to All That Chat during my lunch, good gosh it has been a while since I have visited there. 8O

Pretty interesting discussion on CCBB. ;)

Here is a shortened excerpt from one discussion...

"As for Meat Loaf, however... I cannot see it. The Child Catcher has always been on the thin side.... Richard O'Brien originated the role on the stage in London, and he's tall and thin as a rail... and was properly menacing. As in the film, the character dances around on the stage while singing his one song (new to the stage production). Anyone know how well Meat Loaf can dance?"

Will leave the link but these discussions tend to go fast over there and off the board in just days.... ;)
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/display_message.php?id=67254

I know the new Child Catcher in London, Wayne Sleep, was a dancer with the Royal Ballet... but I honestly cannot remember the role being heavily dance inclined. More like a bunch of prancing around I believe. ;) And this is also correct in that the character has only one song, but certainly they can adapt the role for Meat's talents.

But get this, "according to "Parade" magazine, Dick Van Dyke was asked to play Grandfather Potts but didn't want to take on a long Broadway run. "

Woe is me!!! I would LOVE to see him on stage! Add in Michael Ball (who also reportedly did not want to spend a large amount of time on this side of the pond) and I might have needed to rent a vacation home for a couple of weeks. ;)

Di

needmoremeat
09 Nov 2004, 21:46
I don't remember who played the lead then .. but it wasn't Michael Crawford. I would have loved to have seen him :)

Yeah, after what he did to Dance Of The Vampires I'd love to see Michael Crawford as well :evil: Preferably down a dark alley with a shovel in my hand 8O

Here here! :twisted: I'll bring a pointy stick! :wink: :twisted:

Vickip
10 Nov 2004, 05:11
I heard the producers of the show are also in talks with Michael Jackson to play the Child Catcher :? But will not make a decision until the outcome of his court case.

I heard they were also talking to Boy George ... but Michael Jackson 8O
Vicki

Di
10 Nov 2004, 13:43
Vicki

Boy George? 8O

Holy Cow

But Vicki... I think you have naught to worry on Michael Jackson being added to this production. ;) He has already been tried for the role. ;)

Di
... off to do a search on Boy George now....

Vickip
10 Nov 2004, 16:53
Vicki

Boy George? 8O

Holy Cow

But Vicki... I think you have naught to worry on Michael Jackson being added to this production. ;) He has already been tried for the role. ;)

Di
... off to do a search on Boy George now....

Right you are about Michael Jackson :roll:
But I actually see Boy George doing it .....
Vicki

Di
10 Nov 2004, 22:57
Right you are about Michael Jackson :roll:
But I actually see Boy George doing it .....
Vicki

*Di has an evil moment*

Can’cha just see him shuffle-dancing across the stage in a long black frock and big black hat, peeking out at the audience from under his lashes and singing to the hiding children in Vulgaria... “Do you really want to hurt me… Do you really want to make me cryyyyiiyy?” ;)

*Bad Di*
… who really really tried not to… and thinks perhaps they should stick with Meat. 8) hehe

Deb
11 Nov 2004, 00:05

I saw the show earlier this year as well when I did my big trip back to the UK.

I always thought the part of the child catcher requires more of a skinny weedy looking person but I suppose anyone could do the role. The part of the child catcher was played by Lionel Blair and he did a great job. The child catcher isn't in the show in the first half from what I remember and he doesn't sing that many songs. In fact the child catcher isn't in the show much at all, so anyone wanting to see Meat in most of the show will be very dissappointed. When the child catcher does come on stage though he is a scene stealer, so this would probably suit Meat down to the ground.

If Meat does do the show and anyone does go to see it, don't be surprised if Meat gets booed and hissed while on stage, that's meant to happen. The child catcher isn't a nice character and it isn't a direct reflection towards Meat Loaf, just play along.

well a skinny weed puts Wacko in the running lol. I'd love to see Meat in the role though. Looks like the theatre is the way to go for Meat and the band lately. Keb, we could be busy :D