PDA

View Full Version : Bandaid/Liveaid?

GeoffM2
22 Oct 2004, 20:24
A whole host of big names are lining up to record what is supposed to be this year's Christmas #1 single. Has ML any plans to join them - you know, get some additional high profile work while helping good causes?

As before, this is for the people of Africa... I sincerely hope the record does well for their benefit!

Geoff M.

dottie
23 Oct 2004, 16:39
A DVD of the 1985 Live Aid concert is being released on November 7th. The four disc collection shows the entire day's action as it went out live around the world. It also includes the Band Aid video, behind the scenes footage and documentaries.

Do you remember where you were ?- I do - On my way to Camber Sands for a weeks break with some friends - One of those indelible days that wil always live on in our memories....

Deb
23 Oct 2004, 17:11
I watched it live as well Dottie :D

Not sure if the new release is the whole thing though :? I read it was 10 hrs of stuff and I;m sure it was 16 hrs or so, think thats what i have on video anyway, could be wrong though lol. Its on my xmas pressy list. The original broadcaste went wrong in places i;m guessing they will of managed to fix that.

Deb

Chris
23 Oct 2004, 22:21
From someone who is working on the release:

One band (not sure if it is Led Zop or GnR - i can't remember who he said) has refused permission for their set to be shown as they thought they did badly.

Some of in-between songs bits have been edited out and also some of the mistakes.

Also the audio on some bits wasn't good enough for the rerelease.

Back on topic - did Meat take part in LiveAid? I was 4 at the time so can't remember!!!!!

And to answer the original question, AFAIK Meat isn't in the Xmas group. I have a list somewhere of the artists taking part. Will try and find it!!

Deb
23 Oct 2004, 22:25
No Meat didnt and come to think of it I didn't think GNR did either :?

Chris
23 Oct 2004, 22:50
Must be led Zeppelin then (i think) it is definitely one of the big rock bands!!

AndrewG
24 Oct 2004, 12:55
What I thought was a bit disappointing was that Bruce Springsteen did not play Live Aid at the UK show. He was in the UK at the time and they even held the show on a specific date to make sure he was not doing any shows of his own tour himself. :-(

Having said all this I know that some artists were not that happy with the show and their performance afterwards notably Phil Collins, who said in an interview that he felt it was kind of embarassing.

And yes Led Zeppelin's set will not be included on the DVDs.

Lots of Live Aid info can be found here:
http://www.live-aid.info/

AndyK
26 Oct 2004, 00:12
It's a shame that the Led Zep set won't be included in the DVD, from what I remember it was pretty darn good - mind you I was on one of my brothers stag nights that night (that's one of my two brothers many stag nights!).

If I remember rightly (and after nearly 20yrs things do get a little hazy)Meat was in Australia at the time of the Live Aid shows - either touring or recovering from breaking his leg - so he wouldn't have been able to play at either the London or Philly show. He made an appearance at Knebworth not long after though as one of the bill leading up to Deep Purples record breaking show.

Weissheim
27 Oct 2004, 17:00
One band (not sure if it is Led Zop or GnR - i can't remember who he said) has refused permission for their set to be shown as they thought they did badly.

It's undoubtedly Zeppelin. G'N'R didn't exist in 85. Zeppelin were not particularly impressive that day, although I think it's pretty shabby of them not to let their footage be included.

Some of in-between songs bits have been edited out and also some of the mistakes.

There was a loss of picture during "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who - I hope that's restored. There were also occasional problems with microphones - Geldof's during the Boomtown Rats' set and McCartney's during Let It Be.

I hope they've cut Bob Dylan/Ronnie Wood/Keith Richards out - that was painful! :) (or was that Farm Aid?)

Weissheim
27 Oct 2004, 17:02
He made an appearance at Knebworth not long after though as one of the bill leading up to Deep Purples record breaking show.

Yes, with leg still in plaster! I was there. Don't think Meat will have particularly fond memories of that day.

AndyK
27 Oct 2004, 20:48
He made an appearance at Knebworth not long after though as one of the bill leading up to Deep Purples record breaking show.

Yes, with leg still in plaster! I was there. Don't think Meat will have particularly fond memories of that day.

To be honest I don't have the fondest of memories of that day either... knee deep in mud, seeing Meat being booed and bottled by an unapprecaitive crowd, soaked to the skin and having help to push our coach out of the mud bath that masqueraded as a car park and then endure a very damp 6 journey home.

Highlights of the day remain in my memory though - seeing meat play despite the odds stacked against him, nearly being run over by Meat and the band in their tour bus as they arrived, oh and Deep Purple were pretty good too!

Deb
27 Oct 2004, 20:50

It's undoubtedly Zeppelin. G'N'R didn't exist in 85. Zeppelin were not particularly impressive that day, although I think it's pretty shabby of them not to let their footage be included.

There was a loss of picture during "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who - I hope that's restored. There were also occasional problems with microphones - Geldof's during the Boomtown Rats' set and McCartney's during Let It Be.

I hope they've cut Bob Dylan/Ronnie Wood/Keith Richards out - that was painful! :) (or was that Farm Aid?)

I think that was farm aid. Dont remember it on liive aid but could be wrong

My videos go wrong through Phil Collins set as well I think

Deb

Weissheim
28 Oct 2004, 11:55

To be honest I don't have the fondest of memories of that day either... knee deep in mud, seeing Meat being booed and bottled by an unapprecaitive crowd, soaked to the skin and having help to push our coach out of the mud bath that masqueraded as a car park and then endure a very damp 6 journey home.

Highlights of the day remain in my memory though - seeing meat play despite the odds stacked against him, nearly being run over by Meat and the band in their tour bus as they arrived, oh and Deep Purple were pretty good too!

Pretty much the same experience as you (bar the coach/bus scenarios). But Purple made it worthwhile - I've still got some great memories of that day.

Tim
29 Oct 2004, 23:08
Don't think ML will join that.... on the dutch radio they said that artists from late time (so younger artists, more populair artists) are in for that.

Would be great to have ML doing that song.