PDA

View Full Version : meat vs bruce

ChrisBelfast
11 Oct 2004, 17:52
http://www.suck.com/daily/2000/06/26/daily.html

what do people make of this? i dont quite know myself :?

Cult Of Byron
12 Oct 2004, 20:02
Hmmm, bit of a tricky one really...

Seems that the writer (it has to be pointed out as early as poss) is referring to Meat not as a man but as a rock star/celebrity/symbol. This seems an obvious thing to say but then Meat Loaf is a performance isn't he? So Bruce Springsteen, in all his slim majesty (alongside Keith Richards despite his excesses), represent everything that overweight, middle-age America could be. That fat in the realm of celebrity/iconland conversely represents something hideous, perhaps the hidden, unwanted side of everyday life that is the very reason we go to a Meat Loaf concert or put on a Meat Loaf record - in order to escape it. That Meat Loaf somehow throws our own physical failings back in our face when what we want to see is a "streetwise Hercules", maybe? It is unclear whether this is the viewpoint of the writer or not, but I do not think this is necessarily a bad thing. Is anyone else sick of seeing supermodel rock-stars with designer geek-boy fringes? I for one can no longer see past this into the music, which may be the point - is all this new geek-boy rock music for the eyes rather than the ears? The music is not at all amusing, not even when it is trying to be, it's gone too far up the rectum of the past and is too busy laughing at it's own jokes.

Cult Of Byron
15 Oct 2004, 01:09
I think what I was trying to say (although maybe not very well) was that we go to A concert or put on A record in order to escape the RELATIVE failings of our own mundane lives, to live vicariously through the performer who is slaying metaphorical dragons and getting the girl/guy FOR US. That the writer of that article is questioning whether it is a good or bad thing whether we, looking for a hero, instead find our failed/failing selves. (Failed in relation to rock/fairytale heroics)

Cult Of Byron
01 Nov 2004, 01:35
I'm sorry but why has no one replied to this? Chris has made a VERY interesting post, does it not deserve anymore attention than one thicko?

Cult Of Byron
17 Oct 2005, 03:24
Still no one has replied to a post that addresses the very heart of why we are Meat Loaf fans...?!?

Bat out of Friesland
17 Oct 2005, 11:02
Well, I'm Meat Loaf fan, because I love his music.
But I don't know anything about Meat Loaf himself.
That's why I'm at this forum.

Ma.Ra
17 Oct 2005, 12:45
First, it was hard for me to understand this english and my english ist not good :oops: ;)

But it seems that this "human beeing" as known as the writer of this article is a Bruce Springsteen fan:evil:

It was already said: Would I the whole reality in all the songs how Mr. Springsteen do it? (And I call him not the BOSS,'cause I don't know from where it come and why the f... he is called Boss?)
I heard some songs from him and read a little bit lyrics from Springsteen. When I want to listen music, I want to listen music which may touch my heart/soul and not my mind!:twisted: And Meat's voice does that perfectly:!:

And the writer said, that Meat plays only classic songs like bat1. WT. is with BOOH2???
I prefer less very good songs than 250+ average songs.

And Jim Steinman is a known songwriter. Does somebody know Mr. S's songwriter? no.

At the end: Sorry, but Meat is the better singer, mainly his various and emotional voice:twisted:

Jaymze
17 Oct 2005, 18:08
Meat Loaf doesn't sell image he sells music- the very best music I've ever heard at that.

AndrewG
17 Oct 2005, 18:24
Springsteen writes all his own songs (well like 95% or so), that's part of his remarkable career, that he has written something like 300 songs (I would think Springsteen is a lot more popular on this planet than Steinman, macrapper, but that does not mean that he is better, that is ultimately a personal view). Steinman was very much influenced by Springsteen when he wrote "Bat out of Hell", but also that does not mean there would not have been a Bat without Springsteen.
I think Springsteen's music is, like Steinman's songs, amazing and he is a very entertaining performer. But so is Meat Loaf, though he is probably more emotional and I can hardly think of anything that tops his performance of "For Crying out Loud" at the MSO shows.

Springsteen's songs are usually more political than emotional but I've found that although the emotion isn't always there in the words (for instance there are hardly ever lines like "I love you" in his songs) the emotion can be felt in the harshness of the situations. Maybe it is more intellectual, I don't know, but I don't care. All I know is his songs are great too I believe.

Macrapper, he's called the boss cuz he used to pay his band personally (thus hold all the cash etc), that's where that comes from , but it's not referred to as much now as it was back in the eighties I'd say. And it's more a joke, not anything serious.

I like them both and don't think they are mutually exclusive at all. They actually like each other also as far as I know, so why should I have to choose, just cuz someone wants me to? No way....

djfierce
18 Oct 2005, 15:35
I find it very difficult to to compare Springsteen to Meat! First and foremost they are two completely different styles of rock. Yes, Springsteen's music is more political but does that make Meat's music less intellectual? I don't think so, I think Springsteen's music can occasionally be so topical that it's hard to relate to, and sometimes sounds like he took a soap box into the studio! If you've argued with your partner,fallen in love, free and single, lonely, happy etc. there is definately a Meat Loaf song you will feel and understand without feeling patronized!

Springsteen has written many many great songs but although he has many more songs under his belt i don't really believe he has more truly great songs than Meat, the old saying about quality and quantity is definately true here.

Also Meat is not exclusively tied to Steinman! While Steinman wrote many great classics for Meat, M has performed some fantastic songs with other songwriters,CHSIB album holds a good example of these, while the quality wasn't quite as memorable as BOOH or IWDAFL, they still hold true to Meat's ability to perform.
Note:The author of that article obviously has never been to a Meat Loaf concert if they seriously think that Meat's sweat is not down to working hard on stage.

Bono has enough self rightousness for all rock stars and actually does something instead of making money from just observing and writing songs.I would much rather listen to an artist that represents my life and emotions than someone who takes advantage of the public emotions to a particular occurance.That said i like Springsteen's music to a certain extent, i just think he's a little overated!

RoknRollJesus
18 Oct 2005, 16:56
I find it very difficult to to compare Springsteen to Meat! First and foremost they are two completely different styles of rock.

Agree. I would never belittle another's loyalty to an artist. If that is what you like, then go ahead. Personally, I have never been able to be a 'fan' of Springsteen. Yes, I have even seen the 'live' show a couple of times...so I can honestly say that I tried...but I felt that I either could not relate to anything he was singing about or I just flat out did not enjoy the music -bottom line.

I would much rather listen to an artist that represents my life and emotions than someone who takes advantage of the public emotions to a particular occurance.That said i like Springsteen's music to a certain extent, i just think he's a little overated!

I agree here too. Certain artists gain my loyalty immediately because I can relate to what they are singing and/or find something very personal in the music. I can't get past the message (whether it is political or social) in Springsteen's music and for me, that is a dissatisfier.

This line from the article sums it up for me: "Meat Loaf has always been a better rock star." Meat's music (regardless of the writer) has never seemed burdened by politics, social mistrust or economic failures.....its straight-forward rock n roll...I don't go to shows or buy albums to fine-tune my political/social beliefs.

And for the whole "weight" argument...I hate to say it but it seems to have always been more socially acceptable for an artist (or anyone) to be taken more seriously if they fit the "standard"...lucky for Bruce that he's not overweight eh?

AndrewG
18 Oct 2005, 18:24
Although I like music from Meat Loaf and Springsteen pretty much equally I do think Springsteen has a great way of doing his shows. He plays so many rarities at each show that you can easily go to 10 shows in a row and witness 5 hours+ in varying material. I would think it would be amazing if Meat followed that style a little more. But this is just my personal preference.
Having said that Meat Loaf's great dramatic performances are certainly worth several views!

PanicLord
18 Oct 2005, 22:23
A lot of Springsteen's songs are very good. "Sherry Darling" is a great bit of rock and roll. But I don't feel emotions from his singing or songwriting, and that's what I love about Meat Loaf, and especially Meat Loaf with Jim Steinman. Some of their songs are great rock n rollers (DRFL, PBTDL), and some are like classical music played by a rock band (IGLHFBOU is my favourite song in the world, closely followed by REAW). The thing that makes Meat's singing so magical for me is that he seems to really BELIEVE in what he's singing. If you don't know what I mean by that, listen to Barry Manilow's version of REAW. He hits all the notes, and it's a great song. But next to Meat's version, it is (to me) appalling - he does not invest anything in the song, and instead of bringing tears to my eyes through the emotional impact of the song, I cry because I should have been listening to Meat.

Anyway, that's my 2p worth. And I cannot WAIT for BOOH3.

PanicLord
18 Oct 2005, 22:24
OMG!! I have just seen that I have posted 289 posts (290 now lol). I really need to spend more time with my fiancé :)

mark999
02 Nov 2005, 23:41
Why am I a Meat Loaf fan? wow what a difficult question. I could analyse it all night, meats songs really do seem to tell my story, or is it the wonderfull singing talent that is re-invented with every new album. It is really difficult to define but for me the defining moment was At the NEC in Birmingham I had no idea he had collapsed on stage the night before and yes he looked really ill but he did not let his fans down, 2 1/2 hours without a break and what a great concert.
Meat vs Springsteen well I'm definitely a Meat Loaf fan, my Mate Karl is in a very succesfull Springsteen tribute band who's reviews say they are very close to the real thing. I Personally don't think any Meat Loat tribute has or will ever come close.

KebLou
03 Nov 2005, 16:29
Meat Loaf and Bruce Springsteen are different artists. I listen to both and I wouldn't say I was either of their biggest fan, but all the same I am a fan of them. Bruce's words are completely different to Meat's. Most of Meat's songs are first and foremost about sex, not all but I would find it hard to think of one that wasn't, Bruce's aren't. They are about living in society, about mistakes made and not making the same mistakes and a lot of them are political.

Winston
03 Nov 2005, 20:56
Most of Meat's songs are first and foremost about sex, not all but I would find it hard to think of one that wasn't, Bruce's aren't.

You might want to listen to Reno and Blinded by the Light again :lmao:

Space Monkey
03 Nov 2005, 21:20
Yeah... Reno's pretty explicit!!!

Tim
04 Nov 2005, 22:45
Most of Meat's songs are first and foremost about sex, not all but I would find it hard to think of one that wasn't, Bruce's aren't. They are about living in society, about mistakes made and not making the same mistakes and a lot of them are political.

Do think that is not true, or half true. Do think that ML's lyrics are a fantasy / character based lyric. More about feeling described in an poetic way. Bruces lysrics are indeed more about life and politics.

There's no way you can compare that.

KebLou
07 Nov 2005, 17:15

Oh yeah, I always forget those two, but they aren't the majority of his songs.

Paul191
27 Nov 2005, 20:42
I like both of them but, when i listen to a song i like to hear emotion. Never have a heard an artist that conveys as much emotion in his songs as Meat Loaf. Sprigsteen = great music but if you see him live and look at his face when singing his more emotional songs, he looks as if hes having a ball.