PDA

View Full Version : 15. Everything Is Permitted

White of High
03 Oct 2002, 23:41
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic. Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Everything Is Permitted (6)

Well, I can't place it to the Steinman's song. I know that Jim want to live in freedom, but this song seems to me like a fight for the anarchia. It's OK! Maybe this word a little bit "hard". I feel this freedom as not same as in Bat Out Of Hell.

The music too soft for the story. I don't like this song - it's my opinion!
Sorry Tim, but it is maximum...

My score: 6

Average: 7.08 (70.8/10)

Tim
04 Oct 2002, 09:32
Well okay White of Heigh. Don't apologize. It's your opinion, just that's my opinion that i think that you grade it to low. :lol:

No, but i see what you mean. But the strange thing about this song, is that i see all sort of images in my head, when i listen to this song. So i think it's very powerfull in that way.
But i've to agree with you that it's a very soft of music, but that's no problem, cause the visual aspect is great.

I would give it an 7.3 :P

The Flying Mouse
04 Oct 2002, 10:24
:twisted: Every time I answer one of these song topics,I listen to the relevent song.I listend to this song three times.
The reason is that the meaning is so obscure.I think with Everything Is Permitted,each listner is supposed to find their own meaning.
To me it's a song about the end of the world.All the clocks are showing zero,all the compass points are zero.The world is being put back to it's original setting(for lack of a better way of putting it).There are plenty of lyrics in the song that flush my theory down the plug hole,but it's just my interpritation.
I like this song a lot.As Tim says it really conjours up plenty of visual images.I also like the simplicity.Meat's voice really shines through and the simple drum beat really adds to the mood.
8/10 Deffinatly Permitted
P.S.There is only one line of the song that I disagree with.
We just never had no heroes.We've got one hero.
I wonder who that could be :wink: .

Michel
04 Oct 2002, 20:03
Good song.

It is slow, and there are nice background vocals. It isn't the song i always listen to, it isn't maybe jim's best song, but it isn't bad.

My score: 7

Shane
12 Oct 2002, 13:48
When I listen to this song, it always makes me think of the novel Lord Of The Flies (that's NOT Lord of the Rings). Does anyone know the novel? I read it a few years ago, and this song seems to fit with it.

Testify
05 Jul 2003, 19:54
i like this one. 8/10

Evan
07 Jul 2003, 10:20
Ok, well, it's not my favorite song from "Dead Ringer" but Jim had written well before he'd written the other "DR" songs. It was planned to be put on Meat's follow up to "Bat". Song is ok, i love the musical chourus towards the end. Not my favorite Steinman song but I still find myself listening to it a lot.

6.5/10

Jayd
07 Jul 2003, 12:42
Good song, I give it 7/10 :D

Quigmo
17 Sep 2003, 08:07
Yet another disapointing Dead Ringer song.
I just can't stand the sound of this album. A fitting end to a disappointing Album. 3/10

RSG
07 Nov 2003, 00:07
Dead Ringer is my least liked album of Meat's. I rate it with an 8.5\10.

I do like this song, I'd give it a 9\10. I like the music to it, and the vocals, and I'm trying to get a clear understanding of the song. I feel that it is better than Lost Boys & Golden Girls. my opinion. But not better than For Crying Out Loud. Great song on a good alum by an incredible singer written by a very smart songwriter.

Craig
08 Nov 2003, 22:59
For those struggling a bit with the meaning of this song, I also was slightly lost with it for a few years, but I am now very convinced that it is about coming of age, i.e. when you turn 18 or 21 and you can do as you wish. Relisten to it with this in mind and you will see...

"And all the parents must have fled..."

Woman of Steel
08 Nov 2003, 23:35
That album wasn't exactly what I had expected, but like all Steinman songs, you really have to listen to get the meaning. At least, it takes me a few times to really form my opinion of the song, it always changes. But all in all, it's a good song. :D 7/10

LostSoul
19 Jan 2004, 00:28
I love that song. It's all in crescendo.

As far as the meaning is concerned I've always thought that it was about the human race hability to put limits for everything (e.g. borders and laws...). We all would like Heaven to be on earth but we are aware that anarchy is utopia!

"Everything is permitted"... is kinda irony!

9/10

Bart
19 Jan 2004, 11:52
The guitar solo is great. best part of the song. The song is kinda simple and the lyrics are fabulous. 7/10.

rockfenris2005
26 Jan 2004, 09:28
This song could be a toned-down REVOLUTION IN MUSIC from NEVERLAND. 10/10

Jackoutofhell
19 Jun 2006, 04:36
I've always thought of this as an extremely underrated song. Yes, it's slow, but not to the the point of being draggy, and the lyrics are brilliant. The vocals work well on this album, and I like how he sings without any backing. He should sing solo more often, in my opinion.

PanicLord
19 Jun 2006, 23:24
Dead Ringer is my favourite Meat album, as I think it contains some of the most beautiful and powerful lyrics Jim has ever written, and it is just jam-packed with emotion. Everything Is Permitted is no exception:

"If everything is permitted
If nothing is taboo
Then there is always something shattered
When there is something breaking thru
Then there is always something shattered
When there is something breaking thru
Everything is permitted"

I find very moving. I see this (along with clocks = 0, compass points = 0) as saying even at the very end of all things, when dreams themselves are shattered, there is always something - some little ray of hope - shining through.

Powerful stuff, which I reckon deserves an 8.5/10. That's pretty high for me lol.

Evil One
23 Jan 2007, 23:22
5. Good, but it sounds completely out of whack with the rest of the album.

White of High
25 Jan 2007, 22:39
Average: 6.92 (103.8/15)

RadioMaster
25 Jan 2007, 23:35
I dont know....That song hasnt got anything for me.
Itīs too simple.......itīs boring.
The same way as Cry to Heaven.
Probably my least favourite Steinman Song.

got some good lyrics though

samurai7
26 Jan 2007, 02:49
This is the only song on DR that I took a while to get into. Now I love it.

geordieloaf
26 Jan 2007, 12:20
This is the only song on DR that I took a while to get into. Now I love it.

Agree with you, didn't really get it at first but after listening to it often it kinda grew on me.
7/10

03gills
13 Feb 2007, 13:08
Took a few listens but grew on me, has a lost boys and golden girls vibe to it, the lyrics make me think of neverland, i think that's what this one's about. In that sense doesn't really work with drums or guitar, just piano and softer vocals would suit this one better methinks, although meat's vocals at the time made a softer voice quite difficult

03gills
13 Feb 2007, 13:09
oops forgot to mark! on dead ringer 7/10 but potentially 10/10

florence75015
30 Aug 2009, 16:17
A great song of "Dead Ringer"

9/10

glockenspiel
30 Aug 2009, 17:05
If I had just read the lyrics on a sheet, I would have said, 'Fantastic!'. The track, as is, is a ho-hum slow softie - not even as compelling as the much maligned 'Cry To Heaven'.

Mr. Happy
10 Jun 2012, 12:58
Probably my favourite song off of Dead Ringer. The lyrics are intensely awesome and the music is amazing (one of the best guitar solos ever from Meat, in my opinion). I play this one a lot on the piano, and the second chord in the main progression gets me every time. It's so random, but it sounds so good. Such an awesome song. Gets a 9 from me, right up there with the best of Meat's stuff :P

Also, do the mods have an issue with us bumping these threads back from the depths of the forum? I'm guessing it's fine, considering that's why the links were put in the standing thread, but it's technically necroing, so... :lol:

Monstro
10 Jun 2012, 14:06
Also, do the mods have an issue with us bumping these threads back from the depths of the forum? I'm guessing it's fine, considering that's why the links were put in the standing thread, but it's technically necroing, so... :lol:

We got permission from R to play a bit lol

The Flying Mouse
10 Jun 2012, 18:49

:twisted: My understanding is that thread bumping can be a bit of a pain database wise, so it's not encouraged, but it's not so bad as to go to the trouble of duplicate threads for every song.

Our general rule of thumb when it comes to thread bumping is that if there is something relevant to add to an old thread we're ok with it, but it's bumping an old thread to add "thanks" "I agree" "bump" or "what's this?" (last one just for The Duke there :mrgreen: ) we're not too keen on.

duke knooby
10 Jun 2012, 19:45
whats this?

Paul Richardson
10 Jun 2012, 23:29
Everything Is Permitted is an awesome song, fantastic lyrics - really dark - but sung as a ballad - amazing - hugely underated song.

Evil One
11 Jun 2012, 06:39
Everything Is Permitted is an awesome song, fantastic lyrics - really dark - but sung as a ballad - amazing - hugely underated song.It is, but I also feel it's out of place at the end of Dead Ringer. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the album and should be on something else. :shrug:

Paul Richardson
11 Jun 2012, 06:58
It is, but I also feel it's out of place at the end of Dead Ringer. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the album and should be on something else. :shrug:

It doesn't fit, but only because Dead Ringer doesn't have the range of songs you find on the Bat albums. They seem like the left overs from Bad For Good, and it would have been a very different album had Meat and Jim not swapped Rock & Roll Dreams and Dead Ringer For Love.

I'm guessing though that the songs on Bad For Good / Dead Ringer were written either previously or at the same time, because I can't imagine Jim writing a whole album of new songs for Dead Ringer during the recording / production of Bad For Good ... Jim was never THAT prolific !

Would be good to know for sure though ... anyone ?