PDA

View Full Version : 5. Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

White of High
13 Aug 2002, 00:15
Sorry, in Hungary we had got a little problem with Internet... I try to continue.

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic. Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad (6)

This song doesn't arouse consideable feeling inside. It's too kind to me. It doesn't take after Heaven Can Wait or For Crying Out Loud. Where is the real and famous Steinman-power? The music very good, if you are listening with a girl on beach, but don't follow it with deep attention.

My score: 6

Average: 8.89 (124.5/14) [07/08/05]

Tim
13 Aug 2002, 10:05
Two out of three is a beautifull song. You think that it's to sweet. Man, it's great. The feeling that i get by this song.....

Don't give it a 6, you underestimate the power of this song. It's at least worth a 9.

The Flying Mouse
13 Aug 2002, 16:16
:twisted: Two Out Of Three is such an emotional song,that if it wasn't such an anthem it would be depressing as hell.
The amount of heartbreake Meat puts into this song shows just how versitille he is.When he sings that line"I'll never be able,to give you something,something that i just havn't got",it's like the world could end.
I love singing this song at work because I really let myself go on it,and the reaction it gets is great.
Two Out Of Three by name.
Ten Out Of Ten by nature.

P.S.The version on Meat Loaf Live (Wemberley 1987 on the Arista label) is unbelievable.Meat really pushes the boat out on the high notes.

Michel
13 Aug 2002, 18:20
This is just a great song. It has everything in it. A great intro, a typical Steinman intro. I give it a 8/9, I can't choose.

I have three different versions of the Bat II tour, and they are all great. The solo in the song, and the high note at the end.
That are great Live versions. Now he doesn't the high note at the end anymore.

Meatles
13 Aug 2002, 18:39
Two Out Of Three is a great song! it has the Steinman style, a depressing
song with underlying humor.

1. I want you
2. I need yo
3. But there aint no way I am ever gonna love you

so that means the character in the song can only provide 2 out of the 3
characteristics of a good relationship. Now if anyone reads the lyrics, they would know that it took a lot of thought to write it!

Also Meat always gives his best on this song, my favourite version (vocally) of this song is on the Cleveland Music Hall recording from 1978.

Jaymze
14 Aug 2002, 03:13
I think if Steinman had been a poet his songs would have went down in history- really people should sit back and read them they really are quite complicated and are full of double meanings. I mean if he'd used his songs as poetry he'd be up there with Shakespeare, Milton and Poe.

Meatles
14 Aug 2002, 05:00
Oh Yes!!!! You are so right about the poet theory. I think Steinman would be a mix between Shakespere and Edgar Allan Poe!

ChoccyBat
14 Aug 2002, 22:17
This song is just awesome - the intro, like so many of Steinmans - is so simple yet so powerful. The acoustic version he often does now is very good, but I prefer the full-on powerful version.

Jaymze
15 Aug 2002, 03:06
I think you're right Meatles about the Shaespere and Poe thing, actually The Raven does sound a lot like something Steinman would write.

The Flying Mouse
15 Aug 2002, 20:07
:twisted: Couldn't agree more,Jim is a great poet.
The poems Nocturnal Pleasure'Wasted Youth and the intro to Took The Words are fantastic.
I think it was a very brave move to put poetry on a heavy rock album(it's not exactly an obvious combination) but trust Jim Steinman to not only do it,but to make it work so well.
I'm not that hot on Shakespere(although I would have liked to see Meat's performance),but I do like Edgar Allan Poe.

Premacy
19 Aug 2002, 19:38
The emotional value of 2 out of 3 is great. It really got me. The first time i'd heard it I was allready very pleased with it, but after hearing more often it more and more got me more and it still does every time i hear it.

And for Shakespear?? I think that he could really lurn form Jim at some parts. :D :D

Premacy
19 Aug 2002, 19:40
The emotional value of 2 out of 3 is great. It really got me. The first time i'd heard it I was allready very pleased with it, but after hearing more often it more and more got me more and it still does every time i hear it.

And for Shakespear... I think that he could really lurn form Jim at some parts.... :D :D

Premacy
19 Aug 2002, 19:41

And for Shakespear... I think that he could really lurn form Jim at some parts.... :D :D

Premacy
19 Aug 2002, 19:47
sorry for the many replys, but my computer did a little wierd so excuses for my many replys....

premacy

heat
26 Aug 2002, 09:30
For me, the best time to listen to 2 out of 3 is when i've had an argument with the hubbs, i can get right into the song, and it always makes me bawl :oops: and i realise just how lucky (??) i am to have hubbs. That song has saved our relationship more than once... :lol: .
I think it's definately the combination of steinmans fantastic lyrics and Meat's performance that makes this such a great song, and as for the shakespere comparison....shakespere who??????? 8/10 for me.

Heat
xxx

heat
26 Aug 2002, 09:30
For me, the best time to listen to 2 out of 3 is when i've had an argument with the hubbs, i can get right into the song, and it always makes me bawl :oops: and i realise just how lucky (??) i am to have hubbs. That song has saved our relationship more than once... :lol: .
I think it's definately the combination of steinmans fantastic lyrics and Meat's performance that makes this such a great song, and as for the shakespere comparison....shakespere who??????? 8/10 for me.

Heat
xxx

heat
26 Aug 2002, 09:31

Heat
xxx

heat
26 Aug 2002, 09:33
sorry bout thoses extra posts....methinks puters bout to have a nervous breakdown......perhaps it needs therapy....

Heat
xxx

White of High
11 Dec 2002, 22:43
Anybody's listened this song by Bonnie Tyler?
Hey, Bonnie! What did you do?
It's terrible! 8 and half minutes horible!
Maybe just my ear is not used to techno, but it's aaaaaah!

This version's score: 2 :D

Bart
20 Feb 2003, 13:19
Does anybody knows what he is saying before he starts singing 2 outta 3 on the Live at Wembley CD? I just cannot hear what he is saying and i have this cd already from the first day it came out (thursday, 26th oct '87). So if anybodyu knwos the answer, please reply.

This version of the song is the best i have ever heard. 9/10.

dottie
07 Apr 2003, 18:46
Does anybody knows what he is saying before he starts singing 2 outta 3 on the Live at Wembley CD? I just cannot hear what he is saying and i have this cd already from the first day it came out (thursday, 26th oct '87). So if anybodyu knwos the answer, please reply.

Sounds like" Thank you Tommy Hall" - just found this - having a wander

dottie
07 Apr 2003, 18:49
This is mine and my hubbies song - no one is allowed to dance with when this is played - I have requested this so many times atdances, discos, functions etc., still take my own copy with me in case they do not have it.
I RATE TWO OF THREE 10/10 THE PERFECT RECORD

Bart
07 Apr 2003, 23:05
Thank you Dottie-girl, but why is he saying that? (by the way it was a monday, 26 oct 87).

The Flying Mouse
08 Apr 2003, 00:35
:twisted: Hi Bart.
It says on the album that it was recorded at Wembley Stadium 1 and 2 March 1987.

dottie
08 Apr 2003, 11:50
Thank you Dottie-girl, but why is he saying that? (by the way it was a monday, 26 oct 87).

Lord knows! I do not know if I am correct even - I was there- but still none the wiser

Bart
08 Apr 2003, 22:42
It says on the album that it was recorded at Wembley Stadium 1 and 2 March

Yeah, i know. But i meant the releasedate of the live album. I always remeber releasedates, very funny cause i mostly forget everything. :)

The Flying Mouse
09 Apr 2003, 00:17
Sorry,we were at crossed threads there.
I've listened to the start over and over again but I just can't make out what he's saying :? .

Shadows On The Wall
09 Apr 2003, 18:06
I got the same problem, anyone help us?

P.s. For crying out loud is fantastic, best song ever

dottie
14 Apr 2003, 19:04
I give this song 1 million points the best song meat has ever sung - all up and down the land young uns, old uns slow dance to this. The lyrics are meaniful, the music's melodious and Meats well just Meat when he sings this - Am I allowed to give 1 million points or 10/10 perfect

White of High
14 Apr 2003, 19:10
He-he Dottie!
You have rated one song before!
And that was it...

dottie
14 Apr 2003, 19:28
He-he Dottie!
You have rated one song before!
And that was it...

Oh my god - I am going senile - there coming to take me away ha ha- whats that song Pink Floyd?

Renegade Angel
20 Apr 2003, 20:49
This might be an old thread but I think I know what is said - it sounds like - 'Thank You Very, Very Much - Thank You(pause) it's unusual' - I reckon he is saying it to the rest of the band, sarcastically as he did the same thing every night of the tour.
Thats' my theory and im sticking by it!

JacenSolo
21 Apr 2003, 16:36
2 Out of 3 , in my opinion, is a masterpiece. It has everything that I like about Steinman's writing, all in one place: the humor, the pain, the wistfullness...I'll give it a 9.5/10

Bart
14 May 2003, 14:11
Sorry,we were at crossed threads there.
I've listened to the start over and over again but I just can't make out what he's saying :? .

I have been thinking about it and i think the last word is Goff, you know Amy and Elaine Goff. Maybe he is saying something to one of them.

evil nickname
14 May 2003, 15:36
Doesn't do much for me... it's okay, but it's certainly not my favorite... Maybe it's the country-flavor it has, maybe it's something else, but this song doesn't do it for me. Give me All Revved Up anytime, but I'll pass on this one.
And what's the deal with the fast solo in the live-version? It doesn't fit the song at all... I like the way ity was played in Amsterdam (or on LatW for that matter) better. Acoustic guitar, slowly building to and emotional climax... and no shredding away on the 6-string.

6/10

PS: Isn't it "Thank you... it's all make up" with "make up" as in "we made it all up" or as in "my make-up is all running out with all these hot lights on my face". The first one sounds the most logical imho.

badger
03 Jul 2003, 01:15
One of the all time greatest love songs ever.

Fullstop.

An amazingly emotional:

9/10

Jayd
03 Jul 2003, 10:59
10/10, truly marvellous song :D

Testify
03 Jul 2003, 12:11
i aint done this one :oops:

its a perfik song!! 10/10

mariella
23 Jul 2003, 01:35
Another masterpiece. Timeless and brilliant.

10/10

Mariella

Evan
23 Jul 2003, 02:27
This song is so brillant. Jim's lyrics are incredible in this song. There is just no way to outdue the chorus and you know that Jim and Meat know that it's such a great chorus. I love the song, I love the story behind it, I love everything about it.

10/10

Just for fun I'll rate the song that inspired this one, Elvis Presley's "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You"
10/10
Great vocal performance by Elvis and great lyrics. Elvis was almost in a plane crash days before recording this song but you'd never know it from his superb vocal performance here.

Quigmo
17 Sep 2003, 06:25
I see this as the weakest song on the Album but yet it's perfect. So much emotion written and delivered.
10/10

RadioMaster
08 Jul 2006, 20:13
Itīs good, and all the interesting storys behind the scenes of this song.

Paul191
08 Jul 2006, 21:17

sunneke
08 Jul 2006, 22:25
i can not tell you why, but this song.. yeah!!!!!!!

Ross
13 Jul 2006, 14:24
I like it but it ain't a fav of mine by any means.

Caelan
13 Jul 2006, 19:18
8 out of 10 ain't bad

geordieloaf
23 Nov 2006, 01:15
This song means so much to me on a personal level.
The best yet simplest lines ever written in a song
I can't lie
I can't tell you that i'm something i'm not
No matter how i try
I'll never be able
To give you something
Something that i just haven't got
The only song that really makes me emotional.
10/10

luk.out.of.hell
23 Nov 2006, 10:44
Amazing!
10/10

MeatGrl1
23 Nov 2006, 11:01
I can relate to this bit of the song a hell of alot;

#I can't lie
I can't tell you that I'm something that I'm not
No matter how I try I'll never be able
To give you something
Something that I just haven't got...#

I feel like shouting this part out sometimes, especially at work because not so much now they tended to like to make judgement of my character that wasn't true and I can't be something I'm not, I'm just me:shock:.
Great song!

10/10

allrevvedup
23 Nov 2006, 15:38

'Thank you, it's on You Paul' As in Paul Jacobs who if i'm right played piano and keyboards at that show.

As for the song i think it probably is meat's best. I think the idea of him doing it now sounds much better like an older man looking back on his one true love and how each relationship seems to fade as he compares the current woman to the lost love.

Great song, unlike anything else on BAT 1 which makes it so much better

mszee
23 Nov 2006, 15:48
The amount of heartbreake Meat puts into this song shows just how versitille he is.When he sings that line"I'll never be able,to give you something,something that i just havn't got",it's like the world could end.

It's interesting how BAAB absorb so many references from Bat I album...

One of the references reminds me of the line quoted by FM above...

"I'll never be able,to give you something,something that i just haven't got"

"And I wish that I could give you something in return" from BAAB

Two out of three is a classic...enough said...

mikeloaf
23 Nov 2006, 18:47
10/10 I love this song, really great lyrics. I heard it live at Leeds in 2005, a really great performance. Its a great song.

RSG
29 Nov 2006, 22:26
Two Out Of Three, To Me, is a heart wrenching song. I love listening to the song, while Meat performs it with Jimmy playing on the piano. Very nice song, I love the acoustic guitar in it, It really makes the song all the more.

10\10

robgomm
26 Dec 2006, 20:02
A fantastic emotional song, it's beautiful. I love singing it, what Meat fan doesn't. One of the best. I also love hearing the LATW version, brilliant.

10 out of 10.

JanT
27 Dec 2006, 01:54
Used to be my all time favourite until it got usurped by CHSIB.

10/10

duke knooby
27 Dec 2006, 02:34
well this song is magic, this is the real deal, not the modern cheap imitations so many like (chsib, baab etc lol), its powerful, emotional, dramatic, stupid, funny, and sung/played/produced great. a top tune 9

Monstro
27 Dec 2006, 02:36
well this song is magic, this is the real deal, not the modern cheap imitations so many like (chsib, baab etc lol), its powerful, emotional, dramatic, stupid, funny, and sung/played/produced great. a top tune 9

What else can I say 9/10

samurai7
27 Dec 2006, 03:52

He says "Thankyou. It's on you, Paul!"

Paul is Paul Jacobs, who at the time was piano player in the NLE (and chief songwriter on the Bad Attitude album). He means - go ahead and play the song.

Monstro
27 Dec 2006, 03:56
That is just way too incitive Shaun

djfierce
27 Dec 2006, 15:05
'Thank you, it's on You Paul' As in Paul Jacobs who if i'm right played piano and keyboards at that show.

As for the song i think it probably is meat's best. I think the idea of him doing it now sounds much better like an older man looking back on his one true love and how each relationship seems to fade as he compares the current woman to the lost love.

Great song, unlike anything else on BAT 1 which makes it so much better

I agree, would have much more meaning now if he performed it.
However when i first heard it, it hit me like a train and it still does now for different reasons. Fantastic song, very emotional on various levels. Makes me sad when i listen to it tho.
10/10

Bart
27 Dec 2006, 16:02
Thank you, its on you paul....

Well, Thanx. I never could figure it out. I think your explanation makes sense. I take a listen tonite.!

samurai7
28 Dec 2006, 18:27
That is just way too incitive Shaun

Oops - didn't norice that All Revved Up had already posted the same :oops:

Blackkat13
29 Dec 2006, 01:27
10/10 love it

tinkerbell
01 Jan 2007, 20:55
This is my all time favourite song. So its top marks. :heart:xx

White of High
04 Jan 2007, 11:53