PDA

View Full Version : Paul and John working with Brian May?

AndyNI
09 Apr 2004, 04:14
brianmay.com

Well, here's my "Unofficial" list of band members for Las Vegas ... I'm told the names have been published by our partner Michael Gill's office, and the 'runners up' notified with our thanks. The talent really was great ... it was very uncomfortable having not enough jobs for all the excellent players ..

Here's the WWRY BAND we chose....

MD/Keys 1 - Keith Thompson
Asst MD/Keys 2 - Phillip Fortenberry
Keys 3 - D. Gause-Snelson (she’s called “Dee” )

Guitar 1 - Paul Crook
Guitar 2 - David Hornbeck

Drums - John Micelli
Percussion - Jim Belk
Bass - Oliver Hofer

The titles "Guitar 1" and "Guitar 2" do not imply any preference or seniority - they just specify which "chair" they occupy. The two guitar parts are complimentary and they share the soloing, depending on which song ....

John Micelli is an old friend - I played with him when I guested with Meat Loaf a few years ago in London Wembley Arena. He's a truly magnificent drummer, quite reminiscent of Cozy to me in style, although he's very much an individual. Also a total gentleman, and inspiring to be around. I actually can't believe our luck in getting him! The rest of the band are all new discoveries for me, except for Paul Crook, whom I bumped into a few years ago when he was in ANTHRAX - we were on the same bill in Chicago. He's hugely fluid and juicy as a player (hope those are suitable epithets!) very tasteful and very modest as a person. The other axeman David Hornbeck just walked in and laid the parts down like he'd been doing it for months already - very incisive, rhythmic with a touch of danger! The two guys instantly complemented each other in the room, so I have very good feelings about this. Keith came highly recommended by more than one source, and he's very experienced at doing the MD job, as well as being a fine player himself. Philip quickly impressed us with his technique - a fine musician. And Dee (or is it "D" ??) just brought joy into the room - her playing matches her ebullience as a person - injecting much life into the score. Oliver comes originally from Germany, and, among a very fine collection of bass players who turned up to audition for us, he still managed to stand out - high precision, great style, and a natural blend with the drums. This leaves Jim Belk on percussion - we picked him for his range and sensitivity - and Roger was impressed by the tightness of his playing.

So there you have it - we have a band!

I'm very much hoping that some of the great musicians we weren't able to pick for the job will stay around and dep, and maybe eventually play in Toronto or elsewhere. .. it really was a great bunch of guys ..we're very privileged.

And for the WWRY VEGAS BAND - we are off and running. This show will be shorter than its English counterpart (due to Union restrictions) - but it sure will Rock just as hard!

Cheers

bri

So Paul and John are playing with Queen? Cool. 8)

I hear the We Will Rock You musical is quite good.

Emily
09 Apr 2004, 10:05
I gotta see this!!! http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/061.gif

Hope it comes over to the UK - with Paul :wink:

Emily

Gez
09 Apr 2004, 10:57
There you go Emily.....Paul's not sitting on his bum at home.... :D

bambi
09 Apr 2004, 16:09
it is here in the u.k,has been for the past 2 years i think, i haven't seen it but my dad has and says its great!! :D

Danny L
11 Apr 2004, 14:21
DOMINION THEATRE, TOTTENHAM CORT ROAD, LONDON W1

It's an EXCELLENT show by Ben Elton (Blackadder). I saw it last year with my school, and would love to see it again :D

I think theyve just changed the cast.

PATTI RUSSO SHOULD PLAY THE KILLER QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tukayaway
12 Apr 2004, 19:32
I've seen We Will Rock You three times now, and everytime it was great. Obviously it helps if you are a Queen fan, but it's not necessary.

I really wish I could have seen Patti with Queen in the Netherlands. :( All I have is a fantastic version of The Show Must Go On as an Mp3.

evil nickname
12 Apr 2004, 20:30
I really wish I could have seen Patti with Queen in the Netherlands. :( All I have is a fantastic version of The Show Must Go On as an Mp3.

I was there :p

It was supposed to be a suprise act, but it leaked earlier that morning. I was going to Amsterdam with friends that day anyway, and we decided to check it out.
To be honest, musically and performance-wise it was absolutely not the best thing I've ever seen and heared. It was a decent performance, and nothing more. No one, can beat Freddie at his own game.
I distinctly remember two things about that show: the first one being pleasantly suprised when the called Patti out for "Radio GaGa", and the second was when they started the intro to "We Will Rock You", and the whole field in front of me (I was halfway down the field, and the police reported an attendance of approx.100.000 people) was clapping their hands. Goosebumps.
Patt's version "The Show Must Go On" was easily the best thing they did that day, though.

Deb
29 May 2004, 12:55
Hi all

Finally got a few mins in between nappies to surf the net and found this on brianmay.com. Not sure if its been posted already, if it has, sorry :D if it hasnt, enjoy :)

http://www.brianmay.com/queen/wwry/lasvegas/band/band.html

if you click on band diary link theres a very cool entry from Paul. Just need John to get writing now :P

Deb

Heli
29 May 2004, 12:56
Oh i read it yesterday!! What a fab diary!! Now I just wanna see Johns now, too! :P

tbuck
30 May 2004, 08:59
Thanks Deb.

It would be very cool to see Paul and John in Vegas. Anyone else up for a road trip?

T

Deb
30 May 2004, 11:17
Thanks Deb.

It would be very cool to see Paul and John in Vegas. Anyone else up for a road trip?

T

Count me in T :D

KebLou
30 May 2004, 13:36
Thanks Deb.

T

Anyone know if its going to be on in NY and during the 6thJuly-10th July or 21st -26th July. Just wondering 8)

Heli
30 May 2004, 13:39
Thanks Deb.

T

Anyone know if its going to be on in NY and during the 6thJuly-10th July or 21st -26th July. Just wondering 8)

I'm guessing there'd be a different cast for NY. It says on Brian's site all the different places WWRY is on. :wink:

Dave
30 May 2004, 15:21
[Anyone know if its going to be on in NY and during the 6thJuly-10th July or 21st -26th July. Just wondering 8)

According to everything I have read, there are no active plans to bring WWRY to Broadway or NYC at this time.

Thank you,

Dave

Di
30 May 2004, 18:54
Thanks Deb.

T

Deb are you serious! That would be so great! Would love to see you there. :mrgreen:

Di 8)

Gina
30 May 2004, 20:09
I'll be there too!! Would love to see the show!! More than that..would love to see all you guys there!! :) Hope to see ya there! Take care..

Lots Of Love..
xxoo
~Gina 8)

Emily
30 May 2004, 20:10
I so want to go.....and see Paul... I would give anything...... I would give my right arm :cry:

Emily

Gina
31 May 2004, 21:50
Show is now set to start in Vegas on Aug. 16th with a US coast to coast tour coming in 2006!! :) Road trips anyone???? LOL

Love and Laughs...
xxoo
~Gina 8)

OH! this post made me a Senior Loafer too!! :)

Emily
01 Jun 2004, 12:41
BAH! http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb041.gif

tbuck
01 Sep 2004, 05:46
Anyone remember this...

Thanks Deb.

T

Well, we ARE going! Rock and Roll Dreams!

Deb and AndyK are flying over to meet a few suspicious characters, like David, Gina, Jules, myself and a few others to see the show on Sept. 14 @ 10:30 pm. The reason I bring this up is that there are 2 tickets people have paid for and now they can't make it.

So if you want to see this amazing show from 2nd row center, give me a holler. I'm not out any money on this, just trying to help out some friends who can't make it. I'm sure I can sell them in Vegas, but I'd rather have someone from here join us than a stranger. Tho who is stranger than the folks here. 8O

And Patti IS Killer Queen, too cool! :D

Rock on,
T